Did you mean: (endoderm)?
- Intra-vaginal testosterone improves sexual satisfaction and vaginal symptoms associated with aromatase inhibitors. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Endocrinol Metab 2018 Sep 14
- CONCLUSIONS: IVT significantly improved sexual satisfaction and reduced dyspareunia in postmenopausal women on AI therapy. The low reporting of UI amongst women on AI therapy merits further investigation.
- Ejaculation effect on blood testosterone and prostatic pulsed-wave Doppler ultrasound in dogs. [Journal Article]
- RDReprod Domest Anim 2018; 53 Suppl 2:70-73
- Local vessels ultrasonography evaluates prostatic physio-pathologic states. Testosterone promotes tissue and vascular growth. Knowing variables on prostatic vasculature is crucial to correctly apply ...
Local vessels ultrasonography evaluates prostatic physio-pathologic states. Testosterone promotes tissue and vascular growth. Knowing variables on prostatic vasculature is crucial to correctly apply Pulsed-Wave exam. The study aims to assess how ejaculation and blood testosterone affect Pulsed-Wave indexes. Serial blood testosterone dosages and Pulsed-Wave exams were performed in 20 dogs, immediately before (T0) and after (T1) ejaculation and 6 hr later (T2). Arteria prostatica cranialis, Arteriola capsularis, Arteriola trabecularis and Arteriola parenchimalis were evaluated and mean Pulsatility and Resistivity Index, Systolic-Peak, End-Diastolic and Mean Velocity calculated. Data were grouped by time and vessel (ANOVA, p ≤ 0.05). At T1, Resistivity Index significantly lowered in A. prostatica cranialis, A. trabecularis and A. parenchimalis but grew in A. capsularis; Pulsatility Index had the same pattern, but not significant in A. parenchimalis; Systolic Peak Velocity, End-Diastolic Velocity, Mean Velocity significantly rose in A. capsularis and A. trabecularis. No indexes differed at T0 and T2. Testosterone did not differ at T0 (10.93 ± 7.05 ng/ml), T1 (12.71 ± 7.29) and T2 (10.54 ± 6.63). Results stated the risen prostatic vascular flow postejaculation, affecting Pulsed-Wave. Due to semi-rigid capsule, impairing vasodilation of other vessels, only A. capsularis indexes increased. Intimal cushions of A. prostatica cranialis kept velocities fixed; A. capsularis and A. trabecularis lack of intimal cushions, thus velocities grew. In A. parenchimalis, precapillary sphincters opening allows increased flow redistribution in vasodilated parenchymal bed, keeping velocities fixed. As testosterone, not affected by ejaculation, did not peak, vascular changes are not due to testosterone itself. These physiological effects of ejaculation suggest proper sexual rest before Pulsed-Wave exam planned to explore suspected prostatic neovascularization.
- Identification of the Anabolic Steroid 6β-Chlorotestosterone in a Dietary Supplement. [Journal Article]
- DTDrug Test Anal 2018 Sep 20
- Capsules that were labeled to be a performance-enhancing dietary supplement obtained during an investigation, were found to contain an unrecognized steroid-like substance. This compound was isolated ...
Capsules that were labeled to be a performance-enhancing dietary supplement obtained during an investigation, were found to contain an unrecognized steroid-like substance. This compound was isolated by liquid chromatography (LC) fraction collection and characterized using several qualitative analytical techniques, including ultraviolet (UV) spectroscopy, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS), liquid chromatography-high resolution accurate mass-mass spectrometry (LC-HRAM-MS), as well as 1 H, 13 C, and two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometry. This multi-technique analytical approach was used to identify the designer steroid as 6β-chloro-4-androsten-17β-ol-3-one (6β-chlorotestosterone), an analog of testosterone about which little has been published.
- Semi-Quantitative Determination of Designer Steroids by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Ultraviolet Detection in the Absence of Reference Material. [Journal Article]
- DTDrug Test Anal 2018 Sep 20
- New designer steroids are continually being encountered in dietary supplements that claim to increase muscle mass, but quantitative analysis of such ingredients is challenging due to the availability...
New designer steroids are continually being encountered in dietary supplements that claim to increase muscle mass, but quantitative analysis of such ingredients is challenging due to the availability, quality, or cost of commercial reference materials. Although standard reference material typically becomes available for these emerging compounds, laboratories often face the challenge of finding properly certified materials from accredited suppliers, due to traceability requirements. Several of these designer steroids have been isolated and identified using multiple structural elucidation tools. Structural characteristics of these compounds of interest were evaluated and molar absorptivity data was collected and compared to several readily available steroid standards using ultraviolet/visible spectroscopy. This approach was used to find suitable compounds for use as surrogate reference materials in the semi-quantitative determination of two designer steroids, 1-androsterone and 6β-chloro-4-androsten-17β-ol-3-one (6β-chlorotestosterone). Laboratory fortified matrix samples and dietary supplement samples were analyzed using this method for the estimation of 1-androsterone and 6β-chlorotestosterone by HPLC-UV. Assay values obtained for the estimation of 1-androsterone in a dietary supplement sample using a prasterone or dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) standard curve were 100% of those obtained using a 1-androsterone reference standard, once it became commercially available. Estimations for 6β-chlorotestosterone in laboratory fortified matrix samples using a testosterone standard curve were 92-93% of those obtained using isolated 6β-chlorotestosterone as "reference material."
- Human body symmetry and immune efficacy in healthy adults. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Phys Anthropol 2018 Sep 20
- CONCLUSIONS: Our results are the opposite of the good genes hypothesis prediction and suggest that in western, healthy populations, human mate preferences for more symmetric bodies are not related to immune competence.
- A novel dehydrogenase 17β-HSDx from Rhodococcus sp. P14 with potential application in bioremediation of steroids contaminated environment. [Journal Article]
- JHJ Hazard Mater 2018 Sep 10; 362:170-177
- Steroids are endocrine disrupting compounds in human and are distributed in various environments. Our previous study showed that a marine bacterium Rhodococcus sp. P14 was able to efficiently degrade...
Steroids are endocrine disrupting compounds in human and are distributed in various environments. Our previous study showed that a marine bacterium Rhodococcus sp. P14 was able to efficiently degrade one typical steroid estradiol. In this study, we showed that P14 could also use other steroids, including estriol and testosterone, as sole carbon source for growth. Two dehydrogenation products, 16-hydroxestrone and androst-4-ene-3, 17-dione, were detected during estriol and testosterone degradation, respectively. By screening the genome, a short chain dehydrogenase gene was identified and named as 17β-HSDx. Expression of 17β-HSDx was induced in P14 when estriol, estradiol or testosterone was used as single carbon source. In addition, 17β-HSDx was shown to have dehydrogenation ability of transforming estriol to 16-hydroxestrone, estradiol to estrone and testosterone to androst-4-ene-3, 17-dione. This is the first short chain dehydrogenase identified in bacteria with dehydrogenation ability on various steroids substrates. Overall, this study reveals that 17β-HSDx has potential application in the bioremediation of steroids contaminated environment.
- A novel role for zinc transporter 8 in the facilitation of zinc accumulation and regulation of testosterone synthesis in Leydig cells of human and mouse testicles. [Journal Article]
- MMetabolism 2018 Sep 17
- CONCLUSIONS: The present study provided the first evidence that ZnT8 transports Zn into Leydig cell mitochondria with gonadotropin stimulation and suggests that ZnT8 may play a role in testosterone production via the PKA signaling pathway.
- Hair hormones in male youth with internet gaming disorder. [Journal Article]
- WJWorld J Biol Psychiatry 2018 Sep 20; :1-6
- CONCLUSIONS: Unlike other psychiatric disorders, effects of IGD and associated psychopathology on basal HPA axis functioning, indexed by hair hormone levels, are negligible. Future studies need to rule out potential effects of sex, age and long-term pathology on these findings.
- Influence of testosterone substitution on glycemic control and endothelial markers in men with newly diagnosed functional hypogonadism and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial. [Journal Article]
- AMAging Male 2018 Sep 20; :1-9
- Effects of testosterone (T) on the cardiovascular system of men remain controversial. The impact of T-replacement therapy (TRT) in men with functional hypogonadism and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
Effects of testosterone (T) on the cardiovascular system of men remain controversial. The impact of T-replacement therapy (TRT) in men with functional hypogonadism and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) has to be elucidated. This study included 80 men (mean age 51.5 ± 6.3 years) with newly diagnosed T2DM (according to ADA criteria) and functional hypogonadism (according to EAU criteria). Randomization: Group1 (n = 40): TRT using 1%-transdermal T-gel (50 mg/day), Group2 (n = 40) no TRT (controls). Dietary treatment applied to both. Parameters at baseline/after 9 months: anthropometric parameters, lipids and indicators of carbohydrate metabolism (fasting glucose, insulin, HbA1c, HOMA-IR), markers of adipose tissue and EnD (leptin, resistin, p- and e-selectin, ICAM- 1, VCAM- 1 and CRP). ANCOVA for repeated measurements revealed TRT to cause a significant decrease in waist circumference (WC), HOMA-IR and HbA1c vs controls (p < .001, p = .002, p = .004, respectively). Leptin declined in subjects receiving TRT vs controls (p = .04). Concentrations of resistin, ICAM-1, p-selectin and CRP decreased significantly vs controls (all p < .001); no effects for e-selectin and VCAM-1. Advanced age attenuated effects, higher delta testosterone levels augmented effects. Decrement of WC was related to decreasing markers of adipose tissue secretion/EnD. TRT in men with functional hypogonadism and T2DM improved carbohydrate metabolism and markers of endothelial dysfunction.
New Search Next
- Increased influenza-specific antibody avidity in HIV-infected females compared to HIV-infected males on antiretroviral therapy. [Journal Article]
- AIDSAIDS 2018 Sep 17
- : It is recommended that HIV-infected individuals receive annual influenza vaccination due to their high susceptibility to influenza infection, especially among females. However, there have been few ...
: It is recommended that HIV-infected individuals receive annual influenza vaccination due to their high susceptibility to influenza infection, especially among females. However, there have been few studies investigating sex-related responses to influenza vaccine in antiretroviral (ART)-treated HIV-infected subjects. In this study, 26 aviremic ART-treated HIV-infected subjects and 16 healthy controls were enrolled in the current study. Blood was collected prior to vaccination (D0), on days 7-10 (D7), and on days 14-21 (D14) following administration of the 2013-2014 seasonal influenza vaccine. A series of analyses evaluated the serological and cellular responses following influenza vaccination. Female HIV-infected subjects had increased influenza-specific antibody avidity relative to male HIV-infected subjects, but similar plasma levels of influenza-specific binding antibodies and neutralizing antibodies. Increased cycling B cells and follicular helper CD4+ T (Tfh) cells were observed in female HIV-infected subjects pre- and post-vaccination compared to male HIV-infected subjects, and cycling Tfh cells were directly correlated with influenza-specific antibody avidity. Moreover, plasma testosterone levels were inversely correlated with antibody avidity index. The magnitude of microbial translocation (plasma lipopolysaccharide (LPS)) level was directly correlated with influenza-specific antibody avidity. Circulating 16S rDNA microbiome showed that enrichment of specific species within Proteobacteria was associated with influenza-specific antibody avidity. These results, including differences based on sex and correlations, were only observed in HIV+ subjects but not in the healthy controls. This study demonstrated sex differences in influenza-specific antibody avidity in ART-treated HIV disease, and provides valuable information on vaccination strategy in the ART-treated HIV-infected population.