Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Acceptance of COVID-19 booster vaccination based on the protection motivation theory: A cross-sectional study in China.
J Med Virol. 2022 09; 94(9):4115-4124.JM

Abstract

The promotion of the booster shots against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is an open issue to be discussed. Little is known about the public intention and the influencing factors regarding the booster vaccine. A cross-sectional survey in Chinese adults was conducted using an online questionnaire, which designed on the basis of protection motivation theory (PMT) scale and vaccine hesitancy scale (VHS). Hierarchical multiple regression was used to compare the fitness of the PMT scale and VHS for predicting booster vaccination intention. Multivariable logistic regression was used to analyze the factors associated with the acceptance. Six thousand three hundred twenty-one (76.8%) of participants were willing to take the booster shot. However, the rest of the participants (23.2%) were still hesitant to take the booster vaccine. The PMT scale was more powerful than the VHS in explaining the vaccination intention. Participants with high perceived severity (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 0.69) and response cost (aOR = 0.47) were less willing to take the booster shots, but participants with high perceived susceptibility (aOR = 1.19), response efficacy (aOR = 2.13), and self-efficacy (aOR = 3.33) were more willing to take the booster shots. In summary, interventions based on PMT can provide guidance to ensure the acceptance of the booster vaccine.

Authors+Show Affiliations

School of Public Health (Shenzhen), Shenzhen Campus of Sun Yat-sen University, Shenzhen, China.School of Public Health (Shenzhen), Shenzhen Campus of Sun Yat-sen University, Shenzhen, China.School of Public Health (Shenzhen), Shenzhen Campus of Sun Yat-sen University, Shenzhen, China.School of Public Health (Shenzhen), Shenzhen Campus of Sun Yat-sen University, Shenzhen, China.Huadu Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guangzhou, China.Recheng Community Health Service Station of Huadu District Huashan Town Health Center, Guangzhou, China.Huadu Vaccination Clinic of Tanbu Town Central Health Center, Guangzhou, China.Shiling Town Synthetic Community Health Service Center of Huadu District, Guangzhou, China.Jianshebei Community Health Service Center of Huadu District, Guangzhou, China.Nanshan District Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shenzhen, China.Guangzhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guangzhou, China.Huadu Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guangzhou, China.School of Public Health (Shenzhen), Shenzhen Campus of Sun Yat-sen University, Shenzhen, China. Key Laboratory of Tropical Disease Control (Sun Yat-sen University), Ministry of Education, Guangzhou, China.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

35506329

Citation

Wu, Fan, et al. "Acceptance of COVID-19 Booster Vaccination Based On the Protection Motivation Theory: a Cross-sectional Study in China." Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 94, no. 9, 2022, pp. 4115-4124.
Wu F, Yuan Y, Deng Z, et al. Acceptance of COVID-19 booster vaccination based on the protection motivation theory: A cross-sectional study in China. J Med Virol. 2022;94(9):4115-4124.
Wu, F., Yuan, Y., Deng, Z., Yin, D., Shen, Q., Zeng, J., Xie, Y., Xu, M., Yang, M., Jiang, S., Zhang, C., Lu, H., & Sun, C. (2022). Acceptance of COVID-19 booster vaccination based on the protection motivation theory: A cross-sectional study in China. Journal of Medical Virology, 94(9), 4115-4124. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.27825
Wu F, et al. Acceptance of COVID-19 Booster Vaccination Based On the Protection Motivation Theory: a Cross-sectional Study in China. J Med Virol. 2022;94(9):4115-4124. PubMed PMID: 35506329.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Acceptance of COVID-19 booster vaccination based on the protection motivation theory: A cross-sectional study in China. AU - Wu,Fan, AU - Yuan,Yue, AU - Deng,Zhaomin, AU - Yin,Di, AU - Shen,Qiufeng, AU - Zeng,Jiehua, AU - Xie,Yanhong, AU - Xu,Meifen, AU - Yang,Meiyi, AU - Jiang,Shiqiang, AU - Zhang,Chunhuan, AU - Lu,Huixi, AU - Sun,Caijun, Y1 - 2022/05/09/ PY - 2022/04/12/revised PY - 2022/02/27/received PY - 2022/04/30/accepted PY - 2022/5/5/pubmed PY - 2022/7/16/medline PY - 2022/5/4/entrez KW - COVID-19 KW - booster vaccine KW - protection motivation theory KW - vaccine hesitancy SP - 4115 EP - 4124 JF - Journal of medical virology JO - J Med Virol VL - 94 IS - 9 N2 - The promotion of the booster shots against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection is an open issue to be discussed. Little is known about the public intention and the influencing factors regarding the booster vaccine. A cross-sectional survey in Chinese adults was conducted using an online questionnaire, which designed on the basis of protection motivation theory (PMT) scale and vaccine hesitancy scale (VHS). Hierarchical multiple regression was used to compare the fitness of the PMT scale and VHS for predicting booster vaccination intention. Multivariable logistic regression was used to analyze the factors associated with the acceptance. Six thousand three hundred twenty-one (76.8%) of participants were willing to take the booster shot. However, the rest of the participants (23.2%) were still hesitant to take the booster vaccine. The PMT scale was more powerful than the VHS in explaining the vaccination intention. Participants with high perceived severity (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 0.69) and response cost (aOR = 0.47) were less willing to take the booster shots, but participants with high perceived susceptibility (aOR = 1.19), response efficacy (aOR = 2.13), and self-efficacy (aOR = 3.33) were more willing to take the booster shots. In summary, interventions based on PMT can provide guidance to ensure the acceptance of the booster vaccine. SN - 1096-9071 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/35506329/Acceptance_of_COVID_19_booster_vaccination_based_on_the_protection_motivation_theory:_A_cross_sectional_study_in_China_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -