- E-cigarettes-peering into the mist of uncertainty. [Editorial]
- NZN Z Med J 2018 Feb 23; 131(1470):8-10
- Intraindividual variability in neurocognitive performance is associated with time-based prospective memory in older adults. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Exp Neuropsychol 2018 Feb 20; :1-11
- CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that cognitive control, as indexed by IIV in neurocognitive performance, may play a role in naturalistic PM, as well as in highly strategic, but not automatic, laboratory-based PM among older adults.
- Assessment of inhalation flow patterns of soft mist inhaler co-prescribed with dry powder inhaler using inspiratory flow meter for multi inhalation devices. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2018; 13(2):e0193082
- The patients' inhalation flow pattern is one of the significant determinants for clinical performance of inhalation therapy. However, the development of inhalation flow meters for various inhalation ...
The patients' inhalation flow pattern is one of the significant determinants for clinical performance of inhalation therapy. However, the development of inhalation flow meters for various inhalation devices has been unable to keep up with the increasing number of newly launched inhalation devices. In the present study, we developed simple attachment orifices for the inhalation flow pattern monitoring system, which are suitable for all commercial inhalers, and investigated the efficacy of the system on the clinical inhalation instruction for patients co-prescribed dry powder inhaler (DPI) and soft mist inhaler (SMI). First, we constructed simple attachment orifices that were adjusted for 13 commercial inhalers, and examined the correlation between orifice and inhalation device. Second, the inhalation flow patterns (peak inspiratory flow rate, PIFR; inhalation duration time, DT) of patients prescribed a combination of DPI and SMI were monitored before and after inhalation instruction. The inhalation resistance of commercial inhalers are listed in the following order; Twincaps® > Handihaler® > Swinghaler® = Clickhaler® > Twisthaler® > Turbuhaler® > Jenuair® > Diskus® = Ellipta® > Diskhaler® > Breezhaler® > Respimat® = pMDI. The pressure drop via orifice was significantly correlated with that via the commercial inhaler. For the confirmation, all participants achieved the DPI criterion of PIFR. On the other hand, 4 participants (6 clinical visits) of 10 experimented participants could not achieve the essential criterion of DT (> 1.5 sec) for SMI, but all participants improved their duration time after inhalation instruction by pharmacists (P<0.05). In the present study, we successfully developed simple attachment orifice suitable for 13 commercial inhalation devices. These data suggested that our simple attachment orifices for the inhalation flow pattern monitoring system can detect patients with inadequate inhalation patterns via SMI.
- [CT and MRI manifestation of primary spinal large B cell lymphoma]. [Journal Article]
- ZGZhongguo Gu Shang 2017 Dec 25; 30(12):1141-1146
- CONCLUSIONS: Primary spinal large B cell lymphoma has certain features in age, location and imaging findings. The "cloud and mist", "floating ice" and "oversleeve" shape bony destruction by CT and MRI has certain significance to diagnosis of primary spinal large B cell lymphoma.
- Randomized Controlled Trial of Acupuncture for Women with Fibromyalgia: Group Acupuncture with Traditional Chinese Medicine Diagnosis-Based Point Selection. [Journal Article]
- PMPain Med 2018 Feb 13
- CONCLUSIONS: Compared with education, group acupuncture improved global symptom impact, pain, and fatigue. Furthermore, it was a safe and well-tolerated treatment option, improving a broader proportion of patients than current pharmaceutical options.
- Health risks from exposure to Legionella in reclaimed water aerosols: Toilet flushing, spray irrigation, and cooling towers. [Journal Article]
- WRWater Res 2017 Dec 13; 134:261-279
- The use of reclaimed water brings new challenges for the water industry in terms of maintaining water quality while increasing sustainability. Increased attention has been devoted to opportunistic pa...
The use of reclaimed water brings new challenges for the water industry in terms of maintaining water quality while increasing sustainability. Increased attention has been devoted to opportunistic pathogens, especially Legionella pneumophila, due to its growing importance as a portion of the waterborne disease burden in the United States. Infection occurs when a person inhales a mist containing Legionella bacteria. The top three uses for reclaimed water (cooling towers, spray irrigation, and toilet flushing) that generate aerosols were evaluated for Legionella health risks in reclaimed water using quantitative microbial risk assessment (QMRA). Risks are compared using data from nineteen United States reclaimed water utilities measured with culture-based methods, quantitative PCR (qPCR), and ethidium-monoazide-qPCR. Median toilet flushing annual infection risks exceeded 10-4considering multiple toilet types, while median clinical severity infection risks did not exceed this value. Sprinkler and cooling tower risks varied depending on meteorological conditions and operational characteristics such as drift eliminator performance. However, the greatest differences between risk scenarios were due to 1) the dose response model used (infection or clinical severity infection) 2) population at risk considered (residential or occupational) and 3) differences in laboratory analytical method. Theoretical setback distances necessary to achieve a median annual infection risk level of 10-4are proposed for spray irrigation and cooling towers. In both cooling tower and sprinkler cases, Legionella infection risks were non-trivial at potentially large setback distances, and indicate other simultaneous management practices could be needed to manage risks. The sensitivity analysis indicated that the most influential factors for variability in risks were the concentration of Legionella and aerosol partitioning and/or efficiency across all models, highlighting the importance of strategies to manage Legionella occurrence in reclaimed water.
- Tiotropium added to low- to medium-dose inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) versus low- to medium-dose ICS alone for adults with mild to moderate uncontrolled persistent asthma: A systematic review and meta-analysis. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Asthma 2018 Feb 08; :1-10
- CONCLUSIONS: Tiotropium as a once daily add-on to low- to medium-dose ICS may be efficacious and well-tolerated treatment in adults with moderate uncontrolled asthma. However, as only a few studies were identified, more studies of better design and long-term trial duration are required in the future.
- Profiling of dalcetrapib metabolites in human plasma by accelerator mass spectrometry and investigation of the free phenothiol by derivatisation with methylacrylate. [Journal Article]
- JPJ Pharm Biomed Anal 2018 Jan 12; 152:143-154
- Dalcetrapib, a thioester prodrug, undergoes rapid and complete conversion in vivo to its phenothiol metabolite M1 which exerts the targeted pharmacological response in human. In clinical studies, M1 ...
Dalcetrapib, a thioester prodrug, undergoes rapid and complete conversion in vivo to its phenothiol metabolite M1 which exerts the targeted pharmacological response in human. In clinical studies, M1 has been quantified together with its dimer and mixed disulfide species that represent the 'dalcetrapib active form' in plasma. In this article, we describe the determination of the free phenothiol M1 by derivatisation with methylacrylate as a percentage of 'dalcetrapib active form'. Pharmacokinetic profiles of M1 after oral administration of dalcetrapib to humans could be established, underscoring the validity to use a composite measure of 'dalcetrapib active form' as a surrogate marker for pharmacodynamic evaluations. 'Dalcetrapib active form' and M1 made up 8.9% and 3.6% of total drug-related material, respectively. In addition, complete metabolite profiling of14C-labeled dalcetrapib was conducted after two-dimensional HPLC using fast fractionation into 384-well plates and ultrasensitive determination of the14C-content by accelerator mass spectrometry. M1 underwent further biotransformation to its S-methyl metabolite M3, which was further oxidized to its sulfoxide and sulfone. Another metabolic pathway was the formation of the S-glucuronide. All of these species underwent further oxidation in the ethylbutyl cyclohexyl moiety leading to a multitude of hydroxyl and keto metabolites undergoing further conjugation to O-glucuronides. More than 80 metabolites were identified, demonstrating extensive metabolism. However, it was unambiguously demonstrated that none of these metabolites were major according to the MIST guideline (exceeding 10% of drug related material in circulation). The combination of accelerator mass spectrometry with HPLC together with high resolution mass spectrometry allowed for structural characterization of the most relevant human metabolites.
- Humidification of Blow-By Oxygen During Recovery of Postoperative Pediatric Patients: One Unit's Journey. [Journal Article]
- JPJ Perianesth Nurs 2018 Feb 02
- CONCLUSIONS: Routine use of oxygenated cool mist in spontaneously breathing pediatric PACU patients is not supported.
New Search Next
- Silent aspiration predicts mortality in older adults with aspiration pneumonia admitted to acute hospitals. [Journal Article]
- GGGeriatr Gerontol Int 2018 Jan 31
- CONCLUSIONS: Silent aspiration detected by a cough latency test can predict 1-month mortality in older patients with aspiration pneumonia. More studies are required to investigate whether enhancing cough reflex treatments would help patients recover from aspiration pneumonia. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2018; ••: ••-••.