- Treatment of Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura with Homeopathic Dilutions of Patient Blood. [Journal Article]
- CMComplement Med Res 2018 Feb 21
- Which spike train distance is most suitable for distinguishing rate and temporal coding? [Journal Article]
- JNJ Neurosci Methods 2018 Feb 17
- CONCLUSIONS: The most appropriate measure depends on the rates of the data being analysed. Accordingly, we summarize our results in one table that allows an easy selection of the preferred measure for any kind of data.
- Characteristics and predictors for gastrointestinal hemorrhage among adult patients with dengue virus infection: Emphasizing the impact of existing comorbid disease(s). [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2018; 13(2):e0192919
- CONCLUSIONS: Our study is the first to disclose that end stage renal disease and previous stroke, with additional comorbidities, were strongly significant associated with the risk of GI bleeding in patients with dengue virus infection. Identification of these risk factors can be incorporated into the patient assessment and management protocol of dengue virus infection to reduce its mortality.
- Case 251: Nontraumatic Drug-associated Rhabdomyolysis of Head and Neck Muscles. [Journal Article]
- RRadiology 2018; 286(3):1088-1092
- History A 21-year-old man with a history of abuse of multiple drugs and mild cognitive impairment who initially underwent treatment for excited delirium developed respiratory arrest shortly after adm...
History A 21-year-old man with a history of abuse of multiple drugs and mild cognitive impairment who initially underwent treatment for excited delirium developed respiratory arrest shortly after admission and was successfully resuscitated. Unenhanced computed tomography (CT) of the head and neck and contrast material-enhanced CT of the chest, abdomen, pelvis, and complete spine were performed shortly after the initial treatment. Head and neck magnetic resonance (MR) imaging was performed 24 hours after admission. No other abnormalities were noted. There were no fractures, and there was no vascular injury in the head and neck region. The patient had no external neck injuries, congestion, or petechiae suggesting neck compression. He had no history of chronic or recurrent pain or skin rash. Urine testing was positive for cocaine, cannabis, and methamphetamine. Serum creatine kinase level was initially high (31 117 U/L [520 μkat/L]; normal, 1000 U/L [16.7 μkat/L]). Corrected calcium level was 2.22 mmol/L, and ionized calcium level was 1.09 mmol/L (lower end of the normal range). There was no acute renal failure at the initial phase, but serum creatinine levels reached 180 µmol/L 24 hours after admission, and creatine kinase peaked at 61 000 U/L [1019 μkat/L]. Urine was initially red, but the patient was not tested for myoglobinuria.
- A Case Report of Henoch-Schonlein Purpura and IgA Nephropathy Associated With Rivaroxaban. [Letter]
- NNephrology (Carlton) 2018; 23(3):289-290
- Henoch-Schönlein purpura with major gastrointestinal involvement. [Journal Article]
- RGRev Gastroenterol Peru 2017 Oct-Dec; 37(4):399-400
- A Patient with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome and Kidney Failure. [Journal Article]
- CJClin J Am Soc Nephrol 2018 Feb 19
- A 12-Month-Old Healthy Girl with a New Oral Ulcer and Chronic Diaper Rash. [Journal Article]
- DDermatopathology (Basel) 2017 Jan-Dec; 4(1-4):24-30
- A 12-month-old healthy girl presented with a chronic diaper rash. Physical examination demonstrated crusting of the scalp, erythematous papules with surrounding petechiae on the lower abdomen, and an...
A 12-month-old healthy girl presented with a chronic diaper rash. Physical examination demonstrated crusting of the scalp, erythematous papules with surrounding petechiae on the lower abdomen, and an intraoral palatal ulcer. Further imaging demonstrated bone involvement. Histopathologic examination of involved skin and the intraoral ulcer demonstrated epithelioid histiocytes with "coffee bean-shaped" nuclei, staining positive for CD1a and langerin by immunohistochemistry, consistent with Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH). LCH is a disease entity of unknown etiology characterized by histiocytic proliferation that most commonly presents in young children. The cutaneous findings of LCH include a seborrheic dermatitis-like and/or red-brown papular eruption. Intraoral examination is crucial as oral mucosal and maxillofacial skeletal disease can also be seen in LCH. When a child presents with a recalcitrant seborrheic dermatitis-like eruption or chronic diaper rash, the clinician should be alerted to the possibility of LCH. Timely recognition and diagnosis of LCH is important for oncologic referral, evaluation, and treatment.
- Cobalamin deficiency presenting with thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA) features: A systematic review. [Journal Article]
- TATransfus Apher Sci 2018 Jan 11
- CONCLUSIONS: Reticulocytopenia (RPI of <3.0%) was a universal finding that aids in differentiating c.def-TMA from other causes of hemolysis. C.def-TMA was associated with severe anemia, generally mild-moderate thrombocytopenia, and significant elevations in LDH.
New Search Next
- An unusual presentation of primary pulmonary extranodal marginal zone lymphoma of mucosal associated lymphoid tissue: An autopsy case report. [Letter]
- EMExp Mol Pathol 2018 Feb 13
- A 40 year old female with no documented medical history presented to the Emergency Department with several days of lethargy and altered mental status. She was found to be anemic, thrombocytopenic, an...
A 40 year old female with no documented medical history presented to the Emergency Department with several days of lethargy and altered mental status. She was found to be anemic, thrombocytopenic, and hypotensive. The patient was found to be in severe metabolic acidosis, became bradycardic, and quickly deteriorated. Clinicians suspected thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, and the diagnosis was supported by ADAMTS13 testing. The clinicians attempted to place a Quinton catheter for emergent plasmapheresis, but the patient expired before definitive treatment could be initiated. Autopsy was obtained and revealed a right middle lobe consolidation grossly consistent with lymphoid tissue or tumor.