- [Genetics of thyroid nodules and thyroid carcinoma]. [Review]
- IInternist (Berl) 2018 Jun 21
- Thyroid nodules are heterogeneous tumors with variable genetic signatures. Thyroid cancers are monoclonal lesions with a defined histomorphology that largely depends on the underlying somatic mutatio...
Thyroid nodules are heterogeneous tumors with variable genetic signatures. Thyroid cancers are monoclonal lesions with a defined histomorphology that largely depends on the underlying somatic mutation. While the mutation rate is generally low in differentiated thyroid cancers, poorly differentiated and anaplastic thyroid cancers show a high mutation load. The identification of somatic mutations in fine needle aspirates can be helpful for the differential diagnostics of thyroid nodules; however, a prognostic contribution is less certain. The molecular pathology of thyroid tumors is helpful for the development of targeted therapies and may infer novel immuno-oncological concepts for advanced aggressive thyroid cancers.
- Optimal combination of treatment modality to increase survival in patients with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: A STROBE compliant retrospective study. [Journal Article]
- MMedicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97(25):e11037
- There is little consensus on the optimal treatment approach for newly diagnosed patients. The present study aims to provide additional evidence by evaluating a series of patients diagnosed with anapl...
There is little consensus on the optimal treatment approach for newly diagnosed patients. The present study aims to provide additional evidence by evaluating a series of patients diagnosed with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma (ATC) and analyzing factors related to increased survival. This was a retrospective cohort report structured according to the Strengthening the Reporting of Observational studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) guideline. Demographics, chief complaint, history of prior thyroid cancer, stage at presentation, management modalities (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or observation), completeness or resection, and survival period since initial diagnosis were reviewed for patients with documentation of histologic ATC diagnosis between 2003 and 2016. The median survival period for 34 patients (11 males, 23 females) was 93.5 days. Patients aged 70 or younger (111 days) tended to survive longer than those older 70 (88 days) (P = .081). Observation, surgery only, radiotherapy only, and chemo-radiotherapy after surgery group showed median survival of 88 days, 49 days (range 14-528), 61.5 days, and 225 days, respectively. There was also no significant difference in survival between the 10 (29.4%) stage IVb (225 days) and 23 (67.7%) IVc (88 days) patients (P = .242). The median survival of the R1 resection group was 514 days while that of the R2 group was 102 days (P = .338). There were no significant difference between patients with the de novo ATC (112 days) and patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma origin ATC (99 days) (P = .297). Results from our series of 34 patients with ATC show that more intense combination of surgery and chemo-radiotherapy tends to secure a longer survival period. Therefore we recommend a multi-modality approach after a comprehensive consultation with the patient.
- An investigation into symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and treatment complications in patients with retrosternal goiter. [Journal Article]
- JFJ Family Med Prim Care 2018 Jan-Feb; 7(1):224-229
- CONCLUSIONS: This study recommends that retrosternal goiter should be operated early under suitable conditions, and the best diagnosis tool and best surgery methods are CT scan and surgery with collar incision, respectively.
- The classification of pediatric and young adult renal cell carcinomas registered on the Children's Oncology Group (COG) protocol AREN03B2 after focused genetic testing. [Journal Article]
- CCancer 2018 Jun 15
- CONCLUSIONS: The current study delineates the frequency of distinct RCC subtypes in a large prospective series of young patients and contributes knowledge to the diagnostic, clinical, and genetic features of MiT-RCC, the most common subtype among this age group. The identification of rare subtypes expands the spectrum of RCC in young patients, supporting the need for a thorough diagnostic workup. These studies may aid in the introduction of specific therapies for different RCC subtypes in the future. Cancer 2018. © 2018 American Cancer Society.
- New Perspectives Regarding Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma Approach Improvement. [Journal Article]
- EMEndocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 2018 Jun 10
- CONCLUSIONS: With the mutational landscape investigation and the discovery of new targets, new directed treatments are being tried. Considering the current tendency to be more conservative regarding the multinodular goitre approach and some differentiated thyroid carcinomas treatment, it is vital to understand that it might evolve to anaplastic cancers.
- EBV-associated lymphoepithelioma-like thyroid carcinoma with favorable outcome: case report with cytopathologic and histopathologic study. [Journal Article]
- DPDiagn Pathol 2018 Jun 09; 13(1):39
- CONCLUSIONS: Long-term survival is discussed in relation to this variant of thyroid carcinoma, which might differ in behavior from anaplastic carcinoma. Further investigation is required to elucidate the clinical significance of EBV expression and progression of this unique variant of thyroid carcinoma.
- CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Sufficiently Abolished Oncogenicity in Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer. [Journal Article]
- DMDis Markers 2018; 2018:3835783
- Anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid (ATC), also called undifferentiated thyroid cancer, is the least common but most aggressive and deadly thyroid gland malignancy of all thyroid cancers. The aim of ...
Anaplastic carcinoma of the thyroid (ATC), also called undifferentiated thyroid cancer, is the least common but most aggressive and deadly thyroid gland malignancy of all thyroid cancers. The aim of this study is to explore essential biomarker and use CRISPR/Cas9 with lentivirus delivery to establish a gene-target therapeutic platform in ATC cells. At the beginning, the gene expression datasets from 1036 cancers from CCLE and 8215 tumors from TCGA were collected and analyzed, showing EGFR is predominantly overexpressed in thyroid cancers than other type of cancers (P = 0.017 in CCLE and P = 0.001 in TCGA). Using CRISPR/Cas9 genomic edit system, ATC cells with EGFR sgRNA lentivirus transfection obtained great disruptions on gene and protein expression, resulting in cell cycle arrest, cell growth inhibition, and most importantly metastasis turn-off ability. In addition, the FDA-approved TKI of afatinib for EGFR targeting also illustrates great anticancer activity on cancer cell death occurrence, cell growth inhibition, and cell cycle arrest in SW579 cells, an EGFR expressing human ATC cell line. Furthermore, off-target effect of using EGFR sgRNAs was measured and found no genomic editing can be detected in off-target candidate gene. To conclude, this study provides potential ATC therapeutic strategies for current and future clinical needs, which may be possible in increasing the survival rate of ATC patients by translational medicine.
- Remarkable Presentation: Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma Arising from Chronic Hyperthyroidism. [Journal Article]
- CRCase Rep Endocrinol 2018; 2018:7261264
- CONCLUSIONS: Progressive thyroid enlargement and acute worsening of previously controlled hyperthyroidism should promote concern for disease regardless of baseline thyroid function.
- High expression of CD10 in anaplastic thyroid carcinomas. [Journal Article]
- HHistopathology 2018 May 23
- CONCLUSIONS: Our results imply that the CD10 expression pattern depended upon histotypes of thyroid lesions. When possible metastatic tumors and non-epithelial tumors are excluded, high CD10 expression may be useful in determining whether a primary thyroid carcinoma includes an anapalastic component. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
New Search Next
- Potential of the dual mTOR kinase inhibitor AZD2014 to overcome paclitaxel resistance in anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- COCell Oncol (Dordr) 2018 May 22
- CONCLUSIONS: Our data support results from recent phase I clinical trials using combinations of AZD2014 and PTX for the treatment of solid tumors. Such combinations may also be employed for the design of novel targeted ATC treatment strategies.