Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Association between intimate partner violence and utilization of facility delivery services in Nigeria: a propensity score matching analysis.
BMC Public Health. 2019 Aug 17; 19(1):1131.BP

Abstract

BACKGROUND

Intimate partner violence (IPV) has been shown to be associated with poor maternal healthcare utilisation and poor pregnancy outcomes. IPV can be seen both as the cause and result of low socioeconomic status and lack of maternal autonomy that can limit women's access to resources and motivation necessary for seeking healthcare during pregnancy. This paper aims to study the relationship between intimate partner violence (IPV) and the utilisation of facility delivery services in Nigeria.

METHODS

We applied propensity score matching (PSM) approach to examine the relationship between intimate partner violence (IPV) and the utilisation of facility delivery services. PSM is a popular strategy for reducing sampling bias through balancing sample characteristics, a technique that mimics randomization on cross-sectional data. Data were collected from Nigeria DHS surveys conducted in 2008 and 2013. IPV was the main explanatory variable of interest for delivery at health facility which was defined as delivering at any health institution including health clinics.

RESULTS

PSM generated 20,446 cases distributed into two equal groups i.e. those who delivered at health facility versus those who did not. The prevalence of facility delivery in 2013 was 56.8% (95%CI 55.0-58.6) indicating a moderate increase from its 2008 level of 43.2% (41.4-45.0%). Lifetime prevalence of emotional, physical and sexual abuse was respectively 21.5%(95%CI 20.6, 22.4), 14.9% (14.2, 15.7) and 5.0% (4.6-5.4). In the multivariable analysis after adjusting for potential confounders, ever experiencing emotional abuse was associated increased odds of not delivering at a health facility. (AOR = 1.228, 95%CI, 1.095-1.679).

CONCLUSION

Women experiencing emotional violence are less likely to use institutional delivery services, and hence are susceptible to increased risk of reproductive complications. IPV is a complex issue that needs to be tackled by introducing evidence based strategies contextually relevant to local sociocultural environment. Further studies are required to understand the roots of IPV and the pathways through which it hindrances healthcare utilisation among women.

Authors+Show Affiliations

The George Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK. sanni.yaya@wrh.ox.ac.uk.Faculty of Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.School of International Development and Global Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

31420028

Citation

Yaya, Sanni, et al. "Association Between Intimate Partner Violence and Utilization of Facility Delivery Services in Nigeria: a Propensity Score Matching Analysis." BMC Public Health, vol. 19, no. 1, 2019, p. 1131.
Yaya S, Gunawardena N, Bishwajit G. Association between intimate partner violence and utilization of facility delivery services in Nigeria: a propensity score matching analysis. BMC Public Health. 2019;19(1):1131.
Yaya, S., Gunawardena, N., & Bishwajit, G. (2019). Association between intimate partner violence and utilization of facility delivery services in Nigeria: a propensity score matching analysis. BMC Public Health, 19(1), 1131. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7470-1
Yaya S, Gunawardena N, Bishwajit G. Association Between Intimate Partner Violence and Utilization of Facility Delivery Services in Nigeria: a Propensity Score Matching Analysis. BMC Public Health. 2019 Aug 17;19(1):1131. PubMed PMID: 31420028.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Association between intimate partner violence and utilization of facility delivery services in Nigeria: a propensity score matching analysis. AU - Yaya,Sanni, AU - Gunawardena,Nathali, AU - Bishwajit,Ghose, Y1 - 2019/08/17/ PY - 2018/11/14/received PY - 2019/08/11/accepted PY - 2019/8/18/entrez PY - 2019/8/20/pubmed PY - 2019/11/5/medline KW - Demographic and health survey KW - Facility delivery KW - Global health KW - Intimate partner violence KW - Nigeria SP - 1131 EP - 1131 JF - BMC public health JO - BMC Public Health VL - 19 IS - 1 N2 - BACKGROUND: Intimate partner violence (IPV) has been shown to be associated with poor maternal healthcare utilisation and poor pregnancy outcomes. IPV can be seen both as the cause and result of low socioeconomic status and lack of maternal autonomy that can limit women's access to resources and motivation necessary for seeking healthcare during pregnancy. This paper aims to study the relationship between intimate partner violence (IPV) and the utilisation of facility delivery services in Nigeria. METHODS: We applied propensity score matching (PSM) approach to examine the relationship between intimate partner violence (IPV) and the utilisation of facility delivery services. PSM is a popular strategy for reducing sampling bias through balancing sample characteristics, a technique that mimics randomization on cross-sectional data. Data were collected from Nigeria DHS surveys conducted in 2008 and 2013. IPV was the main explanatory variable of interest for delivery at health facility which was defined as delivering at any health institution including health clinics. RESULTS: PSM generated 20,446 cases distributed into two equal groups i.e. those who delivered at health facility versus those who did not. The prevalence of facility delivery in 2013 was 56.8% (95%CI 55.0-58.6) indicating a moderate increase from its 2008 level of 43.2% (41.4-45.0%). Lifetime prevalence of emotional, physical and sexual abuse was respectively 21.5%(95%CI 20.6, 22.4), 14.9% (14.2, 15.7) and 5.0% (4.6-5.4). In the multivariable analysis after adjusting for potential confounders, ever experiencing emotional abuse was associated increased odds of not delivering at a health facility. (AOR = 1.228, 95%CI, 1.095-1.679). CONCLUSION: Women experiencing emotional violence are less likely to use institutional delivery services, and hence are susceptible to increased risk of reproductive complications. IPV is a complex issue that needs to be tackled by introducing evidence based strategies contextually relevant to local sociocultural environment. Further studies are required to understand the roots of IPV and the pathways through which it hindrances healthcare utilisation among women. SN - 1471-2458 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/31420028/Association_between_intimate_partner_violence_and_utilization_of_facility_delivery_services_in_Nigeria:_a_propensity_score_matching_analysis_ L2 - https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7470-1 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -