- Monitoring and Sampling Approaches to Assess Underground Coal Mine Dust Exposures [BOOK]
- BOOKNational Academies Press (US): Washington (DC)
- Coal remains one of the principal sources of energy for the United States, and the nation has been a world leader in coal production for more than 100 years. According to U.S. Energy Information Admi...
Coal remains one of the principal sources of energy for the United States, and the nation has been a world leader in coal production for more than 100 years. According to U.S. Energy Information Administration projections to 2050, coal is expected to be an important energy resource for the United States. Additionally, metallurgical coal used in steel production remains an important national commodity. However, coal production, like all other conventional mining activities, creates dust in the workplace. Respirable coal mine dust (RCMD) comprises the size fraction of airborne particles in underground mines that can be inhaled by miners and deposited in the distal airways and gas-exchange region of the lung. Occupational exposure to RCMD has long been associated with lung diseases common to the coal mining industry, including coal workers' pneumoconiosis, also known as “black lung disease.” Monitoring and Sampling Approaches to Assess Underground Coal Mine Dust Exposures compares the monitoring technologies and sampling protocols currently used or required by the United States, and in similarly industrialized countries for the control of RCMD exposure in underground coal mines. This report assesses the effects of rock dust mixtures and their application on RCMD measurements, and the efficacy of current monitoring technologies and sampling approaches. It also offers science-based conclusions regarding optimal monitoring and sampling strategies to aid mine operators' decision making related to reducing RCMD exposure to miners in underground coal mines.
- Extracellular histones promote pulmonary fibrosis in patients with coal workers' pneumoconiosis. [Journal Article]
- JOJ Occup Environ Med 2018 Oct 10
- CONCLUSIONS: Consistent with our hypothesis, the concentrations of extracellular histones were indices of the severity of pulmonary fibrosis in simple CWP, and extracellular histones-targeted intervention could inhibit the proliferation of lung fibroblast.
- Silicosis: A former occupational disease with new occupational exposure scenarios. [Journal Article]
- RCRev Clin Esp 2018 Oct 04
- CONCLUSIONS: The work of assembling/cutting/sanding AQA countertops presents a high risk of developing the disease. The mean age at onset and the exposure time for this group is lower, and the percentage of complicated clinical forms is higher. Improvements need to be made in preventive planning for companies with exposure to these new agents.
- Computed tomography findings of arc-welders' pneumoconiosis: Comparison with silicosis. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Radiol 2018; 107:98-104
- CONCLUSIONS: Ill-defined centrilobular nodules, GGO and centrilobular branching opacity were more frequently observed in AWP than silicosis. Because these findings are difficult to detect by chest radiograph, CT should be considered for the assessment of patients with suspected AWP.
- Deep learning in chest radiography: Detection of findings and presence of change. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2018; 13(10):e0204155
- CONCLUSIONS: DL algorithm can aid in interpretation of CXR findings and their stability over follow up CXR. However, in its present version, it is unlikely to replace radiologists due to its limited specificity for categorizing specific findings.
- Association between tumor necrosis factor-α -308 Gauss/A polymorphism and risk of silicosis and coal workers pneumoconiosis in Chinese population. [Journal Article]
- ITInhal Toxicol 2018 Sep 26; :1-5
- CONCLUSIONS: This meta-analysis suggested that TNF-a gene -308 G/A polymorphism is associated with increased silicosis and coal workers pneumoconiosis risk in the Chinese population, and further studies in other ethnic groups are required for definite conclusions.
- 4-1BB Signaling Promotes Alveolar Macrophages-Mediated Pro-Fibrotic Responses and Crystalline Silica-Induced Pulmonary Fibrosis in Mice. [Journal Article]
- FIFront Immunol 2018; 9:1848
- Silicosis is caused by exposure to crystalline silica (CS). We have previously shown that blocking 4-1BB signaling attenuated CS-induced inflammation and pulmonary fibrosis. However, the cells that e...
Silicosis is caused by exposure to crystalline silica (CS). We have previously shown that blocking 4-1BB signaling attenuated CS-induced inflammation and pulmonary fibrosis. However, the cells that express 4-1BB, which plays a vital role in promoting fibrosis, are still unknown. In this study, we demonstrated that the expression of 4-1BB is elevated in alveolar macrophages (AMs) in the lungs of CS-injured mice. CS exposure also markedly enhanced the expression of 4-1BB in macrophage-like, MH-S cells. In these cells, activation of the 4-1BB signaling with an agonist antibody led to upregulated secretion of pro-fibrotic mediators. Consistently, blocking 4-1BB downstream signaling or genetic deletion of 4-1BB alleviated pro-fibrotic responses in vitro, while treatment with a 4-1BB fusion protein promoted pro-fibrotic responses. In vivo experiments showed that blocking 4-1BB signaling decreased the expressions of pro-fibrotic mediators and fibrosis. These data suggest that 4-1BB signaling plays an important role in promoting AMs-mediated pro-fibrotic responses and pulmonary fibrosis. Our findings may provide a potential molecular target to reduce CS-induced fibrotic responses in occupational lung disease.
- [Status and Prospect of Teleradiology for Diagnosing Pneumoconiosis]. [Journal Article]
- ZLZhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 2018 Jul 20; 36(7):558-560
- [The analyze the epidemic trend and predict the incidence trend of occupational diseases in Guangdong province]. [Journal Article]
- ZLZhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 2018 Jul 20; 36(7):508-511
- Objective: This study was aimed to analyze the epidemic trend and predict the incidence trend of occupational diseases during 2006-2015 in Guangdong province, which may provide the theoretical found...
Objective: This study was aimed to analyze the epidemic trend and predict the incidence trend of occupational diseases during 2006-2015 in Guangdong province, which may provide the theoretical foundation for occupational disease risk assessment and precise control and prevention. Methods: We analyzed the number of reported occupational disease cases, the constituent ratio, the average age and working-age of patients. We also performed the linear-by-linear association test of new incidence, median age and median working-age by curve-fitting method, of which the diagnostic year was set as the independent variable. Meanwhile, we designed an ARIMA model to predict the variation tendency of occupational diseases in 2017-2020. Results: (1) During 2006-2015, the total reported cases of occupational disease is 5289, including 2101 cases of occupational pneumoconiosis (39.7%) , 1363 cases of occupational poisoning (25.8%) , and 864 cases of occupational otolaryngological and stomatological disease (16.3%) . (2) The number of occupational diseases and pneumoconiosis have a straight upward trend (R(2)=0.851, R(2)=0.856) , while the number of occupational otolaryngological and stomatological disease and occupational tumor have a exponential trend (R(2)=0.914, R(2)=0.696) . The constituent ratio of occupational poisoning is decreasing, and the constituent ratio of occupational otolaryngological and stomatological disease is increasing. (3) The average onset age is 40 (33, 46) years old, and the average onset working-age is 6 (3, 11) years. Both of them have a straight upward trend (R(2)=0.954、R(2)=0.792) . The onset age of pneumoconiosis, occupational poisoning and occupational otolaryngological and stomatological disease have a upward trend. In addition, the onset working-age of occupational poisoning and pneumoconiosis have a upward trend. (4) The number of occupational diseases in 2017-2020 is predicted to be between 902-1231. Conclusion: Occupational diseases in Guangdong province showed a trend of high incidence. The age and working-age of occupational diseases showed an extended trend. Therefore, our work of occupational epidemic trend may provide some bases for the occupational disease risk assessment and precise control and prevention.
New Search Next
- [Analysis of The Quality of Pneumoconiosis Network Direct Report in Sichuan during 2006-2016]. [Journal Article]
- ZLZhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 2018 Jul 20; 36(7):506-508
- Objective: To evaluate the quality of Pneumoconiosis Network Direct Report in Sichuan Province in 2006-2016. Methods: download all the pneumoconiosis report cards from the Network Direct Report sys...
Objective: To evaluate the quality of Pneumoconiosis Network Direct Report in Sichuan Province in 2006-2016. Methods: download all the pneumoconiosis report cards from the Network Direct Report system. Screen out cards based on the diagnosis time that is between January 1st 2006 and December 31st 2016. Using R 3.4.0 software to analysis the number of missing or repeated cards, time-logical error rates, timeliness, reporting year, reporting intervals to evaluate the quality of Pneumoconiosis Network Direct Report and location distribution. Results: there are 38 855 pieces of Pneumoconiosis report card in total in 2006-2016. 352 pieces of cards were reported twice. 224 cards were missing. 229 cards have time-logical error. The rate of timely reporting for 2006-2016 years was 66.41% (2 5453/38 326) , 67.14% (24 658/36 726) for new cases, 58.87% (783/1 330) for promoting cases and 4.44% (12/270) for deaths. 87.38% (33 490/38 326) patients was reported in the same year. 10 days was needed to finish one report, confirming-filling cost much more time than filling-report (9.865/49.019) . Conclusion: the records of pneumoconiosis report cards are much more complete, logical errors are less, and the timeliness was a little bit higher than the average level in China. But it also should be improved. The death cases are difficult to report. It takes longer to diagnose and fill in cards. Improving the timeliness rate can significantly improve the quality of network direct reporting.