- Activin a promotes myofibroblast differentiation of endometrial mesenchymal stem cells via STAT3-dependent Smad/CTGF pathway. [Journal Article]
- CCCell Commun Signal 2019 May 17; 17(1):45
- CONCLUSIONS: Activin A promotes myofibroblast differentiation of endometrial mesenchymal stem cells via STAT3-dependent Smad/CTGF pathway. The results provided the first evidence that STAT3 acted as a crucial Activin A downstream mediator to regulate CTGF production. Our data may supplement the stem cell theory of endometriosis and provide the experimental basis to treat endometriosis-associated fibrosis by manipulating Activin A signaling.
- BDNF and serum S100B levels according the spectrum of structural pathology in chronic pain patients. [Journal Article]
- NLNeurosci Lett 2019 May 14
- Central sensitivity syndrome (CSS) consists of adaptive pathophysiological changes associated with neuroplasticity in some chronic pain disorders. It could be grouped in two main conceptual condition…
Central sensitivity syndrome (CSS) consists of adaptive pathophysiological changes associated with neuroplasticity in some chronic pain disorders. It could be grouped in two main conceptual conditions: one includes those chronic pain patients without overt structural pathology such as fibromyalgia, and the other subgroup includes conditions with recognizable structural abnormalities, both somatic (osteoarthritis) and visceral (endometriosis). In order to understand the role of neuromodulators in CCS we aim to determine whether brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and S100B are associated to specific chronic pain disorders. Serum BDNF and S100B were measured in chronic pain women with different diagnosis: 88 with osteoarthritis, 36 with endometriosis, 117 with fibromyalgia, 33 with chronic tension type headache and in 41 healthy controls. ANCOVA analysis followed by heteroscedasticity-consistent covariance matrix was performed to evaluate BDNF and S100B levels, adjusted for depression severity, pain levels and use of analgesics according different pathologies. Serum BDNF concentrations were higher and not different in patients with fibromyalgia and headache, the CSS group without structural pathology. In contrast, the concentrations of S100B were higher in patients with osteoarthritis and endometriosis, in comparison to controls, fibromyalgia and tensional headache patients. This study supports the hypothesis that BDNF and S100B neuromodulators present different serum levels according to the background disease associated to the chronic pain. These have the potential to be studied as markers of active disease or treatment evolution.
- Elevated serum interleukin-32 levels in patients with endometriosis: A cross-sectional study. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Reprod Immunol 2019 May 17; :e13149
- CONCLUSIONS: Serum IL-32 levels are elevated in patients with endometriosis, and with combination of serum CA-125 levels, it may serve as a potential biomarker for endometriosis. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Pathology of Endometrioid and Clear Cell Carcinoma of the Ovary. [Review]
- SPSurg Pathol Clin 2019; 12(2):529-564
- This review is an appraisal of the current state of knowledge of 2 enigmatic histotypes of ovarian carcinoma: endometrioid and clear cell carcinoma. Both show an association endometriosis and the her…
This review is an appraisal of the current state of knowledge of 2 enigmatic histotypes of ovarian carcinoma: endometrioid and clear cell carcinoma. Both show an association endometriosis and the hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (Lynch) syndrome, and both typically present at an early stage. Pathologic and immunohistochemical features that distinguish these tumors from high-grade serous carcinomas, each other, and other potential mimics are discussed, as are staging, grading, and molecular pathogenesis.
- Effectiveness of dienogest in improving quality of life in Asian women with endometriosis (ENVISIOeN): interim results from a prospective cohort study under real-life clinical practice. [Journal Article]
- BWBMC Womens Health 2019 May 16; 19(1):68
- CONCLUSIONS: The data indicate an amelioration of HRQoL and EAPP upon dienogest therapy. No new safety signals were observed. Therefore, its use as first-line therapy for long-term management of debilitating and chronic endometriosis-associated pain represents an interesting option that remains to be further investigated.
- Iatrogenic Kaposi sarcoma of the terminal ileum following short-term treatment with immunomodulators for Crohn disease: A case report. [Journal Article]
- MMedicine (Baltimore) 2019; 98(20):e15714
- CONCLUSIONS: This case underlines the interaction of immunosuppressive therapy with the possible consequent development of visceral KS.
- Abdominal Wall Endometriosis in an Abdominoplasty Patient. [Journal Article]
- APAesthetic Plast Surg 2019 May 15
- Ethiopathogenic mechanisms of endometriosis-related infertility. [Journal Article]
- JAJBRA Assist Reprod 2019 May 15
- Endometriosis is a highly prevalent disease among women of reproductive age and is frequently associated to infertility. However, the mechanisms underlying endometriosis-related infertility are still…
Endometriosis is a highly prevalent disease among women of reproductive age and is frequently associated to infertility. However, the mechanisms underlying endometriosis-related infertility are still not completely known. Several studies have been conducted in order to elucidate this question. Besides anatomical changes that may impair gametes and embryo transport along the tubes; a smaller ovarian reserve due to advanced endometriosis and endometriomas; and a dysregulated hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, there are pieces of evidence suggesting that the peritoneal ectopic endometrial foci may induce a local inflammatory response, with the recruitment of macrophages, cytokine release, and reactive oxygen species generation, leading to a pro-oxidant peritoneal microenvironment. These alterations may be systemically reflected and also affect the follicular microenvironment. A harmful follicular fluid may disrupt cumulus cells functions and, consequently, compromise oocyte competence. There is also evidence suggesting that the peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosis may alter sperm function. Reduced endometrial receptivity is also pointed as a possible mechanism involved in endometriosis-related infertility, which needs further investigation.
- A Novel Ultrasound Technique Called Saline Infusion SonoPODography to Visualize and Understand the Pouch of Douglas and Posterior Compartment Contents: A Feasibility Study. [Journal Article]
- JUJ Ultrasound Med 2019 May 15
- Women with infertility are often investigated with saline-infusion sonohysterography and hysterosalpingo-contrast-sonography. The high prevalence of endometriosis in this population also warrants an …
Women with infertility are often investigated with saline-infusion sonohysterography and hysterosalpingo-contrast-sonography. The high prevalence of endometriosis in this population also warrants an evaluation with transvaginal ultrasound for deep endometriosis. To minimize investigations, we prospectively evaluated the feasibility of a novel combined ultrasound technique called saline-infusion sonoPODography. In most patients, the fluid infused to assess the cavity and tubal patency spilled through patent tubes and filled the pouch of Douglas, yielding a "standoff" view of posterior compartment structures, including uterosacral ligaments, rectovaginal septum, and the pouch of Douglas. We believe this improved our ability to evaluate this space.
New Search Next
- The Endometriosis Impact Questionnaire (EIQ): a tool to measure the long-term impact of endometriosis on different aspects of women's lives. [Journal Article]
- BWBMC Womens Health 2019 May 14; 19(1):64
- CONCLUSIONS: The EIQ, as a disease-specific questionnaire, could be used to provide a better understanding of the impact of endometriosis on different aspects of life, to better meet the needs of women. We recommend additional studies to establish validity evidence for the EIQ, including studies in other countries and languages.