- Involvement of XBP1s in Blue Light-Induced A2E-Containing Retinal Pigment Epithelium Cell Death. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 19
- CONCLUSIONS: A2E, along with blue light, brought about apoptosis and necroptosis of ARPE19 cells, and XBP1s was transiently elevated. The suppression of XBP1s induced ARPE19 cell death by promoting apoptosis rather than necroptosis. XBP1s might play a role in the pathogenesis of retinal degenerative diseases.
- MicroRNA-126 Reduces Blood-Retina Barrier Breakdown via the Regulation of VCAM-1 and BCL2L11 in Ischemic Retinopathy. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 12
- To evaluate the role of microRNA-126 (miR-126) in maintaining the integrity of the blood-retina barrier (BRB), we established a mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy (OIR) and measured the retina...
To evaluate the role of microRNA-126 (miR-126) in maintaining the integrity of the blood-retina barrier (BRB), we established a mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy (OIR) and measured the retinal levels of miR-126 using recombinant plasmid pCMV-MIR or pCMV-MIR-126 intravitreal injections. We also detected VCAM-1 and BCL2L11 levels. Retinal vaso-obliteration, VCAM-1 localization on retinal endothelial cells, the blood-retina vascular permeability or albumin leakage in retinas, TUNEL histology, Evans blue assays, or Western blotting for detecting albumin or tight junction levels in the retina was performed. We also detected the effect of miR-126 on the survival of Müller cells in a mouse model using vimentin fluorescence staining. Our results suggested that miR-126 may not only regulate the overexpression of VCAM-1 or BCL2L11 and lead to the reduction of retinal endothelial cell apoptosis, retinal vascular leakage, or retinal permeability in the OIR mouse model, but may also protect hypoxic retinal Müller cells via the STAT3 signaling pathway. We believe that miR-126 could also be a potential therapeutic agent to maintain the stability of the BRB in ischemic retinopathy.
- Open-Angle Glaucoma: Drug Development Pipeline during the Last 20 Years (1995-2015). [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 12
- CONCLUSIONS: Research into the medical treatment of glaucoma indicates the use of prostaglandin analogues. However, there are a significant number of trials testing other drug classes, particularly Rho-kinase inhibitors. This new focus could lead to a potential increase in the number of therapeutical options for the management of glaucoma in the future.
- Relationship between the Pathogenesis of Glaucoma and miRNA. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 11
- Small RNA (microRNA or miRNA) is a kind of small noncoding single-stranded RNA that regulates complementary mRNA at the posttranscriptional level in eukaryotic organisms. As important regulatory fact...
Small RNA (microRNA or miRNA) is a kind of small noncoding single-stranded RNA that regulates complementary mRNA at the posttranscriptional level in eukaryotic organisms. As important regulatory factors, miRNAs play an important role in the occurrence and development of glaucoma and widely participate in regulating biological processes of glaucoma-related genes. This article reviews the connection between the aqueous humor, trabecular meshwork, the apoptosis of retinal ganglion cells, and miRNA.
- Evaluation of the Macular Ganglion Cell-Inner Plexiform Layer and the Circumpapillary Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer in Early to Severe Stages of Glaucoma: Correlation with Central Visual Function and Visual Field Indexes. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 10
- CONCLUSIONS: Inner macular parameters performed as well as cpRNFL in patients with different stages of glaucoma. Inferior macular GCIPL sectors, minimum GCIPL thickness, and the inferior cpRNFL quadrant best differentiate disease severity and correlate with central visual function and VF indexes.
- Development of a Normative Database for Multifocal Electroretinography in the Context of a Multicenter Clinical Trial. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017 Jan 05; 57(2):107-117
- CONCLUSIONS: This normative database can be used as a comparative index of expected normal values in the clinical setting and for examining the effect of studies testing neuroprotective agents.
- Long-Term Anatomical and Functional Outcomes after Combined Cataract and Idiopathic Epiretinal Membrane Surgery. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2016 Dec 20
- CONCLUSIONS: After combined cataract and idiopathic ERM surgery, BCVA and FT improved rapidly. Most functional and anatomical recovery took place within the first 6 months, but this did not preclude late improvement, in particular in patients with the most disorganized photoreceptor layers. At each time point, the amount of photoreceptor damage seemed closely correlated with visual acuity, but concerning FT, this relationship remains questionable.
- Hyperosmolarity and Benzalkonium Chloride Differently Stimulate Inflammatory Markers in Conjunctiva-Derived Epithelial Cells in vitro. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2016 Dec 10
- Tear hyperosmolarity is known to cause ocular surface inflammation in dry eye syndrome. Benzalkonium chloride (BAK), an eyedrop preservative, is known to induce dry eye in long-term-treated patients....
Tear hyperosmolarity is known to cause ocular surface inflammation in dry eye syndrome. Benzalkonium chloride (BAK), an eyedrop preservative, is known to induce dry eye in long-term-treated patients. Analyzing the modulation of the proinflammatory potential of hyperosmolarity in the presence of BAK on the conjunctiva could give new insights into the effect of this preservative on the disease. In a hyperosmolar model on a conjunctiva-derived cell line, and in the presence of BAK, we evaluated key inflammatory markers [CCL2, IL-8, IL-6, macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) and intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1] as well as the osmoprotectant element nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT)5 using ELISA, RT-qPCR or immunofluorescence staining. Hyperosmolarity highly stimulated CCL2 and NFAT5 in these cells. BAK alone only increased IL-6 expression. The stress-combined condition stimulated CCL2, NFAT5, MIF and IL-8 secretion. ICAM-1 was not modulated by any of the conditions tested. In this model, hyperosmolarity and BAK induced the release of different proinflammatory mediators, and, when combined, they lead to the release of additional inflammatory cytokines. This in vitro study highlights the importance of avoiding long-term ophthalmic treatments containing BAK, as tear film hyperosmolarity can be a result of its detergent action.
- Dexamethasone Implant in Chronic Diabetic Macular Edema Resistant to Intravitreal Ranibizumab Treatment. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2016 12 08
- CONCLUSIONS: IDI provides significant benefits in visual acuity gains and anatomic improvements in eyes with chronic DME that are resistant to IR treatment. Increases in IOP and cataract progression can be observed in IDI-treated patients. However, its safety profile is acceptable.
New Search Next
- SIRCOVA-OFTARED Joined Congress Abstracts. Valencia (Spain), June 30-July 2, 2016: Abstracts. [Journal Article]
- OROphthalmic Res 2017; 57(1):13-31