Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

The changes of syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation with syringomyelia.
Eur Spine J. 2017 04; 26(4):1019-1027.ES

Abstract

PURPOSE

The purpose of this study focuses on the changes of the syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of the basilar invagination (BI) and atlantoaxial dislocation (AAD) with syringomyelia.

METHODS

We retrospectively analyzed the clinical outcome and syrinx volume changes in 71 patients with BI, AAD and syringomyelia treated with the posterior reduction and fixation technique.

RESULTS

Clinical improvement was observed in 64 (90.1 %) patients postoperatively; 5 (7.0 %) were stable and 2 (2.8 %) were clinically aggravated. The postoperative Atlantodental interval became normal in 61 patients (86.0 %); showed reduction that was greater than 50 % but not complete in 5 patients (7.0 %); and reduction which was less than 50 % in 5 patients (7.0 %). The size of the syrinx was reduced postoperatively in 66 patients (93.0 %) while no change in the remaining 5 patients (7.0 %).

CONCLUSIONS

Posterior reduction and fixation of the AAD and BI can effectively enlarge the foramen magnum, improve the cerebrospinal fluid circulation and consequently reduce the volume of the syrinx.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China. Department of Neurosurgery, Beijing Hospital, National Center of Gerontology, Beijing, People's Republic of China.Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China.Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China. fengzengjian@hotmail.com.Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China.Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China.Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Spine, China International Neurological Institute, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

27554349

Citation

Wang, Zuowei, et al. "The Changes of Syrinx Volume After Posterior Reduction and Fixation of Basilar Invagination and Atlantoaxial Dislocation With Syringomyelia." European Spine Journal : Official Publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society, vol. 26, no. 4, 2017, pp. 1019-1027.
Wang Z, Wang X, Jian F, et al. The changes of syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation with syringomyelia. Eur Spine J. 2017;26(4):1019-1027.
Wang, Z., Wang, X., Jian, F., Zhang, C., Wu, H., & Chen, Z. (2017). The changes of syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation with syringomyelia. European Spine Journal : Official Publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society, 26(4), 1019-1027. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-016-4740-9
Wang Z, et al. The Changes of Syrinx Volume After Posterior Reduction and Fixation of Basilar Invagination and Atlantoaxial Dislocation With Syringomyelia. Eur Spine J. 2017;26(4):1019-1027. PubMed PMID: 27554349.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - The changes of syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of basilar invagination and atlantoaxial dislocation with syringomyelia. AU - Wang,Zuowei, AU - Wang,Xingwen, AU - Jian,Fengzeng, AU - Zhang,Can, AU - Wu,Hao, AU - Chen,Zan, Y1 - 2016/08/23/ PY - 2016/01/18/received PY - 2016/08/06/accepted PY - 2016/06/23/revised PY - 2016/8/25/pubmed PY - 2018/1/13/medline PY - 2016/8/25/entrez KW - Atlantoaxial dislocation KW - Basilar invagination KW - Chiari malformation KW - Reduction KW - Syringomyelia SP - 1019 EP - 1027 JF - European spine journal : official publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society JO - Eur Spine J VL - 26 IS - 4 N2 - PURPOSE: The purpose of this study focuses on the changes of the syrinx volume after posterior reduction and fixation of the basilar invagination (BI) and atlantoaxial dislocation (AAD) with syringomyelia. METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed the clinical outcome and syrinx volume changes in 71 patients with BI, AAD and syringomyelia treated with the posterior reduction and fixation technique. RESULTS: Clinical improvement was observed in 64 (90.1 %) patients postoperatively; 5 (7.0 %) were stable and 2 (2.8 %) were clinically aggravated. The postoperative Atlantodental interval became normal in 61 patients (86.0 %); showed reduction that was greater than 50 % but not complete in 5 patients (7.0 %); and reduction which was less than 50 % in 5 patients (7.0 %). The size of the syrinx was reduced postoperatively in 66 patients (93.0 %) while no change in the remaining 5 patients (7.0 %). CONCLUSIONS: Posterior reduction and fixation of the AAD and BI can effectively enlarge the foramen magnum, improve the cerebrospinal fluid circulation and consequently reduce the volume of the syrinx. SN - 1432-0932 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/27554349/The_changes_of_syrinx_volume_after_posterior_reduction_and_fixation_of_basilar_invagination_and_atlantoaxial_dislocation_with_syringomyelia_ L2 - https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-016-4740-9 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -