Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19.
Neurologia (Engl Ed). 2020 Nov - Dec; 35(9):633-638.N

Abstract

INTRODUCTION

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has spread rapidly throughout the world. Smell and/or taste disorders have emerged as a very frequent symptom as the disease has spread in Europe. Spain is one of the European countries with the highest number of infections.

OBJECTIVE

This study aimed to investigate the clinical progression of smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19.

METHODS

An online survey was used to conduct a cross-sectional study of patients who presented sudden smell and/or taste disorders during the 2 months of total lockdown due to COVID-19 in Spain.

RESULTS

In our sample, 91.18% of respondents with impaired smell and/or taste and who were able to undergo PCR testing were positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection. Anosmia and ageusia presented in isolation in 6.5% of participants. The remaining 93.5% presented other mild symptoms: headache (51.6%), cough (51.6%), myalgia (45.2%), asthaenia (38.7%), nasal congestion or rhinorrhoea (35.5%), fever (41.9%), low-grade fever (29.0%), odynophagia (25.8%), or diarrhoea (6.5%). The mean duration of anosmia was 8.33 days, with patients subsequently manifesting hyposmia; complete resolution occurred after a mean of 17.79 days. In 22.6% of respondents, olfactory deficits persisted. All participants recovered their sense of taste.

CONCLUSIONS

Olfactory and gustatory disorders are prevalent symptoms in mild COVID-19. Most patients do not present associated nasal congestion or rhinorrhoea and a small group of patients present these alterations in isolation.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Servicio de Neurofisiología Clínica, Complejo Asistencial de Zamora, Zamora, España. Electronic address: mdjohanna.29@gmail.com.Servicio de Neurofisiología Clínica, Complejo Asistencial de Zamora, Zamora, España.Servicio de Neurofisiología, Hospital Santa Cristina, Madrid, España.Servizio di Neurologia, Azienda Sanitaria delĺAlto Adige, Brunico, Bolzano, Italia.Servicio de Salud Laboral, Complejo Asistencial de Zamora, Zamora, España.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Observational Study

Language

eng spa

PubMed ID

32900532

Citation

Barón-Sánchez, J, et al. "Smell and Taste Disorders in Spanish Patients With Mild COVID-19." Neurologia (Barcelona, Spain), vol. 35, no. 9, 2020, pp. 633-638.
Barón-Sánchez J, Santiago C, Goizueta-San Martín G, et al. Smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19. Neurologia (Engl Ed). 2020;35(9):633-638.
Barón-Sánchez, J., Santiago, C., Goizueta-San Martín, G., Arca, R., & Fernández, R. (2020). Smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19. Neurologia (Barcelona, Spain), 35(9), 633-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nrl.2020.07.006
Barón-Sánchez J, et al. Smell and Taste Disorders in Spanish Patients With Mild COVID-19. Neurologia (Engl Ed). 2020 Nov - Dec;35(9):633-638. PubMed PMID: 32900532.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19. AU - Barón-Sánchez,J, AU - Santiago,C, AU - Goizueta-San Martín,G, AU - Arca,R, AU - Fernández,R, Y1 - 2020/07/28/ PY - 2020/05/30/received PY - 2020/06/11/revised PY - 2020/07/19/accepted PY - 2020/9/10/pubmed PY - 2020/11/28/medline PY - 2020/9/9/entrez KW - Ageusia KW - Anosmia KW - COVID-19 KW - Hiposmia KW - Hyposmia KW - Pandemia KW - Pandemic SP - 633 EP - 638 JF - Neurologia (Barcelona, Spain) JO - Neurologia (Engl Ed) VL - 35 IS - 9 N2 - INTRODUCTION: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has spread rapidly throughout the world. Smell and/or taste disorders have emerged as a very frequent symptom as the disease has spread in Europe. Spain is one of the European countries with the highest number of infections. OBJECTIVE: This study aimed to investigate the clinical progression of smell and taste disorders in Spanish patients with mild COVID-19. METHODS: An online survey was used to conduct a cross-sectional study of patients who presented sudden smell and/or taste disorders during the 2 months of total lockdown due to COVID-19 in Spain. RESULTS: In our sample, 91.18% of respondents with impaired smell and/or taste and who were able to undergo PCR testing were positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection. Anosmia and ageusia presented in isolation in 6.5% of participants. The remaining 93.5% presented other mild symptoms: headache (51.6%), cough (51.6%), myalgia (45.2%), asthaenia (38.7%), nasal congestion or rhinorrhoea (35.5%), fever (41.9%), low-grade fever (29.0%), odynophagia (25.8%), or diarrhoea (6.5%). The mean duration of anosmia was 8.33 days, with patients subsequently manifesting hyposmia; complete resolution occurred after a mean of 17.79 days. In 22.6% of respondents, olfactory deficits persisted. All participants recovered their sense of taste. CONCLUSIONS: Olfactory and gustatory disorders are prevalent symptoms in mild COVID-19. Most patients do not present associated nasal congestion or rhinorrhoea and a small group of patients present these alterations in isolation. SN - 2173-5808 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/32900532/Smell_and_taste_disorders_in_Spanish_patients_with_mild_COVID_19_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0213-4853(20)30233-4 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -