- Diplopia: A Rare Manifestation of Neuroborreliosis. [Journal Article]
- CRCase Rep Neurol Med 2018; 2018:9720843
- Early disseminated Lyme disease typically presents with cardiac, rheumatologic, or neurologic symptoms. Though uncommon, Borrelia burgdorferi can invade the central nervous system and cause neuroborr...
Early disseminated Lyme disease typically presents with cardiac, rheumatologic, or neurologic symptoms. Though uncommon, Borrelia burgdorferi can invade the central nervous system and cause neuroborreliosis. In these patients, facial palsy, headache, and stiffness of the neck are the most common presenting symptoms. Our case describes a patient with oculomotor nerve palsy manifesting as double vision as the initial presentation of neuroborreliosis.
- Crossed K-Wires Versus Intramedullary Headless Screw Fixation of Unstable Metacarpal Neck Fractures: A Biomechanical Study. [Journal Article]
- IOIowa Orthop J 2018; 38:153-157
- CONCLUSIONS: IMHS fixation of unstable metacarpal neck fractures offers less stability compared to crossed K-wires when loaded in bending.
- Outcome of intramedullary pinning of isolated radial neck fractures in adulthood. [Journal Article]
- JSJ Shoulder Elbow Surg 2018; 27(9):1650-1655
- CONCLUSIONS: Intramedullary pinning of radial neck fractures represents a viable technique in adults because of its safety and simplicity. The complication rates are lower than those in other reports of ORIF.
- A 69-year-old woman with periodic fever, facial swelling, and neck pain. [Journal Article]
- AAAllergy Asthma Proc 2018 Jul 01; 39(4):322-325
- We presented a case of a 69-year-old woman who experienced monthly episodes of facial swelling and nonpruritic, erythematous rash on her face, accompanied by high fever, nausea, headache, and neck pa...
We presented a case of a 69-year-old woman who experienced monthly episodes of facial swelling and nonpruritic, erythematous rash on her face, accompanied by high fever, nausea, headache, and neck pain over 1 year. Her symptoms started with myalgia, arthralgia, fever and neck stiffness, and headache, and then angioedema occurred, which was painful to touch. She underwent multiple iatrogenic diagnostic and therapeutic procedures that did not lead to the correct diagnosis. Subsequently, relevant immunology laboratory tests were conducted after a careful history and physical examination, which led to the diagnosis. This case illustrated the need for a detailed history and thorough immunologic assessment, and the requirement to maintain a broad differential diagnosis.
- Neck Circumference to Height Ratio is a Reliable Predictor of Liver Stiffness and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Prediabetes. [Journal Article]
- IJIndian J Endocrinol Metab 2018 May-Jun; 22(3):347-354
- CONCLUSIONS: NHtR is a reliable tool for community screening of NAFLD and liver stiffness in prediabetes.
- [Meningoencefalitis: etiología infecciosa en pacientes pediátricos de un hospital de referencia]. [Journal Article]
- BMBol Med Hosp Infant Mex 2018; 75(4):231-236
- CONCLUSIONS: El 42% de los pacientes con meningitis, encefalitis o meningoencefalitis tuvieron diagnóstico etiológico infeccioso. La causa más frecuente fue el enterovirus.42 % of the patients with meningitis, encephalitis or meningoencephalitis had an infectious etiological diagnosis; the most frequent cause was enterovirus.
- Acute hypertensive crisis and severe headache after concurrent use of armodafinil and tranylcypromine: Case report and review of the literature. [Journal Article]
- JNJ Neurol Sci 2018 Jul 31; 393:1-3
- Concurrent use of modafinil or armodafinil with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated due to a theoretical risk of drug synergism and acute hypertensive episodes. However, few data ...
Concurrent use of modafinil or armodafinil with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated due to a theoretical risk of drug synergism and acute hypertensive episodes. However, few data are available to substantiate that risk, and several case studies have suggested that the combination is safe. To our knowledge, we present the first case of a patient treated concurrently with armodafinil and tranylcypromine. The patient developed an acute hypertensive crisis with severe headache, nausea, blurry vision, and neck stiffness. Her symptoms corresponded with the predicted pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic response. She was also taking brexpiprazole, which could have contributed to her underlying symptoms. However, limited data suggest that the single combination of brexpiprazole with armodafinil or MAOIs would be safe. Upon review of the literature, two out of seven patients, including our own, treated concurrently with modafinil or armodafinil and an MAOI developed an adverse reaction. Physicians should exercise caution if using these classes of drugs together.
- The Migraine Premonitory Phase. [Journal Article]
- CContinuum (Minneap Minn) 2018; 24(4, Headache):996-1008
- CONCLUSIONS: This article focuses on the prevalence, phenotype, and proposed neurobiology of premonitory symptomatology in migraineurs as well as the scope of future research.
- Vitamin D, cardiovascular and bone health in postmenopausal women with metabolic syndrome. [Journal Article]
- ACAdv Clin Exp Med 2018 Jul 30
- CONCLUSIONS: We showed a high proportion of postmenopausal metabolic women with a vitamin D deficiency, but there was no relation between vitamin D and vascular health or vitamin D and bone health. Nevertheless, the relation between vascular health and bone health exists, although the role of vitamin D in this link has not yet been established.
New Search Next
- Usefulness of Two-Dimensional Digital Kymography in Patients With Vocal Fold Scarring. [Journal Article]
- JVJ Voice 2018 Jul 25
- CONCLUSIONS: Our findings indicate that 2D DKG enables the assessment of overall vocal fold vibrations, regardless of periodicity, and that simultaneous DKG and 2D DKG can be used to confirm abnormal patterns of vocal fold vibrations in patients with impaired flexibility and elasticity of the vocal folds.