- Oxysterol, 5α-cholestan-3-one, modulates a contractile response to β2-adrenoceptor stimulation in the mouse atria: Involvement of NO signaling. [Journal Article]
- LSLife Sci 2017 Nov 01; 188:131-140
- CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that 5ɑCh3 potentiates the effect of pharmacological β2-adrenoceptor activation on both NO production and Ca(2+) transient via independent mechanisms, thereby affecting the positive inotropy.
- GPR55 receptor antagonist decreases glycolytic activity in PANC-1 pancreatic cancer cell line and tumor xenografts. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Cancer 2017 Nov 15; 141(10):2131-2142
- The Warburg effect is a predominant metabolic pathway in cancer cells characterized by enhanced glucose uptake and its conversion to l-lactate and is associated with upregulated expression of HIF-1α ...
The Warburg effect is a predominant metabolic pathway in cancer cells characterized by enhanced glucose uptake and its conversion to l-lactate and is associated with upregulated expression of HIF-1α and activation of the EGFR-MEK-ERK, Wnt-β-catenin, and PI3K-AKT signaling pathways. (R,R')-4'-methoxy-1-naphthylfenoterol ((R,R')-MNF) significantly reduces proliferation, survival, and motility of PANC-1 pancreatic cancer cells through inhibition of the GPR55 receptor. We examined (R,R')-MNF's effect on glycolysis in PANC-1 cells and tumors. Global NMR metabolomics was used to elucidate differences in the metabolome between untreated and (R,R')-MNF-treated cells. LC/MS analysis was used to quantify intracellular concentrations of β-hydroxybutyrate, carnitine, and l-lactate. Changes in target protein expression were determined by Western blot analysis. Data was also obtained from mouse PANC-1 tumor xenografts after administration of (R,R')-MNF. Metabolomics data indicate that (R,R')-MNF altered fatty acid metabolism, energy metabolism, and amino acid metabolism and increased intracellular concentrations of β-hydroxybutyrate and carnitine while reducing l-lactate content. The cellular content of phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1 and hexokinase 2 was reduced consistent with diminished PI3K-AKT signaling and glucose metabolism. The presence of the GLUT8 transporter was established and found to be attenuated by (R,R')-MNF. Mice treated with (R,R')-MNF had significant accumulation of l-lactate in tumor tissue relative to vehicle-treated mice, together with reduced levels of the selective l-lactate transporter MCT4. Lower intratumoral levels of EGFR, pyruvate kinase M2, β-catenin, hexokinase 2, and p-glycoprotein were also observed. The data suggest that (R,R')-MNF reduces glycolysis in PANC-1 cells and tumors through reduced expression and function at multiple controlling sites in the glycolytic pathway.
- Expanding landscapes of the diversified mcr-1-bearing plasmid reservoirs. [Journal Article]
- MMicrobiome 2017 Jul 06; 5(1):70
- CONCLUSIONS: Collectively, our results extend landscapes of the diversified mcr-1-bearing plasmid reservoirs.
- Stereoselective binding of agonists to the β2-adrenergic receptor: insights into molecular details and thermodynamics from molecular dynamics simulations. [Journal Article]
- MBMol Biosyst 2017 May 02; 13(5):910-920
- The β2-adrenergic receptor (β2-AR) is one of the most studied G-protein-coupled receptors. When interacting with ligand molecules, it exhibits a binding characteristic that is strongly dependent on l...
The β2-adrenergic receptor (β2-AR) is one of the most studied G-protein-coupled receptors. When interacting with ligand molecules, it exhibits a binding characteristic that is strongly dependent on ligand stereoconfiguration. In particular, many experimental and theoretical studies confirmed that stereoisomers of an important β2-AR agonist, fenoterol, are associated with diverse mechanisms of binding and activation of β2-AR. The objective of the present study was to explore the stereoselective binding of fenoterol to β2-AR through the application of an advanced computational methodology based on enhanced-sampling molecular dynamics simulations and potentials of interactions tailored to investigate the stereorecognition effects. The results remain in very good, quantitative agreement with the experimental data (measured in the context of ligand-receptor affinities and their dependence on the temperature), which provides an additional validation for the applied computational protocols. Additionally, our results contribute to the understanding of stereoselective agonist binding by β2-AR. Although the significant role of the N2936.55 residue is confirmed, we additionally show that stereorecognition does not depend solely on the N293-ligand interactions; the stereoselective effects rely on the co-operation of several residues located on both the 6th and 7th transmembrane domains and on extracellular loops. The magnitude and character of the contributions of these residues may be very diverse and result in either enhancing or reducing the stereoselective effects. The same is true when considering the enthalpic and entropic contributions to the binding free energies, which also are dependent on the ligand stereoconfiguration.
- MicroRNA-150 Modulates Ischemia-Induced Neovascularization in Atherosclerotic Conditions. [Journal Article]
- ATArterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2017; 37(5):900-908
- CONCLUSIONS: Hypercholesterolemia is associated with reduced expression of miR-150, impaired Src signaling, and inefficient neovascularization in response to ischemia. Forced expression of miR-150 using a miR mimic could constitute a novel therapeutic strategy to improve ischemia-induced neovascularization in atherosclerotic conditions.
- Atosiban versus fenoterol as a uterine relaxant for external cephalic version: randomised controlled trial. [Randomized Controlled Trial]
- BMJBMJ 2017 Jan 26; 356:i6773
- CONCLUSIONS: In women undergoing ECV for breech presentation, uterine relaxation with fenoterol increases the rate of cephalic presentation 30 minutes after the procedure. No statistically significant difference was found for cephalic presentation at delivery.
- Effects of fenoterol on the skeletal system depend on the androgen level. [Journal Article]
- PRPharmacol Rep 2017; 69(2):260-267
- CONCLUSIONS: The results indicate the favorable action of fenoterol in conditions of testosterone deficiency, and its destructive influence upon the skeleton in the presence of androgens. The results confirm the key role of sympathetic nervous system in the regulation of bone remodeling.
- Combined inhaled beta-agonist and anticholinergic agents for emergency management in adults with asthma. [Review]
- CDCochrane Database Syst Rev 2017 01 11; 1:CD001284
- CONCLUSIONS: Overall, combination inhaled therapy with SAAC and SABA reduced hospitalisation and improved pulmonary function in adults presenting to the ED with acute asthma. In particular, combination inhaled therapy was more effective in preventing hospitalisation in adults with severe asthma exacerbations who are at increased risk of hospitalisation, compared to those with mild-moderate exacerbations, who were at a lower risk to be hospitalised. A single dose of combination therapy and multiple doses both showed reductions in the risk of hospitalisation among adults with acute asthma. However, adults receiving combination therapy were more likely to experience adverse events, such as tremor, agitation, and palpitations, compared to patients receiving SABA alone.
- High degree atrioventricular block with ventricular asystole in a case of dengue fever. [Case Reports]
- IHIndian Heart J 2016; 68 Suppl 2:S194-S197
- Cardiac rhythm abnormalities have been uncommonly observed in dengue fever and most of them have been reported in children. We discuss a 30-year-old female with dengue fever, who presented with repea...
Cardiac rhythm abnormalities have been uncommonly observed in dengue fever and most of them have been reported in children. We discuss a 30-year-old female with dengue fever, who presented with repeated symptomatic episodes of high degree atrioventricular block with ventricular asystole, which responded to intravenous atropine and oral orciprenaline without recurrence on 6 months follow-up.
New Search Next
- Anti-inflammatory activities of fenoterol through β-arrestin-2 and inhibition of AMPK and NF-κB activation in AICAR-induced THP-1 cells. [Journal Article]
- BPBiomed Pharmacother 2016; 84:185-190
- The AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) pathway has been shown to be able to regulate inflammation in several cell lines. We reported that fenoterol, a β2-adrenergic receptor (β2-AR) agonist, inhibit...
The AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) pathway has been shown to be able to regulate inflammation in several cell lines. We reported that fenoterol, a β2-adrenergic receptor (β2-AR) agonist, inhibited lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced AMPK activation and inflammatory cytokine production in THP-1 cells, a monocytic cell line in previous studies. 5-amino-1-β-d-ribofuranosyl-imidazole-4-carboxamide (AICAR) is an agonist of AMPK. Whether AICAR induced AMPK activation and inflammatory cytokine production in THP-1 cells can be inhibited by fenoterol is unknown. In this study, we explored the mechanism of β2-AR stimulation with fenoterol in AICAR-induced inflammatory cytokine secretion in THP-1 cells. We studied AMPK activation using p-AMPK and AMPK antibodies, nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB) activation and inflammatory cytokine secretion in THP-1 cells stimulated by β2-AR in the presence or absence of AICAR and small interfering RNA (siRNA)-mediated knockdown of β-arrestin-2 or AMPKα1 subunit. AICAR-induced AMPK activation, NF-κB activation and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α release were reduced by fenoterol. In addition, siRNA-mediated knockdown of β-arrestin-2 abolished fenoterol's inhibition of AICAR-induced AMPK activation and TNF-α release, thus β-arrestin-2 mediated the anti-inflammatory effects of fenoterol in AICAR-treated THP-1 cells. Furthermore, siRNA-mediated knockdown of AMPKα1 significantly attenuated AICAR-induced NF-κB activation and TNF-α release, so AMPKα1 was a key signaling molecule involved in AICAR-induced inflammatory cytokine production. These data suggested that fenoterol inhibited AICAR-induced AMPK activation and TNF-α release through β-arrestin-2 in THP-1 cells. Management especially inhibition of AMPK signaling may provide new approaches and strategies for the treatments of immune diseases including inflammatory diseases and other critical illness.