- Thyroid carcinoma producing β-human chorionic gonadotropin shows different clinical behavior. [Journal Article]
- PIPathol Int 2018 Feb 15
- Columnar cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (CCV-PTC) is an unusual neoplasm, the clinical behavior of which mainly depends on the encapsulation or infiltration. Patients with extensive extr...
Columnar cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (CCV-PTC) is an unusual neoplasm, the clinical behavior of which mainly depends on the encapsulation or infiltration. Patients with extensive extrathyroidal extension usually have an aggressive biological behavior. This study confirmed that beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (β-hCG) secreting invasive CCV-PTC has good prognosis comparing with a cohort of follicular cell differentiated thyroid carcinoma. On the contrary, positive immunoreaction with β-hCG was proved in three anaplastic thyroid carcinoma patients showing aggressive clinical courses. The clinicopathologic characteristics of CCV-PTC and the paraneoplastic syndromes in follicular cell differentiated thyroid carcinoma were further summarized using literature review.
- Cytokeratin-8 in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma: More Than a Simple Structural Cytoskeletal Protein. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Mol Sci 2018 Feb 14; 19(2)
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma (ATC) is almost universally fatal. Elevated keratin-8 (KRT8) protein expression is an established diagnostic cancer biomarker in several epithelial cancers (but not ATC)....
Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma (ATC) is almost universally fatal. Elevated keratin-8 (KRT8) protein expression is an established diagnostic cancer biomarker in several epithelial cancers (but not ATC). Several keratins, including KRT8, have been suggested to have a role in cell biology beyond that of structural cytoskeletal proteins. Here, we provide evidence that KRT8 plays a direct role in the growth of ATCs. Genomic and transcriptomic analysis of >5000 patients demonstrates thatKRT8mutation and copy number amplification are frequently evident in epithelial-derived cancers. Carcinomas arising from diverse tissues exhibitKRT8mRNA and protein overexpression when compared to normal tissue levels. Similarly, in a panel of patient-derived ATC cell lines and patient tumors, KRT8 expression shows a similar pattern. sh-RNA-mediatedKRT8knockdown in these cell lines increases apoptosis, whereas forced overexpression of KRT8 confers resistance to apoptosis under peroxide-induced cell stress conditions. We further show that KRT8 protein binds to annexin A2, a protein known to mediate apoptosis as well as the redox pathway.
- Fast-growing cervical mass: anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- BCBMJ Case Rep 2018 Feb 07; 2018
- Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma in Denmark 1996-2012: A national prospective study of 219 patients. [Journal Article]
- CECancer Epidemiol 2018 Jan 31; 53:65-71
- CONCLUSIONS: As new information, our study adds "respiratory impairment at diagnosis" and "introduction of a national fast track cancer program" to the list of already established prognostic indicators for ATC.
- Treatment and survival vary by race/ethnicity in patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer. [Journal Article]
- CCancer 2018 Feb 06
- CONCLUSIONS: In this population-based study of patients with ATC, nonwhite patients were found to be less likely to receive treatment. Furthermore, nonwhite patients had poorer overall survival, and patients living in areas of high poverty had both worse overall and disease-specific survival. Racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities appear to exist in the treatment and survival of patients with ATC. Cancer 2018. © 2018 American Cancer Society.
- Ionizing Radiation deregulates the microRNA expression profile in differentiated thyroid cells. [Journal Article]
- TThyroid 2018 Feb 03
- CONCLUSIONS: These results demonstrate that IR deregulates microRNA expression, affecting the DSB repair efficiency of irradiated thyroid cells, and suggest that miR-10b-5p overexpression may be an innovative approach for anaplastic thyroid cancer therapy by increasing cancer cell radiosensitivity.
- Circulating BRAFV600E levels correlate with treatment in patients with thyroid carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- TThyroid 2018 Jan 29
- CONCLUSIONS: In this study, we show the correlation of blood BRAFV600E levels in response to treatment in both an established animal model of thyroid cancer and in patients with BRAFV600E positive tumors with all stages of disease. This assay represents an alternative biomarker in patients with positive thyroglobulin-Ab (Tg-Ab), and tumors, which do not express Tg.
- Simultaneous detection of single-nucleotide variant, deletion/insertion, and fusion in lung and thyroid carcinoma using cytology specimen and an RNA-based next-generation sequencing assay. [Journal Article]
- CCCancer Cytopathol 2018 Jan 24
- CONCLUSIONS: Cytology preparations can be a reliable source for the detection of both DNA and RNA aberrations. The ability to simultaneously detect multiple types of genomic variants is crucial for patients with advanced cancer and maximizes the usefulness of cytology specimens. Cancer Cytopathol 2018. © 2018 American Cancer Society.
- Demographic and Clinical Features of Thyroid Carcinomas in Republic of Macedonia (1999-2010). [Journal Article]
- OAOpen Access Maced J Med Sci 2017 Dec 15; 5(7):1005-1010
- CONCLUSIONS: There is an increase in incidence and prevalence rate of TCs in our country, mostly PTC, while reduction exists in the number of diagnosed cases of ATC and FTC, comparing with previous studies before iodine prophylaxis program. Different from described in the literature is female: male (4:1) ratio for ATC. According to US features, we can conclude that introduction of more detailed reporting system may improve diagnostic accuracy.
New Search Next
- Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer With Extensive Skeletal Muscle Metastases on 18F-FDG PET/CT. [Journal Article]
- CNClin Nucl Med 2018 Jan 19
- A 61-year-old woman with newly diagnosed anaplastic thyroid cancer and known metastases to the brain, lungs, and adrenal glands complained of groin muscle pain. F-FDG PET/CT was performed to assess f...
A 61-year-old woman with newly diagnosed anaplastic thyroid cancer and known metastases to the brain, lungs, and adrenal glands complained of groin muscle pain. F-FDG PET/CT was performed to assess for extent of disease and showed extensive hypermetabolic lesions throughout the skeletal musculature concerning for metastatic disease. As this would be a very rare presentation for anaplastic thyroid carcinoma, a biopsy of the left gluteal muscle was conducted. Pathology demonstrated anaplastic thyroid carcinoma, metastatic to skeletal muscle.