- Quantitative assessment of the conjunctival microcirculation using a smartphone and slit-lamp biomicroscope. [Journal Article]
- MRMicrovasc Res 2019 Jul 19; :103907
- CONCLUSIONS: We, for the first time, report the successful assessment and quantification of the conjunctival microcirculatory haemodynamics using a smartphone-based system.
- Modeling and Statistical Optimization of Culture Conditions for Improvement of Antifungal Compounds Production by Streptomyces albidoflavus S19 Strain of Wastewater Origin. [Journal Article]
- AAAntiinfect Agents 2019; 17(1):39-49
- CONCLUSIONS: The strain S19 isolated from wastewater showed a significant anti-C. albicans activity and this study revealed the effectiveness of RSM and CCD for increasing bioactive compounds production, rising the diameter of inhibition zones from 13 to 34 mm.
- The utility of next generation sequencing in the correct diagnosis of congenital hypochloremic hypokalemic metabolic alkalosis. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Med Genet 2019 Jul 17; :103728
- Persistent hypokalemic hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis represents a heterogeneous group of genetic disorders of which the most common is Bartter syndrome (BS). BS is an inherited renal tubulopathy …
Persistent hypokalemic hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis represents a heterogeneous group of genetic disorders of which the most common is Bartter syndrome (BS). BS is an inherited renal tubulopathy caused by defective salt reabsorption in the thick ascending loop of Henle, which results in persistent hypokalemic hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis. Here we report a 10-year-old girl of a consanguineous family. She presented prenatally with severe polyhydramnios and distended bowel loops. Thereafter, she displayed failure to thrive and had recurrent admissions due to dehydration episodes associated with diarrhea, and characterized by hypokalemia, hypochloremia and metabolic alkalosis. BS was considered her working diagnosis for several years despite negative genetic analysis of the known genes associated with BS. Whole exome sequencing identified a novel homozygous c.1652delT deleterious frameshift mutation in the SLC26A3 gene, which confirmed the diagnosis of congenital chloride diarrhea (CCD), a rare autosomal recessive disease that mimics biochemically BS. A review of twelve additional reported cases of CCD that were initially misdiagnosed as BS, emphasizes CCD in the differential diagnosis of BS, and highlights the clinical discrepancies between these two entities. Taken together, our report further emphasizes the typical clinical features of CCD, and the importance of next generation sequencing in the diagnosis of syndromes with genetic heterogeneity. We suggest including SLC26A3 in the extended BS targeted gene panels.
- Five-factor-at-a-time (FFAT) approach for optimal production of an extracellular RNase from Bacillus safensis RB-5. [Journal Article]
- PBPrep Biochem Biotechnol 2019 Jul 19; :1-11
- A Gram-positive, rod-shaped, endospore-forming, and RNA-degrading bacterium RB-5 was isolated from a soil sample. Based on 16-rDNA gene sequence, the bacterium RB-5 was identified as Bacillus safensi…
A Gram-positive, rod-shaped, endospore-forming, and RNA-degrading bacterium RB-5 was isolated from a soil sample. Based on 16-rDNA gene sequence, the bacterium RB-5 was identified as Bacillus safensis (Accession number KX443714.1). The bacterium appeared to be related to Bacillus safensis KL-052, an other-member of genus Bacillus. One-factor-at-a-time (OFAT) and Response Surface Methodology (RSM) statistical approaches were used to optimize the fermentation broth to obtain an improved extracellular RNase production from B. safensis RB-5. These approaches improved RNase activity of B. safensis KL-052 from 4.26 to 7.85 U/mL. The OFAT approach was used to study the effects of supplementation of carbon, nitrogen and physical conditions, which included temperature, pH and agitation rate on extracellular RNase production by B. safensis KL-052. Five variables screened by Central Composite Design (CCD) were employed to evaluate their interactive effects on RNase production by the organism. CCD selected 25 factorial values obtained by the statistical approach were peptone 1.13% (w/v), sodium nitrate 1.13% (w/v), MgSO4 0.06% (w/v), pH 8.5, and temperature 35 °C for RNase production by B. safensis. The highest predicted value of RNase was 7.05 U/ml while actual obtained value was 7.85 U/ml that was ∼84% and 1.84-fold higher than OFAT approach.
- Synthesis of molecularly imprinted nanoparticles for selective exposure assessment of permethrin: optimization by response surface methodology. [Journal Article]
- JEJ Environ Health Sci Eng 2019; 17(1):393-406
- CONCLUSIONS: The satisfactory results confirmed the reliability and efficiency of the proposed method for trace analysis of permethrin isomers in biological and environmental samples.
- Carotid-cochlear dehiscence: a dangerous mimicker of inner ear pathologies. [Journal Article]
- BCBMJ Case Rep 2019 Jul 17; 12(7)
- A 67-year-old woman was referred to the otolaryngology service after presenting to the emergency department for dizziness and loss of balance. She reported several similar episodes over the past year…
A 67-year-old woman was referred to the otolaryngology service after presenting to the emergency department for dizziness and loss of balance. She reported several similar episodes over the past years. Physical examination was unremarkable. A temporal bone CT scan revealed dehiscence between the bony carotid canal and the cochlea resulting in the diagnosis of carotid-cochlear dehiscence (CCD). CCD is an extremely rare condition involving the thinning of the bony canal separating the internal carotid artery from the cochlea. CCD is best diagnosed with temporal bone CT scan. Treatment options include observation as well as chemical or surgical labyrenthectomy. Despite similar clinical and diagnostic characteristics of reported CCD cases, general trends and consensus on treatment options cannot be ascertained due to the extreme rarity of this condition. Regardless of these limitations, CCD is a critical diagnosis as it mimics other inner ear conditions and poses a potential, significant surgical risk for the otolaryngologist.
- Use of 1H NMR to Detect the Percentage of Pure Fruit Juices in Blends. [Journal Article]
- MMolecules 2019 Jul 17; 24(14)
- The consumption of high-nutritional-value juice blends is increasing worldwide and, considering the large market volume, fraud and adulteration represent an ongoing problem. Therefore, advanced anti-…
The consumption of high-nutritional-value juice blends is increasing worldwide and, considering the large market volume, fraud and adulteration represent an ongoing problem. Therefore, advanced anti-fraud tools are needed. This study aims to verify the potential of 1H NMR combined with partial least squares regression (PLS) to determine the relative percentage of pure fruit juices in commercial blends. Apple, orange, pineapple, and pomegranate juices were selected to set up an experimental plan and then mixed in different proportions according to a central composite design (CCD). NOESY (nuclear Overhauser enhancement spectroscopy) experiments that suppress the water signal were used. Considering the high complexity of the spectra, it was necessary to pretreat and then analyze by chemometric tools the large amount of information contained in the raw data. PLS analysis was performed using venetian-blind internal cross-validation, and the model was established using different chemometric indicators (RMSEC, RMSECV, RMSEP, R2CAL, R2CV, R2PRED). PLS produced the best model, using five factors explaining 94.51 and 88.62% of the total variance in X and Y, respectively. The present work shows the feasibility and advantages of using 1H NMR spectral data in combination with multivariate analysis to develop and optimize calibration models potentially useful for detecting fruit juice adulteration.
- Protein engineering of carotenoid cleavage dioxygenases to optimize β-ionone biosynthesis in yeast cell factories. [Journal Article]
- FCFood Chem 2019 Jul 08; 299:125089
- Synthesis of β-ionone in recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae is limited by the efficiency of Carotenoid Cleavage Dioxygenases (CCD), membrane-tethered enzymes catalyzing the last step in the pathway…
Synthesis of β-ionone in recombinant Saccharomyces cerevisiae is limited by the efficiency of Carotenoid Cleavage Dioxygenases (CCD), membrane-tethered enzymes catalyzing the last step in the pathway. We performed in silico design and membrane affinity analysis, focused on single-point mutations of PhCCD1 to improve membrane anchoring. The resulting constructs were tested in a β-carotene hyper-producing strain by comparing colony pigmentation against colonies transformed with native PhCCD1 and further analyzed by β-ionone quantification via RP-HPLC. Two single-point mutants increased β-ionone yields almost 3-fold when compared to native PhCCD1. We also aimed to improve substrate accessibility of PhCCD1 through the amino-terminal addition of membrane destination peptides directed towards the endoplasmic reticulum or plasma membrane. Yeast strains expressing peptide-PhCCD1 constructs showed β-ionone yields up to 4-fold higher than the strain carrying the native enzyme. Our results demonstrate that protein engineering of CCDs significantly increases the yield of β-ionone synthesized by metabolically engineered yeast.
- Analysis of Physcomitrella Phytochrome Mutants via Phototropism and Polarotropism. [Journal Article]
- MMMethods Mol Biol 2019; 2026:225-236
- In mosses such as Physcomitrella patens phytochrome photoreceptors steer directional/vectorial responses to unilateral/polarized light. In this chapter, we describe procedures to assay phototropism a…
In mosses such as Physcomitrella patens phytochrome photoreceptors steer directional/vectorial responses to unilateral/polarized light. In this chapter, we describe procedures to assay phototropism and polarotropism quantitatively in wild type and mutant lines. Protonemata are placed on agar-based medium in square Petri dishes in darkness for 1 week, allowing caulonemata to develop and grow negatively gravitropically. For phototropism, the dishes are placed vertically in black boxes and unilaterally irradiated with continuous red light. For polarotropism, Petri dishes are placed horizontally and irradiated with linearly polarized red light from above. After irradiation, the filaments are photographed using a macroscope with CCD camera and the bending angles measured using image processing software. The data are transfered to a spreadsheet program, placed into 10° bending angle classes and illustrated using a circular histogram.
New Search Next
- Application of a Cloud Model-Set Pair Analysis in Efficacy Assessment for Diabetic Ulcers. [Journal Article]
- EBEvid Based Complement Alternat Med 2019; 2019:8450397
- Because treatment of diabetic ulcers includes various uncertainties, efficacy assessments are needed and significant. In previous studies, set pair analysis (SPA) has been applied to the efficacy ass…
Because treatment of diabetic ulcers includes various uncertainties, efficacy assessments are needed and significant. In previous studies, set pair analysis (SPA) has been applied to the efficacy assessments of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) that pick out uncertainties related to the development and prognosis of disease. Optimized clinical protocols of SPA improve clinical efficacy. In the article, cloud model (CM) is employed to improve SPA, and a novel efficacy assessment method for a treatment of diabetic ulcers is proposed based on the cloud model-set pair analysis (CM-SPA). It is recommended to replace connection degree (CD) with cloud connection degree (CCD) that the efficacy assessment results are shown as normal clouds. Then, three diabetic ulcers patients treated with TCM made importance assessment by both CM-SPA and AHP based SPA. The comparison of assessment results shows that the CM-SPA is efficacious for the efficacy assessment of a treatment for diabetic ulcers and the results will be more scientific and accurate via CM-SPA.