- Thai-Lepto-on-admission probability (THAI-LEPTO) score as an early tool for initial diagnosis of leptospirosis: Result from Thai-Lepto AKI study group. [Journal Article]
- PNPLoS Negl Trop Dis 2018 Mar 19; 12(3):e0006319
- CONCLUSIONS: THAI-LEPTO score is a newly developed diagnostic tool for early presumptive diagnosis of leptospirosis in patients presenting with severe clinical suspicion of the disease. The score can easily be applied at the point of care while awaiting confirmatory laboratory results. Each predictor used has been supported by evidence of clinical and pathophysiological correlation.
- Severe abdominal pain and diarrhea - unusual multiple myeloma presentation with a severe prognosis: a case report. [Journal Article]
- JMJ Med Case Rep 2018 Mar 18; 12(1):70
- CONCLUSIONS: This case illustrates the protean initial manifestations of multiple myeloma and the importance of an accurate diagnosis. Our patient's initial presentation with gastrointestinal complaints is rare and the plasmacytoma location is even rarer, providing a challenging diagnostic problem. Prompt recognition of multiple myeloma is critical to institute appropriate therapy and prevention of disease progression.
- Acute effects of high- and low-intensity exercise bouts on leukocyte counts. [Journal Article]
- JEJ Exerc Sci Fit 2015; 13(1):24-28
- CONCLUSIONS: When the same participants were submitted to different exercise intensities, the acute and short-term effects of exercise on white blood cells were intensity-dependent immediately after exercise (i.e., lymphocytosis and monocytosis) and 2 hours after passive recovery (i.e., neutrophilia).
- Blood calcium, glucose and haematology profiles of parturient bitches diagnosed with uterine inertia or obstructive dystocia. [Journal Article]
- RDReprod Domest Anim 2018 Mar 14
- Bitches with dystocia most often present with clinical signs of uterine inertia (UI). The aetiology of myometrial dysfunction in most of these cases is still not elucidated. We compared blood ionized...
Bitches with dystocia most often present with clinical signs of uterine inertia (UI). The aetiology of myometrial dysfunction in most of these cases is still not elucidated. We compared blood ionized calcium (iCa) and glucose concentrations in bitches diagnosed with primary UI (PUI, n = 14), secondary UI (SUI, n = 6) or obstructive dystocia (OD, n = 6), and we described their haematology profiles. Bitches diagnosed with UI had a patent birth canal and delivered no puppies yet (PUI) or only part of the whole litter (SUI). The OD group had no UI and showed strong abdominal contractions. Blood iCa did not differ between the PUI, SUI and OD groups and was not influenced by litter size. There was a significant positive relationship (R2 = .241, p = .013) between iCa concentrations and the dam's body weight. Glucose concentrations were also not significantly different between dystocia groups or influenced by body weight and litter size. Hypocalcaemia was detected in 11 bitches, and hypoglycaemia in two bitches. Pregnancy-associated anaemia was seen in about one-third of the bitches. Eight of 12 dogs had increased platelet counts, and ten had leukocytosis with mature neutrophilia. Although iCa did not differ between dystocia groups, low concentrations may have contributed to the development of UI in some of the small size bitches. Hypoglycaemia was uncommon, and therefore, we consider low glucose concentrations not to have played an important role in the pathogenesis of UI in our study population. Pregnancy-associated anaemia, thrombocytosis, leukocytosis and mature neutrophilia were common findings in otherwise healthy bitches diagnosed with different forms of dystocia.
- Coexistence of chronic myeloid leukemia and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with antecedent chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a case report and review of the literature. [Journal Article]
- JMJ Med Case Rep 2018 Mar 11; 12(1):64
- CONCLUSIONS: In chronic lymphocytic leukemia, progressive leukocytosis and splenomegaly caused by emerging chronic myeloid leukemia can be easily overlooked. It is unlikely that chronic myeloid leukemia arose as a result of clonal evolution secondary to fludarabine treatment given the very short interval after receiving fludarabine. It is also unlikely that imatinib contributed to the development of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma; rather, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma arose as a result of Richter's transformation. Fludarabine, trisomy 12, and CCND1 gene rearrangement might have increased the risk of Richter's transformation in this patient.
- Chronic neutrophilic leukemia: 2018 update on diagnosis, molecular genetics and management. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Hematol 2018; 93(4):578-587
- Chronic neutrophilic leukemia (CNL) is a potentially aggressive myeloproliferative neoplasm, for which current WHO diagnostic criteria include leukocytosis of ≥ 25 x 109/L of which ≥ 80% are neutroph...
Chronic neutrophilic leukemia (CNL) is a potentially aggressive myeloproliferative neoplasm, for which current WHO diagnostic criteria include leukocytosis of ≥ 25 x 109/L of which ≥ 80% are neutrophils, with < 10% circulating neutrophil precursors with blasts rarely observed. In addition, there is no dysplasia, nor clinical or molecular criteria for other myeloproliferative neoplasms.
- Treatment of pyonephrosis with a subcutaneous ureteral bypass device in four cats. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Am Vet Med Assoc 2018 Mar 15; 252(6):744-753
- CASE DESCRIPTION 4 cats were examined because of ureteral obstruction. CLINICAL FINDINGS Clinical and clinicopathologic abnormalities were nonspecific and included anorexia, lethargy, weight loss, a...
CASE DESCRIPTION 4 cats were examined because of ureteral obstruction. CLINICAL FINDINGS Clinical and clinicopathologic abnormalities were nonspecific and included anorexia, lethargy, weight loss, anemia, leukocytosis, neutrophilia, lymphopenia, and azotemia. A diagnosis of pyonephrosis was made in all cats. The presence of bacteriuria was confirmed by means of urinalysis in 2 cats, bacterial culture of a urine sample obtained by means of preoperative cystocentesis in 2 cats, and bacterial culture of samples obtained from the renal pelvis intraoperatively in 3 cats. Ureteral obstruction was caused by a urolith in 3 cats; ureteral stricture associated with a circumcaval ureter was identified in 1 cat. TREATMENT AND OUTCOME All 4 cats underwent renal pelvis lavage and placement of a subcutaneous ureteral bypass (SUB) device for treatment of obstructive pyonephrosis. Postoperatively, the cystostomy tube became occluded with purulent material in 1 cat, requiring exchange. The procedure was successful in relieving the obstruction and pyonephrosis in all cats. Three of 4 cats had documented resolution of urinary tract infection. One cat had persistent bacteriuria without clinical signs 1 month after SUB device placement. CLINICAL RELEVANCE Results of this small series suggested that renal pelvis lavage with placement of an SUB device may be a treatment option for cats with obstructive pyonephrosis.
- 4-Amino-7,8-dihydro-1,6-naphthyridin-5(6 H)-ones as Inhaled Phosphodiesterase Type 4 (PDE4) Inhibitors: Structural Biology and Structure-Activity Relationships. [Journal Article]
- JMJ Med Chem 2018 Mar 13
- Rational design of a novel template of naphthyridinones rapidly led to PDE4 inhibitors with subnanomolar enzymatic potencies. X-ray crystallography confirmed the binding mode of this novel template. ...
Rational design of a novel template of naphthyridinones rapidly led to PDE4 inhibitors with subnanomolar enzymatic potencies. X-ray crystallography confirmed the binding mode of this novel template. We achieved compounds with double-digit picomolar enzymatic potencies through further structure-based design by targeting both the PDE4 enzyme metal-binding pocket and occupying the solvent-filled pocket. A strategy for lung retention and long duration of action based on low aqueous solubility was followed. In vivo efficacies were measured in a rat lung neutrophilia model by suspension microspray and dry powder administration. Suspension microspray of potent compounds showed in vivo efficacy with a clear dose-response. Despite sustained lung levels, dry powder administration performed much less well and without proper dose-response, highlighting clear differences between the two formulations. This indicates a deficiency in the low aqueous solubility strategy for long duration lung efficacy.
- Sweet's Syndrome (SS) in the Course of Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML). [Journal Article]
- OAOpen Access Maced J Med Sci 2018 Jan 25; 6(1):105-107
- Firstly described by Robert Douglas Sweet in 1964, febrile neutrophilic dermatosis is a disabling, not only cutaneous disorder, clinically characterised by fever and painful erythematous nodules, wit...
Firstly described by Robert Douglas Sweet in 1964, febrile neutrophilic dermatosis is a disabling, not only cutaneous disorder, clinically characterised by fever and painful erythematous nodules, with a typical background of neutrophilia. Sweet's syndrome (SS) is a chronic inflammatory reactive disorder of unknown cause and incompletely established pathogenesis, although an interplay between genetic and environmental factors, including infections, is likely to occur. A significant part of cases has been demonstrated to be linked with malignancies, especially in the hematologic setting. Because of the underlying disease and related therapeutic measures, SS may present atypical clinical course, whereas the response to treatment is strictly dependent on the concurrent hematologic disease. Herein we describe a case of a lady who had a refractory form of SS, resulted in a paraneoplastic cutaneous disease, and AML. Surprisingly, clinical remission of SS followed cytotoxic chemotherapy while hematologic disorder obtained a further complete response.
New Search Next
- Asthma phenotypes defined from parameters obtained during recovery from a hospital-treated exacerbation. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018 Feb 22
- CONCLUSIONS: The clusters during recovery from an exacerbation of asthma were distinguished by airflow obstruction and a neutrophilic, eosinophilic or mixed inflammation. Eosinophilic inflammation was found in smoking and non-smoking asthmatics during an exacerbation.