- Advances in the management of cardiovascular disease during pregnancy. [Journal Article]
- FCFuture Cardiol 2018 Jun 22
- Endovascular Therapy for Rheumatic Mitral and Aortic Valve Disease: Review Article. [Review]
- CTCurr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2018 Jun 22; 20(7):59
- Rheumatic heart disease remains a major cause of significant mortality and morbidity in the developing world. Rheumatic mitral and aortic stenosis are the two most common valvular sequelae of acute r...
Rheumatic heart disease remains a major cause of significant mortality and morbidity in the developing world. Rheumatic mitral and aortic stenosis are the two most common valvular sequelae of acute rheumatic fever. Open surgical procedures with either valve replacement or surgical commissurotomy have largely been replaced by percutaneous commissurotomy and balloon valvuloplasty for selected patients since the early 1980s. The purpose of our review is to examine the literature for any recent advancement in procedural techniques of balloon valvuloplasty for selected patients with rheumatic mitral and or aortic stenosis. Our search indicates that, in general, the volume of recent publications on this important topic is rather scanty with no major changes in the fundamentals of procedural techniques and or primary indications for balloon valvuloplasty of a rheumatic valve stenosis. Percutaneous balloon valvuloplasty/commissurotomy remains the main stay of therapy for rheumatic valvular stenosis in selected patients with favorable valve anatomy.
- Transseptal Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement for Post-Surgical Mitral Failures. [Review]
- ICInterv Cardiol 2018; 13(2):77-80
- Post-surgical deterioration of mitral valve repairs or replacements may present a clinical dilemma due to the high-risk nature of repeat surgery. Recent advances in transcatheter techniques and surge...
Post-surgical deterioration of mitral valve repairs or replacements may present a clinical dilemma due to the high-risk nature of repeat surgery. Recent advances in transcatheter techniques and surgery have enabled the implantation of balloon-expandable valves in the mitral position when surgical rings and valves are present. Valves may be implanted either via transseptal or transapical access, with a reported success rate between 88-100 %.
- Feasibility and effectiveness of percutaneous balloon mitral valvuloplasty under echocardiographic guidance only. [Journal Article]
- EEchocardiography 2018 Jun 19
- CONCLUSIONS: In this small experience, PBMV could be successfully performed under only echocardiography guidance and appeared safe and effective while avoiding radiation and contrast agent use.
- Very late presentation of anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery: case report. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Cardiothorac Surg 2018 Jun 18; 13(1):70
- CONCLUSIONS: This case utilized multimodality imaging for delineating the course of abnormal vessels and helping to formulate therapeutic decision.
- [Management of mitral valve stenosis during pregnancy at the Oran university hospital center: About 83 cases]. [Journal Article]
- ACAnn Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 2018 Jun 14
- CONCLUSIONS: Pregnant with critical mitral stenosis form a high-risk groups of life-threatening complications. There is need for close maternal follow-up and fetal surveillance and repair of mitral stenosis should be performed before pregnancy.
- Respirophasic desaturation in multivalvar rheumatic heart disease. [Journal Article]
- ACActa Cardiol 2018 Jun 17; :1-2
- A 28-year-old lady with rheumatic heart disease presented with dyspnoea and overt right heart failure and was admitted for stabilization. She had respirophasic desaturation predominantly during inspi...
A 28-year-old lady with rheumatic heart disease presented with dyspnoea and overt right heart failure and was admitted for stabilization. She had respirophasic desaturation predominantly during inspiration. Trans-oesophageal echocardiography revealed the aetiology of the same and dictated the management strategy.
- Predictors of mitral annulus enlargement? A real-time three-dimensional transesophageal study. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Cardiol 2018 Jun 05
- CONCLUSIONS: In a population of patients with a wide range of LA/LV size related to various conditions, LA volume and myxomatous MR etiology appeared as main predictors of MA size whereas LV size had a more modest influence.
- Minimally Invasive Direct Access Balloon-Expandable Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement for Extensive Mitral Annular Calcification after Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. [Journal Article]
- IInnovations (Phila) 2018 May/Jun; 13(3):222-225
- Mitral annular calcification can pose a formidable surgical challenge in the setting of mitral valve replacement for mitral stenosis. Although there are reports of transapical valve-in-valve transcat...
Mitral annular calcification can pose a formidable surgical challenge in the setting of mitral valve replacement for mitral stenosis. Although there are reports of transapical valve-in-valve transcatheter mitral valve replacement in the setting of degenerated bioprosthetic mitral valve replacement, there is less experience with transcatheter mitral valve replacement for mitral annular calcification. This report describes a patient who previously received a transcatheter aortic valve replacement and then subsequently underwent a minimally invasive right thoracotomy for transcatheter mitral valve replacement with a successful result. We discuss technical pearls and operative considerations based on an extensive experience with minimally invasive valve surgery from a right mini-thoracotomy.
New Search Next
- Mitral valve posterior leaflet reconstruction using extracellular matrix: an acute porcine study. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Cardiothorac Surg 2018 Apr 19
- CONCLUSIONS: Mitral valve posterior leaflet and subvalvular reconstruction using a 2-ply small intestinal submucosal extracellular matrix sheet as patch material was possible in an acute porcine model. The reconstructed mitral valve was fully functional without signs of mitral valve stenosis, valve regurgitation, stenosis or systolic anterior motion. The ballooning appearance of the patch material might, however, constitute an altered leaflet stress distribution in this area.