- Body mass index in association with decompression sickness events: cross-sectional study among small-scale fishermen-divers in southeast Mexico. [Journal Article]
- UHUndersea Hyperb Med 2018 Jul-Aug; 45(4):445-451
- CONCLUSIONS: Overweight and obesity are highly preventable health problems; our results suggest that an association between these conditions and the frequency and the severity of DCS are an important topic to be further considered in longitudinal prospective studies.
- Weight-based victimization from friends and family: implications for how adolescents cope with weight stigma. [Journal Article]
- POPediatr Obes 2018 Sep 21
- CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest associations between weight-teasing sources and coping mechanisms. Interventions should examine the role of coping strategies to protect against adverse health effects of weight-based victimization.
- Personalizing obesity assessment and care planning in primary care: patient experience and outcomes in everyday life and health. [Journal Article]
- COClin Obes 2018 Sep 21
- Obesity is a complex, chronic disease, frequently associated with multiple comorbidities. Its management is hampered by a lack of translation of evidence on chronicity and pathophysiology into clinic...
Obesity is a complex, chronic disease, frequently associated with multiple comorbidities. Its management is hampered by a lack of translation of evidence on chronicity and pathophysiology into clinical practice. Also, it is not well understood how to support effective provider-patient communication that adequately addresses patients' personal root causes and barriers and helps them feel capable to take action for their health. This study examined interpersonal processes during clinical consultations, their impacts, and outcomes with the aim to develop an approach to personalized obesity assessment and care planning. We used a qualitative, explorative design with 20 participants with obesity, sampling for maximum variation, to examine video-recorded consultations, patient interviews at three time points, provider interviews and patient journals. Analysis was grounded in a dialogic interactional perspective and found eight key processes that supported patients in making changes to improve health: compassion and listening; making sense of root causes and contextual factors in the patient's story; recognizing strengths; reframing misconceptions about obesity; focusing on whole-person health; action planning; fostering reflection and experimenting. Patient outcomes include activation, improved physical and psychological health. The proposed approach fosters emphatic care relationships and sensible care plans that support patients in making manageable changes to improve health.
- The effects of metabolic syndrome, obesity, and the gut microbiome on load-induced osteoarthritis. [Journal Article]
- OCOsteoarthritis Cartilage 2018 Sep 18
- CONCLUSIONS: Severe obesity increased load-induced cartilage damage, while milder changes in adiposity/metabolic syndrome seen in TLR5KO mice did not. Furthermore, the effects of systemic inflammation/obesity on cartilage damage depend on the duration of mechanical loading. Lastly, reduced cartilage damage in the TLR5KOΔMicrobiota mice suggests that the gut microbiome may influence cartilage pathology.
- Physical activity as a mediator of the associations between perceived environments and body mass index in Chinese adolescents. [Journal Article]
- HPHealth Place 2018 Sep 18; 54:37-42
- This study examined whether physical activity (PA) mediated the relationships of four PA-related environmental settings (home, school, neighborhood environments and convenient facilities) with body m...
This study examined whether physical activity (PA) mediated the relationships of four PA-related environmental settings (home, school, neighborhood environments and convenient facilities) with body mass index (BMI) among Chinese adolescents aged 13-18 years. Two setting indicators were assessed: (1) perceived availability of environmental resources and (2) perceived importance of environmental resources. Mediation analysis indicated that PA mediated the associations of perceived availability of the home environment, convenient facilities, and perceived importance of the school environment and BMI z-score with ratios of mediating to total effects of 46.2%, 37.1%, and 37.5% respectively. Findings suggest that PA is a mechanism by which several environmental correlates may affect adolescents' body weight.
- Randomized controlled trial of monopolar cautery versus clips for staple line bleeding control in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Surg 2018 Sep 18
- CONCLUSIONS: In laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, monopolar cauterization for SLBC can be used instead of clipping. It appears that monopolar cautery is a safe and effective approach for SLBC in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Nck1 Deficiency Impairs Adipogenesis by Activation of PDGFRα in Preadipocytes. [Journal Article]
- IiScience 2018 Aug 31; 6:22-37
- Obesity results from an excessive expansion of white adipose tissue (WAT), which is still poorly understood from an etiologic-mechanistic perspective. Here, we report that Nck1, a Src homology domain...
Obesity results from an excessive expansion of white adipose tissue (WAT), which is still poorly understood from an etiologic-mechanistic perspective. Here, we report that Nck1, a Src homology domain-containing adaptor, is upregulated during WAT expansion and in vitro adipogenesis. In agreement, Nck1 mRNA correlates positively with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) γ and adiponectin mRNAs in the WAT of obese humans, whereas Nck1-deficient mice display smaller WAT depots with reduced number of adipocyte precursors and accumulation of extracellular matrix. Furthermore, silencing Nck1 in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes increases the proliferation and expression of genes encoding collagen, whereas it decreases the expression of adipogenic markers and impairs adipogenesis. Silencing Nck1 in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes also promotes the expression of platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-A and platelet-derived growth factor receptor (PDGFR) α activation and signaling. Preventing PDGFRα activation using imatinib, or through PDGF-A or PDGFRα deficiency, inhibits collagen expression in Nck1-deficient preadipocytes. Finally, imatinib rescues differentiation of Nck1-deficient preadipocytes. Altogether, our findings reveal that Nck1 modulates WAT development through PDGFRα-dependent remodeling of preadipocytes.
- Oral administration of alcalase potato protein hydrolysate-APPH attenuates high fat diet-induced cardiac complications via TGF-β/GSN axis in aging rats. [Journal Article]
- ETEnviron Toxicol 2018 Sep 21
- Consumption of high fat diet (HFD) is associated with increased cardiovascular risk factors among elderly people. Aging and obesity induced-cardiac remodeling includes hypertrophy and fibrosis. Gelso...
Consumption of high fat diet (HFD) is associated with increased cardiovascular risk factors among elderly people. Aging and obesity induced-cardiac remodeling includes hypertrophy and fibrosis. Gelsolin (GSN) induces cardiac hypertrophy and TGF-β, a key cytokine, which induces fibrosis. The relationship between TGF-β and GSN in aging induced cardiac remodeling is still unknown. We evaluated the expressions of TGF-β and GSN in HFD fed 22 months old aging SD rats, followed by the administration of either probucol or alcalase potato protein hydrolysate (APPH). Western blotting and Masson trichrome staining showed that APPH (45 and 75 mg/kg/day) and probucol (500 mg/kg/day) treatments significantly reduced the aging and HFD-induced hypertrophy and fibrosis. Echocardiograph showed that the performance of the hearts was improved in APPH, and probucol treated HFD aging rats. Serum from all rats was collected and H9c2 cells were cultured with collected serums separately. The GSN dependent hypertrophy was inhibited with an exogenous TGF-β in H9c2 cells cultured in HFD+ APPH treated serum. Thus, we propose that along with its role in cardiac fibrosis, TGF-β also acts as an upstream activator of GSN dependent hypertrophy. Hence, TGF-β in serum could be a promising therapeutic target for cardiac remodeling in aging and/or obese subjects.
- Melatonin as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of periodontitis associated with obesity. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Periodontol 2018 Sep 21
- CONCLUSIONS: Adjunctive melatonin therapy significantly reduced alveolar bone loss and exerted a protective anti-inflammatory effect mainly in those experimental animals affected by the co-morbidity of periodontitis and obesity. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
New Search Next
- Type 2 diabetes genetic loci informed by multi-trait associations point to disease mechanisms and subtypes: A soft clustering analysis. [Journal Article]
- PMPLoS Med 2018; 15(9):e1002654
- CONCLUSIONS: Our approach identifies salient T2D genetically anchored and physiologically informed pathways, and supports the use of genetics to deconstruct T2D heterogeneity. Classification of patients by these genetic pathways may offer a step toward genetically informed T2D patient management.