Lead poisoning in feeder calves.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1978 Feb 15; 172(4):498-500.JA
A group of 90 feeder calves was accidentally exposed to lead for approximately 30 days. The source of the intoxication was determined to be contamination of feed ingredients from a railroad car. Fourteen calves died and 8 more were clinically affected. Blood samples were obtained from 24 exposed calves (16 clinically normal and 8 intoxicated), and the samples were analyzed for lead, delta-amino levulinic acid dehydrase activity, and free erythrocyte porphyrin. Blood lead values ranged from 0.44 to 1.16 parts per million. Amino levulinic acid dehydrase activity was not affected enough to be of diagnostic value, whereas free erythrocyte porphyrin was increased dramatically and consistently in lead-exposed cattle.