- Athlete's heart in a Brazilian paralympic judo team. Case series study. [Journal Article]
- SPSao Paulo Med J 2018; 136(2):136-139
- CONCLUSIONS: Signs of athlete's heart were seen frequently in the paralympic judo team. These demonstrated the presence of mild cardiac adaptations to training.
- Effects of Prolonged Spaceflight on Atrial Size, Atrial Electrophysiology, and Risk of Atrial Fibrillation. [Journal Article]
- CACirc Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2018; 11(5):e005959
- CONCLUSIONS: Six months of spaceflight may be sufficient to cause transient changes in left atrial structure and atrial electrophysiology that increase the risk of AF. However, there was no definite evidence of increased supraventricular arrhythmias and no identified episodes of AF.
- Association between atrial fibrillation, atrial enlargement, and left ventricular geometric remodeling. [Journal Article]
- SRSci Rep 2018 Apr 23; 8(1):6366
- This study investigated the relationship between atrial fibrillation (AF) and left ventricular (LV) geometric patterns in a hospital-based population in Japan. We retrospectively analyzed 4444 patien...
This study investigated the relationship between atrial fibrillation (AF) and left ventricular (LV) geometric patterns in a hospital-based population in Japan. We retrospectively analyzed 4444 patients who had undergone simultaneous scheduled transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) and electrocardiography during 2013. A total of 430 patients who had findings of previous myocardial infarctions (n = 419) and without the data on body surface area (n = 11) were excluded from the study. We calculated the LV mass index (LVMI) and relative wall (RWT) and categorized 4014 patients into four groups as follows: normal geometry (n = 3046); concentric remodeling (normal LVMI and high RWT, n = 437); concentric hypertrophy (high LVMI and high RWT, n = 149); and eccentric remodeling (high LVMI and normal RWT, n = 382). The mean left atrial volume indices (LAVI) were 22.5, 23.8, 33.3, and 37.0 mm/m2 in patients with normal geometry, concentric remodeling, concentric hypertrophy, and eccentric hypertrophy, respectively. The mean LV ejection fractions (LVEF) were 62.7, 62.6, 60.8, and 53.8%, respectively, whereas the prevalence of AF was 10.4%, 10.5%, 14.8%, and 16.8% in patients with normal geometry, concentric remodeling, concentric hypertrophy, and eccentric hypertrophy, respectively. In conclusion, the prevalence of AF was increasing according to LV geometric remodeling patterns in association with LA size and LVEF.
- Hemodynamic Consequence of Different Pacing Modes after Aortic Valve Replacement. [Journal Article]
- HSHeart Surg Forum 2018 Mar 06; 21(2):E090-E095
- CONCLUSIONS: An increase in the heart rate does not lead to a notable drop in SV postoperatively in left-ventricular hypertrophy; hence a rise in cardiac output can be anticipated up to a rate of 100 beats/min. A standardized response in terms of an ideal pacemaker stimulation mode could not be identified.
- Assessment of electrocardiographic criteria of left atrial enlargement. [Journal Article]
- ACAsian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2018; 26(4):273-276
- Background Left atrial enlargement is considered to be a robust, strong, and widely acceptable indicator of cardiovascular outcomes. Echocardiography is the gold standard for measurement of left atri...
Background Left atrial enlargement is considered to be a robust, strong, and widely acceptable indicator of cardiovascular outcomes. Echocardiography is the gold standard for measurement of left atrial size, but electrocardiography can be simple, cost-effective, and noninvasive in clinical practice. This study was undertaken to assess the diagnostic accuracy of an established electrocardiographic criterion for left atrial enlargement, taking 2-dimensional echocardiography as the gold-standard technique. Methods A cross-sectional study was conducted on 146 consecutively selected patients with the complaints of dyspnea and palpitation and with a murmur detected on clinical examination, from September 10, 2016 to February 10, 2017. Electrocardiography and echocardiography were performed in all patients. Patients with a negative P wave terminal force in lead V1 > 40 ms·mm on electrocardiography or left atrial dimension > 40 mm on echocardiography were classified as having left atrial enlargement. Sensitivity and specificity were calculated to assess the diagnostic accuracy. Results Taking 2-dimensional echocardiography as the gold-standard technique, electrocardiography correctly diagnosed 68 patients as positive for left atrial enlargement and 12 as negative. The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, and accuracy of electrocardiography for left atrial enlargement were 54.4%, 57.1%, 88.3%, 17.4%, and 54.8%, respectively. Conclusion The electrocardiogram appears to be a reasonable indicator of left atrial enlargement. In case of nonavailability of echocardiography, electrocardiography can be used for diagnosis of left atrial enlargement.
- Variation in cardiac markers and electrocardiographic alterations in young calves naturally infected with bovine tropical theileriosis. [Journal Article]
- TATrop Anim Health Prod 2018 Feb 17
- The present study was designed to assess the deleterious effects of bovine tropical theileriosis on the cardiovascular system and the consequent myocardial involvement in young calves. Myocardial eff...
The present study was designed to assess the deleterious effects of bovine tropical theileriosis on the cardiovascular system and the consequent myocardial involvement in young calves. Myocardial effects in parasitic diseases are often neglected. Hemolytic anemia, associated secondary hypoxia, and vasculitis are cardinal features of bovine theileriosis. In the present study, electrocardiogram (ECG) alongside serum cardiac troponin I (cTnI) and creatinine phosphokinase-myocardial band (CPK-MB) concentrations were analyzed in infected, treated, and control groups of young calves. Non-significant alterations were noticed in ECG. However, certain signs like sinus tachycardia, first-degree AV block, atrial premature complex, left atrial hypertrophy, and right atrial hypertrophy were found on consistent basis in infected calves. A significant increase in the serum concentration levels of cTnI and CPK-MB was noticed in infected calves followed by significant fall in both these biomarkers post treatment. cTnI and CPK-MB can definitely be used as myocardial markers in theileriosis-affected animals.
- Echocardiographic and electrocardiographic abnormalities in adults living with human immunodeficiency virus: a cross-sectional study in the Yaoundé Central Hospital, Cameroon. [Journal Article]
- CDCardiovasc Diagn Ther 2017; 7(6):607-615
- CONCLUSIONS: HIV infected adults have more echocardiographic and ECG abnormalities compared to non-infected adults. The ECG and echocardiographic anomalies varied, and depends on the severity of immune deficiency.
- Left atrial abnormality (LAA) as a predictor of ibrutinib-associated atrial fibrillation in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. [Journal Article]
- CBCancer Biol Ther 2018 Jan 02; 19(1):1-2
- Results from several recent studies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) have demonstrated an association between ibrutinib exposure and the development of atrial fibrillation, estimated incidence o...
Results from several recent studies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) have demonstrated an association between ibrutinib exposure and the development of atrial fibrillation, estimated incidence of 11% with long-term follow up. This is a common cause of ibrutinib discontinuation. Risk factors for atrial fibrillation include advanced age, hypertension (HTN), mitral valve disease (MVD), left atrial remodeling, coronary artery disease (CAD) and risk factors for cardiovascular dysfunction We conducted a retrospective case control study using the presence of left atrial abnormality identified on pre-ibrutinib EKGs, defined as either (1) Lead II-bifed p wave, with 40 mcsec between peaks for ≥ 2.5 mm wide ≥ 100 msec in duration, (2) Lead V1-biphasic P wave with terminal portion ≥ 40 msec in duration or terminal portion ≥ 1 mm deep or (3) PR interval ≥ 200 msec (intra-atrial conduction delay) as a predictor for development of atrial fibrillation. 183 consecutively CLL patients treated with ibrutinib were identified. 44 patients met inclusion criteria (20 cases, 24 controls). 20 (11.3%) of patients developed atrial fibrillation. Left atrial enlargement was identified as a significant predictor of development of atrial fibrillation (OR 9.1, 95% CI 2.2-37.3, p=0.02). Age, baseline HTN, CAD, diabetes, age and sex were not significant predictors. Area under the ROC curve for the model was estimated to be 75%. LAA identified by EKG is a moderately specific and sensitive finding that can identify patients at increased risk for this toxicity.
- Prevalence of electrocardiographic abnormalities in primary care patients according to sex and age group. A retrospective observational study. [Journal Article]
- SPSao Paulo Med J 2018 Jan-Feb; 136(1):20-28
- CONCLUSIONS: Electrocardiographic abnormalities were relatively common findings, even in the younger age groups. The prevalence of electrocardiographic abnormalities increased with age and was higher among men in all age groups, although women had higher frequency of self-reported comorbidities.
New Search Next
- Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase-Induced Hypertrophy and Vascular Dysfunction Contribute to the Left Ventricular Dysfunction in Caveolin-1-/-Mice. [Journal Article]
- CJCan J Cardiol 2017; 33(12):1716-1724
- CONCLUSIONS: Synergistic effects between eNOS-related cardiac hypertrophy and vascular hypercontractility appear to underlie the left ventricular dysfunction in Cav1-/-mice. These findings provide insights relevant to the poorly understood pathophysiology of HFpEF.