- Circular RNA GRB10 as a competitive endogenous RNA regulating nucleus pulposus cells death in degenerative intervertebral disk. [Journal Article]
- CDCell Death Dis 2018 Feb 23; 9(3):319
- Intervertebral disc degeneration (IDD) is an important factor leading to low back pain, but the underlying mechanisms remain poorly understood. Compared with normal nucleus pulposus (NP) tissues, the...
Intervertebral disc degeneration (IDD) is an important factor leading to low back pain, but the underlying mechanisms remain poorly understood. Compared with normal nucleus pulposus (NP) tissues, the expression of circ-GRB10 was downregulated in IDD. Furthermore, overexpression of circ-GRB10 inhibited NP cell apoptosis. circ-GRB10 could sequester miR-328-5p, which could potentially lead to the upregulation of target genes related to cell proliferation via the ErbB pathway. In conclusion, the present study revealed that circ-GRB10/miR-328-5p/ERBB2 signaling pathway is involved in IDD development, suggesting that circ-GRB10 might be a novel therapeutic target for IDD.
- Defining a set of standardised outcome measures for newly diagnosed patients with multiple myeloma using the Delphi consensus method: the IMPORTA project. [Journal Article]
- BOBMJ Open 2018 Feb 22; 8(2):e018850
- CONCLUSIONS: A consensual standard set of outcomes for managing newly diagnosed patients with MM has been defined. The feasibility of its implementation in routine practice will be assessed in a future pilot study.
- Genetic Variation in P2rx7 and Pain Tolerance. [Journal Article]
- PAINPain 2018 Feb 20
- P2X7 is a non-selective cation channel activated by extracellular ATP. P2X7 activation contributes to the pro-inflammatory response to injury or bacterial invasion and mediates apoptosis. Recently, P...
P2X7 is a non-selective cation channel activated by extracellular ATP. P2X7 activation contributes to the pro-inflammatory response to injury or bacterial invasion and mediates apoptosis. Recently, P2X7 function has been linked to chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain. P2X7 may contribute to pain modulation both by effects on peripheral tissue injury underlying clinical pain states, and through alterations in central nervous system processing, as suggested by animal models. To further test its role in pain sensitivity, we examined whether variation within the P2RX7 gene, which encodes the P2X7 receptor, was associated with experimentally induced pain in human patients. Experimental pain was assessed in Tromsø 6, a longitudinal and crosssectional population based study (N=3016), and the BrePainGen cohort, consisting of patients who underwent breast cancer surgery (N=831). For both cohorts, experimental pain intensity and tolerance were assessed with the cold pressor test. In addition, multi-site chronic pain was assessed in Tromsø 6 and pain intensity one week after surgery was assessed in BrePainGen. We tested whether the single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) rs7958311, previously implicated in clinical pain, was associated with experimental and clinical pain phenotypes. In addition, we examined effects of SNPs rs208294 and rs208296, for which previous results have been equivocal. Rs7958311 was associated with experimental pain intensity in the meta-analysis of both cohorts. Significant associations were also found for multi-site pain and postoperative pain. Our results strengthen the existing evidence and suggest that P2X7 and genetic variation in the P2RX7-gene may be involved in the modulation of human pain sensitivity.This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives License 4.0 (CCBY-NC-ND), where it is permissible to download and share the work provided it is properly cited. The work cannot be changed in any way or used commercially without permission from the journal.
- Facilitating Early Breast Milk Expression in Mothers of Very Low Birth Weight Infants. [Journal Article]
- MAMCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 2018 Mar/Apr; 43(2):105-110
- CONCLUSIONS: Obstetric nurses encounter barriers when facilitating early HM expression in mothers giving birth to VLBW infants. It is possible these barriers could be removed through improvements in education, use of innovative staffing strategies, and maintenance of evidence-based policies.
- Pectoral nerve block and persistent pain following breast cancer surgery: an observational cohort study. [Journal Article]
- MAMinerva Anestesiol 2018 Feb 15
- Intravitreal bevacizumab as therapy for refractory neovascular glaucoma secondary to iris metastasis of breast carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Ophthalmol Case Rep 2018; 9:45-47
- CONCLUSIONS: A single intravitreal bevacizumab injection may be sufficient to achieve palliative control of neovascular glaucoma secondary to iris breast cancer metastasis. To our knowledge, this is the first case report in which a single intravitreal bevacizumab injection was used for the effective management of this condition.
- The concomitant use of lapatinib and paracetamol - the risk of interaction. [Journal Article]
- INInvest New Drugs 2018 Feb 20
- Lapatinib is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor used for the treatment of breast cancer. Paracetamol is an analgesic commonly applied to patients with mild or moderate pain and fever. Cancer patients are po...
Lapatinib is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor used for the treatment of breast cancer. Paracetamol is an analgesic commonly applied to patients with mild or moderate pain and fever. Cancer patients are polymedicated, which involves high risk of drug interactions during therapy. The aim of the study was to assess the interaction between lapatinib and paracetamol in rats. The rats were divided into three groups of eight animals in each. One group received lapatinib + paracetamol (IL + PA), another group received lapatinib (IIL), whereas the last group received paracetamol (IIIPA). A single dose of lapatinib (100 mg/kg b.w.) and paracetamol (100 mg/kg b.w.) was administered orally. Plasma concentrations of lapatinib, paracetamol and its metabolites - glucuronide and sulphate, were measured with the validated HPLC-MS/MS method and HPLC-UV method, respectively. The pharmacokinetic parameters of both drugs were calculated using non-compartmental methods. The co-administration of lapatinib and paracetamol increased the area under the plasma concentration-time curve (AUC) and the maximum concentration (Cmax) of lapatinib by 239.6% (p = 0.0030) and 184% (p = 0.0011), respectively. Lapatinib decreased the paracetamol AUC0-∞by 48.8% and Cmaxby 55.7%. In the IL + PAgroup the Cmaxof paracetamol glucuronide was reduced, whereas the Cmaxof paracetamol sulphate was higher than in the IIIPAgroup. Paracetamol significantly affected the enhanced plasma exposure of lapatinib. Additionally, lapatinib reduced the concentrations of paracetamol. The co-administration of lapatinib decreased the paracetamol glucuronidation but increased the sulphation. The findings of this study may be of clinical relevance to patients requiring analgesic therapy.
- An Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Pathway for Microvascular Breast Reconstruction Is Safe and Effective. [Journal Article]
- PRPlast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2018; 6(1):e1634
- CONCLUSIONS: A clinical care pathway in microsurgical breast reconstruction using the ERAS Society guideline promotes successful early recovery.
- Prophylactically applied Hydrofilm polyurethane film dressings reduce radiation dermatitis in adjuvant radiation therapy of breast cancer patients. [Journal Article]
- AOActa Oncol 2018 Feb 20; :1-8
- CONCLUSIONS: The obtained results along with a favorable cost-benefit ratio and an easy and quick application suggest a prophylactic application of Hydrofilm in adjuvant radiotherapy of breast cancer patients to reduce or even prevent radiation dermatitis.
New Search Next
- Comparison of Paravertebral Block by Anatomic Landmark Technique to Ultrasound-Guided Paravertebral Block for Breast Surgery Anesthesia: A Randomized Controlled Trial. [Journal Article]
- RAReg Anesth Pain Med 2018 Feb 16
- CONCLUSIONS: Ultrasound-guided PVB provided better anesthesia and perioperative analgesia than the landmark technique for breast surgery.