- A study of urinary Tamm-Horsfall protein excretion in adult type 2 diabetes mellitus . [Journal Article]
- CNClin Nephrol 2018 Feb 02
- CONCLUSIONS: Increased albuminuria and decreased GFR are predictors of decreased urinary THP excretion. Distal convoluted tubule lesion may precede glomerular damage in a portion of T2DM patients. .
- The activin receptor is stimulated in the skeleton, vasculature, heart, and kidney during chronic kidney disease. [Journal Article]
- KIKidney Int 2018; 93(1):147-158
- We examined activin receptor type IIA (ActRIIA) activation in chronic kidney disease (CKD) by signal analysis and inhibition in mice with Alport syndrome using the ActRIIA ligand trap RAP-011 initiat...
We examined activin receptor type IIA (ActRIIA) activation in chronic kidney disease (CKD) by signal analysis and inhibition in mice with Alport syndrome using the ActRIIA ligand trap RAP-011 initiated in 75-day-old Alport mice. At 200 days of age, there was severe CKD and associated Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD), consisting of osteodystrophy, vascular calcification, cardiac hypertrophy, hyperphosphatemia, hyperparathyroidism, elevated FGF23, and reduced klotho. The CKD-induced bone resorption and osteoblast dysfunction was reversed, and bone formation was increased by RAP-011. ActRIIA inhibition prevented the formation of calcium apatite deposits in the aortic adventitia and tunica media and significantly decreased the mean aortic calcium concentration from 0.59 in untreated to 0.36 mg/g in treated Alport mice. Aortic ActRIIA stimulation in untreated mice increased p-Smad2 levels and the transcription of sm22α and αSMA. ActRIIA inhibition reversed aortic expression of the osteoblast transition markers Runx2 and osterix. Heart weight was significantly increased by 26% in untreated mice but remained normal during RAP-011 treatment. In 150-day-old mice, GFR was significantly reduced by 55%, but only by 30% in the RAP-011-treated group. In 200-day-old mice, the mean BUN was 100 mg/dl in untreated mice compared to 60 mg/dl in the treated group. In the kidneys of 200-day-old mice, ActRIIA and p-Smad2 were induced and MCP-1, fibronectin, and interstitial fibrosis were stimulated; all were attenuated by RAP-011 treatment. Hence, the activation of ActRIIA signaling during early CKD contributes to the CKD-MBD components of osteodystrophy and cardiovascular disease and to renal fibrosis. Thus, the inhibition of ActRIIA signaling is efficacious in improving and delaying CKD-MBD in this model of Alport syndrome.
- Effects of ellagic acid pretreatment on renal functions disturbances induced by global cerebral ischemic-reperfusion in rat. [Journal Article]
- IJIran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20(1):75-82
- CONCLUSIONS: Results indicate that GCIR impairs certain renal functions and EA as an antioxidant can improve these functions. Our results suggest the possible usefulness of ellagic acid in patients with brain stroke.
- [Association between high sensitivity C-reactive protein and contrast induced acute kidney injury in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: impact of atorvastatin]. [Randomized Controlled Trial]
- ZXZhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 2011; 39(9):807-11
- CONCLUSIONS: High hs-CRP level is linked with the development of CI-AKI in ACS patients undergoing PCI and pretreatment with 40 mg atorvastatin is associated with lower incidence CI-AKI, possibly by reducing the postprocedural inflammation responses.
- [Clinical observation of Shen No. 9 Recipe with Qingre Moshen Granule on the treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy after treated by multiple Western drugs with no efficacy]. [Clinical Trial]
- ZZZhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 2011; 31(11):1496-501
- CONCLUSIONS: SR + QMG showed definite efficacy in treatment of IMN patients with no efficacy after treated by multiple Western drugs. It could improve the level of cellular immunity and improve abnormal expression levels of IL-2.
- [Diagnostic value of serum Cystatin C in renal function impairments in children with viral encephalitis]. [Journal Article]
- ZDZhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 2011; 13(2):119-22
- CONCLUSIONS: The children with viral encephalitis have different degrees of renal impairments. Cyst C appears to be superior to BUN and Cr as a marker for the evaluation of glomerular filtration function. Measurement of serum Cyst C levels is very valuable in renal function monitoring in children with viral encephalitis.
- Microproteinuria for detecting calcineurin inhibitor-related nephrotoxicity after liver transplantation. [Journal Article]
- WJWorld J Gastroenterol 2009 Jun 21; 15(23):2913-7
- CONCLUSIONS: beta2m and alpha1m could be useful as early and sensitive indicators of CNI-induced nephrotoxicity.
- Assessment of the effects of the nitroimidazo-oxazine PA-824 on renal function in healthy subjects. [Randomized Controlled Trial]
- AAAntimicrob Agents Chemother 2009; 53(9):3726-33
- The mechanism underlying a dose-dependent, reversible increase in serum creatinine (SC) caused by the administration of PA-824, a novel nitroimidazo-oxazine, was evaluated in 47 healthy male and fema...
The mechanism underlying a dose-dependent, reversible increase in serum creatinine (SC) caused by the administration of PA-824, a novel nitroimidazo-oxazine, was evaluated in 47 healthy male and female volunteers. Subjects were administered either 800 or 1,000 mg PA-824 or matching placebo once daily for 8 days. The following renal function parameters were determined before and during dosing and after a 7-day washout: SC, glomerular filtration rate (GFR; measured as the iohexol clearance), effective renal plasma flow (ERPF; measured as the para-amino hippurate clearance), filtration fraction (FF), creatinine clearance (CrCl), extraglomerular creatinine excretion (EGCE; defined as CrCl minus GFR), blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and uric acid (UA) levels. Eight days' administration of 800 or 1,000 mg PA-824 was associated with increased SC and a trend toward decreased CrCl and EGCE. SC, CrCl, and EGCE values returned to normal/baseline within 1 week's washout. GFR, ERPF, FF, BUN, and UA values were similar across groups during treatment and washout. The reversible increase in SC observed in this and earlier trials of PA-824, thus, did not appear to be the result of a pathological effect on renal function (as measured by GFR, ERPF, FF, BUN, or UA). Pharmacokinetic analyses confirmed that PA-824 exposures were similar to those in previous healthy-volunteer clinical studies. That EGCE declined maximally when drug levels were highest suggests that PA-824 causes creatinine levels to rise by inhibiting renal tubular creatinine secretion. Such an effect, considered clinically benign, has been described for several marketed drugs.
- Short- and long-term follow-up of glomerular and tubular renal markers of kidney function in hyperthyroid cats after treatment with radioiodine. [Journal Article]
- DADomest Anim Endocrinol 2009; 36(1):45-56
- Hyperthyroidism can mask co-existing chronic kidney disease (CKD). Previous studies showed that post-treatment renal azotemia can be predicted by pre-treatment assessment of glomerular filtration rat...
Hyperthyroidism can mask co-existing chronic kidney disease (CKD). Previous studies showed that post-treatment renal azotemia can be predicted by pre-treatment assessment of glomerular filtration rate (GFR). We hypothesized that treatment of hyperthyroidism may have different effects on glomerular and tubular function and these changes might be predicted by additional pre-treatment variables than GFR. Serum total T4 (TT4), creatinine and blood urea nitrogen (BUN), blood pressure (BP), body weight (BW), GFR, urine specific gravity (USG), urinary protein/creatinine ratio (UPC) and retinol binding protein/creatinine ratio (uRBP/c) were evaluated before and 1, 4, 12 and 24 weeks post-treatment with radioiodine ((131)I) in 21 non-azotemic hyperthyroid cats. Cats were divided 24 weeks post-treatment into group A (normal kidney function, n=16) and group B (impaired kidney function, n=5). Serum TT4, GFR, UPC and uRBP/c decreased significantly after treatment for the complete group and group A (P<0.05), although GFR and uRBP/c did not change in group B. Serum creatinine and BW increased significantly from 1 week after treatment (P<0.05). There was no change in BUN, USG or BP. Pre-treatment serum TT4, GFR and USG differed significantly between group A and B (P<0.05). GFR at 4 weeks after treatment and maximum decrease in GFR could be partially predicted by a formula using pre-treatment GFR, serum TT4, serum creatinine, BUN and/or USG. Significant changes in kidney function occur within 4 weeks post-treatment and none thereafter. Pre-treatment measurement of GFR, USG and serum TT4 can have possible predictive value regarding the development of post-treatment renal azotemia.
New Search Next
- Intravenous N-acetylcysteine with saline hydration improves renal function and ameliorates plasma total homocysteine in patients undergoing cardiac angiography. [Journal Article]
- RFRen Fail 2008; 30(5):527-33
- Proinflammatory cytokines and hyperhomocysteinemia are associated with clinically relevant restenosis in coronary artery disease. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) can decrease proinflammatory cytokines and pla...
Proinflammatory cytokines and hyperhomocysteinemia are associated with clinically relevant restenosis in coronary artery disease. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) can decrease proinflammatory cytokines and plasma homocystine as well as reduce contrast-induced nephropathy. The aim of this study, therefore, was to compare normal saline hydration with and without intravenous NAC in terms of changes in renal function, proinflammatory cytokines, inflammatory markers, and plasma total homocysteine during coronary angiography. Forty-six patients who underwent coronary angiography and/or stent implantation for unstable angina were enrolled and assigned to NAC or NS treatment groups based on normal saline hydration with or without intravenous NAC, respectively. The NS group had lower serum creatinine (Cre: p = 0.02) and plasma total homocysteine (tHcy; p < 0.001) and increased glomerular filtration rate (GFR; p = 0.003) after angiography. In the NAC group, the serum blood urea nitrogen (BUN; p = 0.001), Cre (p < 0.001), and plasma tHcy (p < 0.001) were lower, and the GFR (P = 0.013) was increased after angiography. There were no statistically significant differences in serum high-sensitivity C reactive protein (hs-CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), or interleukin-10 (IL-10) before and after angiography in the NS and NAC groups. Intergroup comparison revealed that plasma tHcy level was lower for the NAC-treated patients (p = 0.002), with lower plasma tHcy level before and after treatment in this group (p < 0.001). Normal saline hydration can improve renal function and decrease plasma tHcy after coronary angiography with or without NAC; however, the combination of the two decreases plasma tHcy more than normal saline hydration alone.