- Comparison of two groups for the apolipoprotein E polymorphisms by using next generation sequencing: The first group with three consecutive abortions and the second group with at most one abortion in three consecutive pregnancies. [Journal Article]
- GENEGene 2018 May 17
- The importance of apolipoprotein E genotypes and allelic polymorphisms in the etiology of recurrent miscarriage is controversial. We plan to investigate this in a two-group study involving more than ...
The importance of apolipoprotein E genotypes and allelic polymorphisms in the etiology of recurrent miscarriage is controversial. We plan to investigate this in a two-group study involving more than a thousand participants. In total, 1046 subjects (802 participants in the first group, 244 participants in the second group) were investigated. Women in the first group had a history of ≥3 consecutive spontaneous miscarriage and women in the second group had at most one miscarriage in three consecutive pregnancies. The participants with the following evidence and symptoms were excluded from both groups; structural uterine abnormality, chrosomal abnormalities and polymorphisms, hormonal imbalance, anti-nuclear antibodies, anti-phospholipid antibodies, lupus anticoagulant and homozygous genotype for FV-Leiden, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR A1298C, prothrombin 20210G>A and plasminogen activator inhibitor 4G/5G polymorphisms. We found similar apolipoprotein E allelic frequencies and genotype distributions in both groups. The frequencies of ε2 alleles were 4.1% in the first group and 2.9% in the second group, whereas those of ε3 alleles were 90.8% and 93% in the first group and the second group, respectively and ε4 alleles were 5.1% in the first group and 4.1% in the second group. The genotypes of Apo E observed in the first and the second group respectively were as follows; ε2/ε3 (7.5% and 5.7%), ε3/ε3 (82.7% and 86.5%), ε3/ε4 (8.7% and 7.4%), ε4/ε4 (0.5% and 0.4%) and ε2/ε4 (0.6% and 0). Our data did not support a possible association between apolipoprotein E genotypes and allelic frequencies, and recurrent miscarriages. We believe that the studies excluding the etiological factors that were previously found to be related with any condition are more valuable in the scope of showing the cause-effect relationship.
- Genetic variation in the CLOCK gene is associated with idiopathic recurrent spontaneous abortion. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2018; 13(5):e0196345
- Physiological studies in animals and human support an important role of circadian system in reproduction. The aim of this study was to investigate the potential association of CLOCK gene polymorphism...
Physiological studies in animals and human support an important role of circadian system in reproduction. The aim of this study was to investigate the potential association of CLOCK gene polymorphisms with idiopathic recurrent spontaneous abortion (IRSA). We performed a case-control study. The study group consisted of 268 women with a history of three or more idiopathic recurrent spontaneous abortions and 284 women with at least two live births and no history of pathologic pregnancies all from Slovenia and Serbia. Two SNPs in the CLOCK gene were chosen and genotyped. The results showed a statistically significant difference in genotype distribution between the two groups in the CLOCK gene for rs6850524 and rs11932595. Our analysis showed that G allele under dominant model (GG+GC/CC) for rs6850524 (p = 2∙10-4, OR = 2.28, 95%CI = 1.46-3.56) as well as G allele under dominant model (GA+AA/AA) for rs11932595 (p = 0.04, OR = 1.47, 95%CI = 1.01-2.04) might be risk factors against IRSA. Our data suggest that genetic variability in the CLOCK gene is associated with IRSA warranting further confirmation and mechanistic investigations.
- Abscisic acid prevents pollen abortion under high temperature stress by mediating sugar metabolism in rice spikelets. [Journal Article]
- PPPhysiol Plant 2018 May 16
- Heat stress at the pollen mother cell (PMC) meiotic stage leads to pollen sterility in rice, in which the reactive oxygen species (ROS) and sugar homeostasis are always adversely affected. This damag...
Heat stress at the pollen mother cell (PMC) meiotic stage leads to pollen sterility in rice, in which the reactive oxygen species (ROS) and sugar homeostasis are always adversely affected. This damage is reversed by abscisic acid (ABA), but the mechanisms underlying the interactions among the ABA, sugar metabolism, ROS and heat shock proteins (HSPs) in rice spikelets under heat stress are unclear. Two rice genotypes, Zhefu802 (a recurrent parent) and fgl (its near-isogenic line) were subjected to heat stress of 40°C after pre-foliage sprayed with ABA and its biosynthetic inhibitor fluridone at the meiotic stage of PMC. The results revealed that exogenous application of ABA reduced pollen sterility caused by heat stress. This was achieved through various means, including: increased levels of soluble sugars, starch and non-structural carbohydrates, markedly higher relative expression levels of heat shock proteins (HSP24.1 and HSP71.1) and genes related to sugar metabolism and transport, such as sucrose transporters (SUT) genes, sucrose synthase (SUS) genes, and invertase (INV) genes as well as increased antioxidant activities and increased content of ATP and endogenous ABA in spikelets. In short, exogenous application of ABA prior to heat stress enhanced sucrose transport and accelerated sucrose metabolism to maintain the carbon balance and energy homeostasis, thus ABA contributed to heat tolerance in rice. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR GENE POLYMORPHISMS AS GENETIC RISK FACTOR OF THREATENED ABORTION. [Journal Article]
- FZFiziol Zh 2016; 62(6):60-64
- Determination of the progesterone receptor gene polymor- phisms rs590688 C/G and rs500760 A/G was provided using PCR method. To investigate the genetical precursors of threatened abortion the next gr...
Determination of the progesterone receptor gene polymor- phisms rs590688 C/G and rs500760 A/G was provided using PCR method. To investigate the genetical precursors of threatened abortion the next groups were included: 67 patients with threatened abortion and 93 healthy persons. These allelic variants have the significantly different at rs590688 study: C/C - 23,9%, C/G - 44,8%, GIG - 31,3%, and C/C - 27,2%, C/G - 58,7%, GIG - 14,1% in the control group (P<0,05 by x2-test). The allelic variants of the rs500760 polymorphism did not differ statistically in the study group A/A 53,7%, A/G - 40,3%, GIG - 6% in the control group A/A- 52,2%, A/G - 44,6%, GIG - 3,3% (P>0,05 by x2-test). Distribution of minor homozygote GIG polymorphism rs590688 progesterone receptor gene in patients with threatened abortion in our study almost in 10 times higher in comparing with women of Taiwanese Han population, who had idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss. The obtained data indicate significant ethnic differences in PGR and show polymorphism rs590688 clinical significance.
- StatPearls [BOOK]
- BOOKStatPearls Publishing: Treasure Island (FL)
- A blighted ovum is a fertilized egg that implants but does not develop. In a blighted ovum, a gestational (embryo) sac forms and grows; however, the embryo does not develop. A blighted ovum is also k...
A blighted ovum is a fertilized egg that implants but does not develop. In a blighted ovum, a gestational (embryo) sac forms and grows; however, the embryo does not develop. A blighted ovum is also known as anembryonic pregnancy. A blighted ovum is the leading cause of miscarriage (50%). In the first trimester, the names early pregnancy loss, miscarriage, or spontaneous abortion are all interchangeably used as there is no consensus in the literature. Early pregnancy loss is the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy before 13 weeks of gestation. What is a Miscarriage? In the United Kingdom, miscarriage is the loss of an intrauterine pregnancy before 24 complete weeks of gestation. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) define miscarriage as the loss of a pregnancy before 20 weeks of gestation or the ejection or removal of an embryo or fetus that weighs 500 g or less. This definition is used in the United States; however, it may vary based on State laws. Biochemical miscarriage is a loss that occurs after a positive urine pregnancy test (hCG) or a raised serum beta-hCG before ultrasound or histological verification. Clinical miscarriage is when ultrasound examination or histologic evidence has confirmed the existence of an intrauterine pregnancy. In general, clinical miscarriage is classified as early (before 12 weeks of pregnancy) and late (12 weeks to 20 weeks). In Europe, the late loss is defined as one that occurs between 12 and 22 weeks. Miscarriage classified as sporadic and recurrent. Sporadic miscarriage is the more common than recurrent. Sporadic miscarriage is when 2 or 3 consecutive pregnancy losses occur. According to the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE) guidelines, recurrent miscarriage (RM) is defined as 3 or more consecutive pregnancy losses before 22 weeks of gestation.
- Relation between mycoplasma infection and recurrent spontaneous abortion. [Journal Article]
- EREur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2018; 22(8):2207-2211
- CONCLUSIONS: Our results support the notion that RSA might be associated with UU and MH infection, could influence the occurrence of other bacterial infections and could stimulate ACA expression, inflammatory response, thrombogenesis, and factors associated with cell apoptosis, increasing the risk for an abortion during pregnancy.
- Trueperella pyogenes and Brucella abortus Coinfection in a Dog and a Cat on a Dairy Farm in Egypt with Recurrent Cases of Mastitis and Abortion. [Journal Article]
- VMVet Med Int 2018; 2018:2056436
- Trueperella pyogenes was isolated from a dog and a cat with a mixed infection with Brucella abortus. Both lived on a dairy cattle farm with a history of regular cases of abortion and mastitis. Identi...
Trueperella pyogenes was isolated from a dog and a cat with a mixed infection with Brucella abortus. Both lived on a dairy cattle farm with a history of regular cases of abortion and mastitis. Identification of the bacteria was done by means of MALDI-TOF MS, loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) based on cpn60, partial 16S rRNA sequencing, and growth on Loeffler Serum Medium. Isolation of Trueperella pyogenes on the dairy farm highlights its neglected role in reproduction failure and draws attention to its effects in the dairy industry in Egypt. Diagnosis and control of abortion in Egypt should include Trueperella pyogenes as one of possible causes of abortion.
- Expression of GRIM-19 in unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion and possible pathogenesis. [Journal Article]
- MHMol Hum Reprod 2018 May 08
- Is aberrant expression of gene associated with retinoid-interferon-induced mortality-19 (GRIM-19) associated with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion (URSA)?
Is aberrant expression of gene associated with retinoid-interferon-induced mortality-19 (GRIM-19) associated with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion (URSA)?
- Human amniotic epithelial cells inhibit activation and pro-inflammatory cytokines production of naive CD4+ T cells from women with unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion. [Journal Article]
- RBReprod Biol 2018 May 02
- Unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion (URSA) has been assumed to be caused by a defect in maternal immunological tolerance to the fetus. Human amniotic epithelial cells (hAECs) have stem cell-li...
Unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion (URSA) has been assumed to be caused by a defect in maternal immunological tolerance to the fetus. Human amniotic epithelial cells (hAECs) have stem cell-like features and the ability to modulate the innate and adoptive immune responses. This study aimed to investigate whether hAECs have immunomodulatory effects on naive CD4+ T cells from URSA patients. hAECs were obtained from 15 healthy pregnant women and phenotypic profile of hAECs was determined by flow cytometry. Naive CD4+ T cells were isolated from 25 URSA patients using an immunomagnetic separation method. Naive T cells were stimulated with anti-CD3/anti-CD28 antibodies and co-cultured with different numbers of hAECs for 3 and 6 days. Immunomodulatory effect of hAECs on activation of stimulated T cell was assessed by flow cytometry and Enzyme-linked immunoasorbent assay (ELISA). The hAECs effect on pro-inflammatory cytokines production of activated T cells was also measured by ELISA. Our results indicated that hAECs significantly inhibited the activation of naive T cells in a dose-dependent manner (p < 0.0001-0.05). They significantly reduced the production of transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-β1) of stimulated CD4+T cells (p < 0.0001-0.05). Moreover, hAECs had potent immunomodulatory effects on the production of interferon-gamma (IFN-γ) and interleukin-17A (IL-17A) of activated T cells (p < 0.0001-0.01). These findings suggest that hAECs may be a suitable cell source to modulate abnormal immune responses in women with URSA.
New Search Next
- [Male factors and countermeasures for recurrent spontaneous abortion]. [Journal Article]
- ZNZhonghua Nan Ke Xue 2017; 23(10):867-872
- Recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) has a very complicated pathogenesis and male factors for this condition should not to be ignored, which are mainly related to genetics, immunology, infection, spe...
Recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) has a very complicated pathogenesis and male factors for this condition should not to be ignored, which are mainly related to genetics, immunology, infection, sperm quality, and others. In case of RSA, an etiological screening ought to be performed for the husband, which involves general, genetic and immunological examinations and infection detection. According to specific etiological factors, such measures as genetic consultation, immunotherapy, and traditional Chinese medication can be taken, which may contribute to the outcome of pregnancy.