- Optical coherence tomography angiography in pseudophakic cystoid macular oedema compared to diabetic macular oedema: qualitative and quantitative evaluation of retinal vasculature. [Journal Article]
- BJBr J Ophthalmol 2018 Feb 20
- CONCLUSIONS: Patients with PCMO have an impairment of mainly DCP, partially reversible after treatment. Furthermore, we disclosed that different alterations of the retinal vasculature characterise CMO derived from two different diseases, namely PCMO and DMO, and this could be due to their distinct pathophysiology.
- [Knowledge about Biosimilars in Primary Care: a study by the Spanish Society of Primary Care Physicians (SEMERGEN)]. [Journal Article]
- SSemergen 2018 Feb 16
- CONCLUSIONS: The current knowledge about biosimilars among PC physicians is low. The critical areas in need of further training include specific information on biosimilars currently available in PC setting, as well as key aspects regarding prescription, interchangeability and pharmacovigilance requirements. Six out of ten doctors do not know of any biosimilar used in PC in Spain.
- Letter to the editor: blood processing and sample storage have negligible effects on methylation. [Journal Article]
- CEClin Epigenetics 2018; 10:22
- DNA methylation is a dynamic epigenetic mechanism. Researchers aiming to assess archived DNA samples are expressing concern about the effect of technical factors on methylation, as this may confound ...
DNA methylation is a dynamic epigenetic mechanism. Researchers aiming to assess archived DNA samples are expressing concern about the effect of technical factors on methylation, as this may confound results. We reviewed recent reports examining this issue in blood samples and concluded that variation in collection, storage, and processing of blood DNA confers negligible effects on both global methylation and methylation status of specific genes. These results are concordant with studies that have investigated the effect of sample storage and processing on methylation in other tissues, such as tumour, sperm, and placenta samples.
- Clinical Outcomes After Microfracture of the Knee: Midterm Follow-up. [Journal Article]
- OJOrthop J Sports Med 2018; 6(2):2325967117753572
- CONCLUSIONS: After microfracture, all PROs demonstrated clinically and statistically significant improvements at 5.7 years. Functionally, male patients benefited more from microfracture than female patients. Microfracture of tibial lesions and multisite microfracture provided less benefit than microfracture of isolated femoral defects. Larger lesion size (>3.6 cm2) and prior knee surgery predicted the need for additional knee surgery after microfracture.
- Ischaemic Events and Stent Thrombosis following Planned Discontinuation of Study Treatment with Ticagrelor or Clopidogrel in the PLATO Study. [Journal Article]
- THThromb Haemost 2018; 118(2):427-429
- Novel nicotinamide analog as inhibitor of nicotinamide N-methyltransferase. [Journal Article]
- BMBioorg Med Chem Lett 2018 Jan 31
- Nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (NNMT) has been linked to obesity and diabetes. We have identified a novel nicotinamide (NA) analog, compound 12 that inhibited NNMT enzymatic activity and reduced th...
Nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (NNMT) has been linked to obesity and diabetes. We have identified a novel nicotinamide (NA) analog, compound 12 that inhibited NNMT enzymatic activity and reduced the formation of 1-methyl-nicotinamide (MNA), the primary metabolite of NA by ∼80% at 2 h when dosed in mice orally at 50 mg/kg.
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 regulates fibroblast activation in systemic sclerosis. [Journal Article]
- ARAnn Rheum Dis 2018 Feb 03
- CONCLUSIONS: PARP-1 negatively regulates canonical TGFβ signalling in experimental skin fibrosis. The downregulation of PARP-1 in SSc fibroblasts may thus directly contribute to hyperactive TGFβ signalling and to persistent fibroblast activation in SSc.
- Smokers' Views on Personal Carbon Monoxide Monitors, Associated Apps, and Their Use: An Interview and Think-Aloud Study. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Environ Res Public Health 2018 Feb 07; 15(2)
- Smartphone-based personal carbon monoxide (CO) monitors and associated apps, or "CO Smartphone Systems" (CSSs) for short, could enable smokers to independently monitor their smoking and quitting. Thi...
Smartphone-based personal carbon monoxide (CO) monitors and associated apps, or "CO Smartphone Systems" (CSSs) for short, could enable smokers to independently monitor their smoking and quitting. This study explored views and preferences regarding CSSs and their use among 16 adult, UK-based smokers. First, semi-structured interviews explored participants' expectations of CSSs. Secondly, a think-aloud study identified participants' reactions to a personal CO monitor and to existing or prototype apps. Framework Analysis identified five themes: (1) General views, needs, and motivation to use CSSs; (2) Views on the personal CO monitor; (3) Practicalities of CSS use; (4) Desired features in associated apps; and (5) Factors affecting preferences for CSSs and their use. Participants had high expectations of CSSs and their potential to increase motivation. Priority app features included: easy CO testing journeys, relevant and motivating feedback, and recording of contextual data. Appearance and usability of the personal CO monitor, and accuracy and relevance of CO testing were considered important for engagement. Participants differed in their motivation to use and preferences for CSSs features and use, which might have non-trivial impact on evaluation efforts. Personal CO monitors and associated apps may be attractive tools for smokers, but making CSSs easy to use and evaluating these among different groups of smokers may be challenging.
- Species-specific developmental toxicity in rats and rabbits: Generation of a reference compound list for development of alternative testing approaches. [Journal Article]
- RTReprod Toxicol 2018 Feb 01; 76:93-102
- For regulatory information requirements, developmental toxicity testing is often conducted in two mammalian species. In order to provide a set of reference compounds that could be used to explore alt...
For regulatory information requirements, developmental toxicity testing is often conducted in two mammalian species. In order to provide a set of reference compounds that could be used to explore alternative approaches to supersede testing in a second species, a retrospective data analysis was conducted. The aim was to identify compounds for which species sensitivity differences between rats and rabbits are not caused by maternal toxicity or toxicokinetic differences. A total of 330 compounds were analysed and classified according to their species-specific differences. A lack of concordance between rat and rabbit was observed in 24% of the compounds, of which 10% were found to be selective developmental toxicants in one of the species. In contrast to previously published analyses the presented comparison is based entirely on publically data allowing validating and comparing alternative approaches for developmental toxicity testing. Furthermore, this list could be useful to identify mechanisms leading to species differences.
New Search Next
- [Infectiological Rapid Tests in Practices and at Home]. [Journal Article]
- DMDtsch Med Wochenschr 2018; 143(3):157-160
- Bedside laboratory procedures so called "point of care testing - POCT" plays an emerging role in clinical routine practice. While glucose or urine protein screening has been established since a while...
Bedside laboratory procedures so called "point of care testing - POCT" plays an emerging role in clinical routine practice. While glucose or urine protein screening has been established since a while, newer lateral flow assays (LFID), mostly as rapid diagnostic tests (RDT), play and upcoming role, as well as nucleic amplification based and micro carrier based systems. Hereby an accurate and precise diagnostic allows clinical decisions; in infectious diseases as well as other disciplines in medicine. All test are limited by sensitivity and specifity. Moreover, pre- and post-analytic handling also influences the test results. All results need to be assessed by a trained medical doctor.