- Antipsychotic Prescriptions Among Adults With Major Depressive Disorder in Office-Based Outpatient Settings: National Trends From 2006 to 2015. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Psychiatry 2018 Feb 13; 79(2)
- CONCLUSIONS: Antipsychotics, prescribed for about one-fifth of adults with MDD, increased and then declined from 2006 to 2015, reflecting, first, FDA approval and then concern about adverse effects in the elderly. Future research should track evolving trends following the publication of evidence of greater long-term effectiveness of antipsychotic than antidepressant next-step therapy in adults with MDD.
- Src is the primary target of aripiprazole, an atypical antipsychotic drug, in its anti-tumor action. [Journal Article]
- OOncotarget 2018 Jan 19; 9(5):5979-5992
- Aripiprazole (ARP) is an atypical anti-psychotic drug widely used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The pharmacological effects of ARP on cancer cells are still poorly understood. In this ...
Aripiprazole (ARP) is an atypical anti-psychotic drug widely used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The pharmacological effects of ARP on cancer cells are still poorly understood. In this study, anti-cancer effects of ARP on various malignant tumor cells and its molecular mechanism were further carefully examined by using cell proliferation assay, xenograft mouse model, immunoblotting analysis, migration assay, luciferase reporter gene assay, kinase assay, and overexpression strategy. Treatment with ARP induced cytotoxicity in U251 glioma cells, MKN-1 gastric adenosquamous carcinoma cells, and CT26 colon carcinoma cells. ARP suppressed cell proliferation of LN428, MDA-MB-231, and HEK293 cells. Pro-apoptotic factors active caspase-3, -8, and -9, as well as p53, were upregulated, whereas the protein and mRNA levels of anti-apoptotic factor B-cell lymphoma 2 (Bcl-2) decreased. In agreement with thein vitroresults, ARP compound also significantly suppressed the growth of tumor masses formed by injecting CT26 colon cancer cells into mice. ARP treatment also effectively decreased the migratory ability of U251 glioma cells by downregulating metalloproteinase-9. Levels of phosphorylated Src, phosphorylated phosphatidylinositide 3-kinase (PI3K), and phosphorylated signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) were significantly decreased following ARP treatment. ARP compound reduced the kinase activity of Src. Our studies suggest that Src may be an important target molecule linked to the antitumor effects of ARP.
- Going the distance: reviewing antipsychotic depot or long-acting injectable treatments in Australasia. [Journal Article]
- APAustralas Psychiatry 2018 Feb 01; :1039856218758559
- CONCLUSIONS: LAI antipsychotics are an important and arguably under-utilised therapeutic option, particularly where medication adherence is a priority, and where an informed patient opts for this formulation. Paliperidone is the first three-monthly LAI antipsychotic, and as such represents a significant advance in the range of treatment choices.
- Review of the evidence for the management of co-morbid Tic disorders in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. [Review]
- WJWorld J Clin Pediatr 2018 Feb 08; 7(1):36-42
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is the most common neurodevelopmental disorder in children and adolescents, with prevalence ranging between 5% and 12% in the developed countries. Tic ...
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is the most common neurodevelopmental disorder in children and adolescents, with prevalence ranging between 5% and 12% in the developed countries. Tic disorders (TD) are common co-morbidities in paediatric ADHD patients with or without pharmacotherapy treatment. There has been conflicting evidence of the role of psychostimulants in either precipitating or exacerbating TDs in ADHD patients. We carried out a literature review relating to the management of TDs in children and adolescents with ADHD through a comprehensive search of MEDLINE, EMBASE, CINAHL and Cochrane databases. No quantitative synthesis (meta-analysis) was deemed appropriate. Meta-analysis of controlled trials does not support an association between new onset or worsening of tics and normal doses of psychostimulant use. Supratherapeutic doses of dextroamphetamine have been shown to exacerbate TD. Most tics are mild or moderate and respond to psychoeducation and behavioural management. Level A evidence support the use of alpha adrenergic agonists, including Clonidine and Guanfacine, reuptake noradrenenaline inhibitors (Atomoxetine) and stimulants (Methylphenidate and Dexamphetamines) for the treatment of Tics and comorbid ADHD. Priority should be given to the management of co-morbid Tourette's syndrome (TS) or severely disabling tics in children and adolescents with ADHD. Severe TDs may require antipsychotic treatment. Antipsychotics, especially Aripiprazole, are safe and effective treatment for TS or severe Tics, but they only moderately control the co-occurring ADHD symptomatology. Short vignettes of different common clinical scenarios are presented to help clinicians determine the most appropriate treatment to consider in each patient presenting with ADHD and co-morbid TDs.
- Antipsychotic Prescribing and Safety Monitoring Practices in Children and Youth: A Population-Based Study in Alberta, Canada. [Journal Article]
- CDClin Drug Investig 2018 Feb 16
- CONCLUSIONS: The majority of antipsychotic use in children in Alberta is off-label and associated with disruptive behavior disorders, depression, and anxiety disorders. The vast majority of children prescribed antipsychotic medications do not undergo recommended laboratory tests.
- Aripiprazole induced neck dystonia and oculogyric crisis. [Letter]
- AJAsian J Psychiatr 2018 Feb 10; 31:94-95
- Efficacy, acceptability, and safety of adjunctive aripiprazole in treatment-resistant depression: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. [Journal Article]
- NDNeuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2018; 14:467-477
- CONCLUSIONS: The adjunctive aripiprazole showed benefits in improving the response rate, remission rate, and the quality of life in patients with TRD. However, clinicians should interpret these findings with caution due to the evidence of potential treatment-related side effects.
- ABCB1 1199G>A Polymorphism Impacts Transport Ability of P-gp-Mediated Antipsychotics. [Journal Article]
- DCDNA Cell Biol 2018 Feb 14
- The alterations in P-glycoprotein (P-gp)-mediated transport of antipsychotics due to the ABCB1 1199G>A polymorphism were assessed in the current study. The ABCB1wtand ABCB11199Arecombinant cell model...
The alterations in P-glycoprotein (P-gp)-mediated transport of antipsychotics due to the ABCB1 1199G>A polymorphism were assessed in the current study. The ABCB1wtand ABCB11199Arecombinant cell models were constructed to study the sensitivity, intracellular accumulation, and transepithelial permeability of antipsychotic drugs. ABCB11199Arecombinant cells had more sensitivity to olanzapine (2.2-fold, p < 0.01), aripiprazole (1.8-fold, p < 0.01), amisulpride (2.3-fold, p < 0.01), and risperidone (3.1-fold, p < 0.01) than ABCB1wtcells, while the resistance to paliperidone in both recombinant cell models was similar. In addition, the uptake quality of olanzapine, aripiprazole, amisulpride, and risperidone in ABCB11199Arecombinant cells was greatly decreased compared to ABCB1wtcells (3.2-fold, p < 0.01; 3.7-fold, p < 0.01; 3.1-fold, p < 0.01; 2.6-fold, and p < 0.01, respectively). Furthermore, apparent permeability values were greatly increased in ABCB11199Arecombinant cells compared with ABCB1wtrecombinant cells for olanzapine (2.7-fold, p < 0.01), aripiprazole (2.9-fold, p < 0.01), amisulpride (3.4-fold, p < 0.01), and risperidone (4.1-fold, p < 0.01). The influence of ABCB1 1199G>A polymorphism on the transport of P-gp-mediated substrates showed up as drug-specific. Collectively, the ABCB1 1199G>A polymorphism may impact effective antipsychotics concentration in target cells via mediating the agents transport and distribution.
- Pharmacoinformatics and Molecular Docking studies reveal potential novel compounds against Schizophrenia by target SYN II. [Journal Article]
- CCComb Chem High Throughput Screen 2018 Feb 12
- CONCLUSIONS: It was proposed that Aripiprazole drug and scrutinized compounds have strong binding affinities among the other selected drugs. The reported compounds may use for further analyses in the drug discovery processes and it has been identified as a good human intestinal absorption and non-carcinogenic. The present study provides the structural insights which may be used for further understating of the Schizophrenia therapeutic purposes by targeting SYN II and others inhibitors haunting.
New Search Next
- Therapeutic drug monitoring of atypical antipsychotics. [Review]
- PPPsychiatr Pol 2017 Dec 30; 51(6):1059-1077
- The paper presents an overview and analysis of the results of research on therapeutic ranges of concentrations and receptor occupancy, mainly D2 receptors, in the treatment with some atypical antipsy...
The paper presents an overview and analysis of the results of research on therapeutic ranges of concentrations and receptor occupancy, mainly D2 receptors, in the treatment with some atypical antipsychotic drugs. Amisulpride, aripiprazole, clozapine, quetiapine, olanzapine, risperidone, paliperidone, sertindole, and ziprasidone were taken into account. The benefits of therapeutic drug monitoring to optimize the effectiveness of treatment and avoid side effects or toxicity were shown. The safety of patients, with the possibility to use the lowest effective dose, is an undoubted profit of TDM. This helps to avoid overdosing resulting in adverse events (with particular emphasis on extrapyramidal symptoms and seizures).The need and desirability of TDM is due to the inter -and intraindividual differences in the pharmacokinetics of drugs, because only some of them have a close correlation between dose and plasma concentration. The plasma concentration correlates well with the occupancy of D2 receptors. The efficient and safe level is determined at 60-80%. Based on the knowledge of the indications for TDM and therapeutic concentration ranges, amisulpride, clozapine and olanzapine have the highest level of recommendation to use TDM. Therapeutic ranges of plasma concentrations of the analyzed drugs were determined to be 200-320 ng/ml for amisulpride, 150-210 ng/ml for aripiprazole, over 350-500 ng/ml for clozapine, 50-500 ng/ml for quetiapine, 20-40 ng/ml for olanzapine, 20-60 ng/ml for risperidone and paliperidone, 50-100 ng/ml for sertindole and 50-130 ng/ml for ziprasidone.