- Prevalence of Actinic Keratosis in Patients Attending General Practitioners in Switzerland. [Journal Article]
- DDermatology 2018 Aug 20; :1-6
- CONCLUSIONS: In Switzerland AK is a common diagnosis in dermatology practices. Since up to 5% of AK may progress to invasive squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), prevention of AK, as well as education of patients and general practitioners, may play a critical role for subsequent SCC development. This is the first study on AK prevalence in Switzerland identifying patients most affected by AK. These results will help to define future approaches to target general practitioners for education, screening, and specific intervention in patients with AK.
- Increased Risk of Dementia in Patients with Antidepressants: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. [Journal Article]
- BNBehav Neurol 2018; 2018:5315098
- Antidepressants are the most commonly and widely used medication for its effectiveness in the treatment of anxiety and depression. A few epidemiological studies have documented that antidepressant is...
Antidepressants are the most commonly and widely used medication for its effectiveness in the treatment of anxiety and depression. A few epidemiological studies have documented that antidepressant is associated with increased risk of dementia so far. Here, our aim is to assess the association between antidepressant use and risk of dementia in elderly patients. We searched articles through MEDLINE, EMBASE, Google, and Google Scholar from inception to December 1, 2017, that reported on the association between antidepressant use and dementia risk. Data were collected from each study independently, and study duplication was checked by at least three senior researchers based on a standardized protocol. Summary relative risk (RR) with 95% CI was calculated by using a random-effects model. We selected 9 out of 754 unique abstracts for full-text review using our predetermined selection criteria, and 5 out of these 9 studies, comprising 53,955 participants, met all of our inclusion criteria. The overall pooled RR of dementia was 1.75 (95% CI: 1.033-2.964) for SSRIs whereas the overall pooled RR of dementia was 2.131 (95% CI: 1.427-3.184) for tricyclic use. Also, MAOIs showed a high rate of increase with significant heterogeneity. Our findings indicate that antidepressant use is significantly associated with an increased risk of developing dementia. Therefore, we suggest physicians to carefully prescribe antidepressants, especially in elder patients. Additionally, treatment should be stopped if any symptoms related to dementia are to be noticed.
- Concordance of somatic mutation profiles [BRAF, NRAS and TERT] and tumoral PD-L1 in matched primary cutaneous and metastatic melanoma samples. [Journal Article]
- HPHum Pathol 2018 Aug 15
- Despite the efficacy of BRAF-targeted and PD-L1-related immune therapies in tackling metastatic melanoma, a significant number of patients exhibit resistance. Given this, the objective of the current...
Despite the efficacy of BRAF-targeted and PD-L1-related immune therapies in tackling metastatic melanoma, a significant number of patients exhibit resistance. Given this, the objective of the current study was to ascertain concordance of somatic mutations in BRAF/ NRAS/TERT and, immunohistochemical PD-L1 and CD8 in matched primary cutaneous and metastatic melanoma. A total of 43 archival paired samples with sufficient material for genetic and immunohistochemical analyses met criteria for inclusion in the study. Immunohistochemistry was performed for PD-L1 and CD8 and, direct-DNA Sanger sequencing for BRAF/ NRAS/TERT promoter mutational analyses. Agreement between paired samples was assessed using Cohen's kappa (ĸ). Poor concordance among primary and corresponding metastases were noted in: BRAF (9/42 cases discordant, ĸ=0.49, 95%CI: 0.21-0.77, P=.0013), TERT promoter mutations (13/41 cases discordant, ĸ=0.33, 95%CI: 0.04-0.62, P=.033), tumoral PD-L1 immunoexpression (9/43 cases discordant, ĸ=0.39, 95%CI: 0.07-0.72, P=.0099) and immunoexpression of CD8+ T lymphocytes (12/43 cases discordant, ĸ=0.44, 95%CI: 0.19-0.69, P=.002). While NRAS1 and NRAS2 were highly concordant (42/43 and 39/43 cases respectively), discordant NRAS2 mutational status was associated with a median time to metastasis of 90 vs. 455days for pairs with concordant status (P=.07). Although limited by sample size, our findings suggest that consideration be given to mutational analysis of metastatic tissue rather than the primary to guide BRAF targeted therapy and question the roles of TERT promoter mutations and PD-L1 as predictive biomarkers in malignant melanoma.
- Impact of Hidradenitis Suppurativa on Work Loss, Indirect Costs and Income. [Journal Article]
- BJBr J Dermatol 2018 Aug 18
- CONCLUSIONS: Newly diagnosed and general HS patients experienced a greater indirect burden compared with matched controls. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- The role of informatics in improving patient care. [Editorial]
- CMComput Methods Programs Biomed 2018; 163:A1
- An Unusual Vesiculopustular Eruption: Answer. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Dermatopathol 2018; 40(9):703
- Photodynamic therapy for rosacea in Chinese patients. [Journal Article]
- PPPhotodiagnosis Photodyn Ther 2018 Aug 14
- CONCLUSIONS: ALA-PDT is an effective and safe approach for the treatment of rosacea of erythematotelangiectatic or papulopustular types, to control clinical manifestations and reduce subjective symptoms.
- Quality of life and treatment goals in psoriasis from the patient perspective: results of an Austrian cross-sectional survey. [Journal Article]
- JDJ Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2018; 16(8):981-990
- CONCLUSIONS: Despite dermatological care, the majority of Austrian psoriasis patients continues to experience impaired quality of life; there is potential for improvement in the achievement of treatment goals.
- Bilateral agminated skin-colored papules and nodules on the dorsum of the hands. [Journal Article]
- IJIndian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2018 Aug 14
New Search Next
- Digital dermatoscopy as a useful tool for evaluating therapeutic efficacy in a patient with eruptive keratoacanthomas. [Journal Article]
- DPDermatol Pract Concept 2018; 8(3):204-207