Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Screening and genotyping of Orientia tsutsugamushi from field-collected on-host chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) recovered from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia.
Exp Appl Acarol. 2021 May; 84(1):171-182.EA

Abstract

Orientia tsutsugamushi is the causative agent of scrub typhus vectored by larval stages of trombiculid mites (chiggers) that occur in most tropical regions of Southeast Asia. A total of 242 chiggers extracted from eight small mammals captured from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia, were screened for the presence of O. tsutsugamushi. The chiggers were grouped in 16 pools for extraction of DNA prior to screening of O. tsutsugamushi based on the nucleotide sequence of 56-kDa type specific antigen (TSA) gene using nested polymerase chain reaction. Two species of on-host chiggers were identified, the one, Leptotrombidium deliense, much more dominant (94.8%) than the other, Ascoshoengastia sp. (5.2%). The pathogen was detected in two pools (12.5%) of L. deliense recovered from Rattus rattus and Tupaia sp. The 56-kDa TSA gene sequence analysis revealed the O. tsutsugamushi harboured in those chiggers were Karp prototype strain with high similarity (99.3%). Findings of this study strongly supported the existence of scrub typhus infections in certain parts of Malaysia which agrees with previous local reports. Moreover, this study highlighted the pressing need of a large-scale close observation of O. tsutsugamushi DNA sequences from chiggers that can probably be collected from other positive scrub typhus localities to precisely provide the distribution and prevalence of this zoonotic pathogen.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Infectious Diseases Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research (IMR), National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Acarology Unit, Jalan Setia Murni U13/52, Seksyen U13, Setia Alam, 40170, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia. erniee@moh.gov.my.Disease Control Division, Entomology and Pest Unit, Kelantan State Health Department, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Jalan Mahmood, 15200, Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia.Infectious Diseases Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research (IMR), National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Acarology Unit, Jalan Setia Murni U13/52, Seksyen U13, Setia Alam, 40170, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.Infectious Diseases Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research (IMR), National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Acarology Unit, Jalan Setia Murni U13/52, Seksyen U13, Setia Alam, 40170, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.Infectious Diseases Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research (IMR), National Institutes of Health, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Acarology Unit, Jalan Setia Murni U13/52, Seksyen U13, Setia Alam, 40170, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

33826009

Citation

Ernieenor, F C L., et al. "Screening and Genotyping of Orientia Tsutsugamushi From Field-collected On-host Chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) Recovered From a Positive Scrub Typhus Locality in Kelantan, Malaysia." Experimental & Applied Acarology, vol. 84, no. 1, 2021, pp. 171-182.
Ernieenor FCL, NorJaiza MJ, Fadillah A, et al. Screening and genotyping of Orientia tsutsugamushi from field-collected on-host chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) recovered from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia. Exp Appl Acarol. 2021;84(1):171-182.
Ernieenor, F. C. L., NorJaiza, M. J., Fadillah, A., Canedy, J., & Mariana, A. (2021). Screening and genotyping of Orientia tsutsugamushi from field-collected on-host chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) recovered from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia. Experimental & Applied Acarology, 84(1), 171-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10493-021-00609-3
Ernieenor FCL, et al. Screening and Genotyping of Orientia Tsutsugamushi From Field-collected On-host Chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) Recovered From a Positive Scrub Typhus Locality in Kelantan, Malaysia. Exp Appl Acarol. 2021;84(1):171-182. PubMed PMID: 33826009.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Screening and genotyping of Orientia tsutsugamushi from field-collected on-host chiggers (Acari: Prostigmata) recovered from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia. AU - Ernieenor,F C L, AU - NorJaiza,M J, AU - Fadillah,A, AU - Canedy,J, AU - Mariana,A, Y1 - 2021/04/07/ PY - 2020/11/30/received PY - 2021/03/15/accepted PY - 2021/4/8/pubmed PY - 2021/5/11/medline PY - 2021/4/7/entrez KW - 56-kDa TSA gene KW - Chigger KW - Orientia tsutsugamushi KW - Scrub typhus SP - 171 EP - 182 JF - Experimental & applied acarology JO - Exp Appl Acarol VL - 84 IS - 1 N2 - Orientia tsutsugamushi is the causative agent of scrub typhus vectored by larval stages of trombiculid mites (chiggers) that occur in most tropical regions of Southeast Asia. A total of 242 chiggers extracted from eight small mammals captured from a positive scrub typhus locality in Kelantan, Malaysia, were screened for the presence of O. tsutsugamushi. The chiggers were grouped in 16 pools for extraction of DNA prior to screening of O. tsutsugamushi based on the nucleotide sequence of 56-kDa type specific antigen (TSA) gene using nested polymerase chain reaction. Two species of on-host chiggers were identified, the one, Leptotrombidium deliense, much more dominant (94.8%) than the other, Ascoshoengastia sp. (5.2%). The pathogen was detected in two pools (12.5%) of L. deliense recovered from Rattus rattus and Tupaia sp. The 56-kDa TSA gene sequence analysis revealed the O. tsutsugamushi harboured in those chiggers were Karp prototype strain with high similarity (99.3%). Findings of this study strongly supported the existence of scrub typhus infections in certain parts of Malaysia which agrees with previous local reports. Moreover, this study highlighted the pressing need of a large-scale close observation of O. tsutsugamushi DNA sequences from chiggers that can probably be collected from other positive scrub typhus localities to precisely provide the distribution and prevalence of this zoonotic pathogen. SN - 1572-9702 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/33826009/Screening_and_genotyping_of_Orientia_tsutsugamushi_from_field_collected_on_host_chiggers__Acari:_Prostigmata__recovered_from_a_positive_scrub_typhus_locality_in_Kelantan_Malaysia_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -