Atropine toxicity caused by erroneous intranasal administration in a pediatric patient: case report.Ann Saudi Med. 2019 Jul-Aug; 39(4):279-282.AS
A 28-month-old boy mistakenly received intranasal atropine sulfate instead of Otrivin (xylometazoline hydrochloride) for the treatment of adenoid hypertrophy. Later on, he came to the emergency department with anticholinergic manifestations after the administration of multiple drops. The child presented with a tonic-clonic seizure lasting for a few minutes, followed by a brief loss of consciousness, vomiting, agitation, and irritability, all of which were stabilized by a dose of intravenous lorazepam. Subsequently, he was admitted to the pediatric intensive care unit for observation. Afterwards, he developed agitation and unsteady gait, both of which resolved after receiving neostigmine. Eventually, the child became asymptomatic and was discharged home. To the best of our knowledge, only one similar case has been reported in the literature. SIMILAR CASES PUBLISHED: 1.