- Anxiety management: Participants' experiences of a physiotherapeutic group treatment in Swedish psychiatric outpatient care. [Journal Article]
- PTPhysiother Theory Pract 2018 Jun 18; :1-15
- Anxiety disorders are among the most persistent mental health syndromes. There is extensive research showing effectiveness of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy interventions targeting anxiety, while ...
Anxiety disorders are among the most persistent mental health syndromes. There is extensive research showing effectiveness of pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy interventions targeting anxiety, while knowledge is still sparse for other treatment options. The aim of this study was to explore how participants with anxiety disorders experience a physiotherapeutic group treatment in psychiatric outpatient care, and their perceived ability to manage anxiety within two months after participating in the treatment. Semi-structured interviews with participants were conducted to explore experiences of the treatment. Data were analyzed using qualitative content analysis, which resulted in one main theme: Reconnecting to the body in the supportive atmosphere of a group. Six categories reflect the main theme: (1) sharing with others supported by the group, (2) grounding oneself in the body, (3) getting to know the body and learning to manage its reactions, (4) learning to tolerate bodily sensations of anxiety, (5) gaining a more compassionate attitude toward oneself, and (6) challenging old patterns to become more active in life. The participants reported that their ability to reconnect to their bodies increased so that anxious sensations became more endurable and acceptable after treatment. The supportive group context was described as valuable, enabling the participants to feel safe enough to start exploring new ways to manage anxiety. In conclusion, this study suggests that a physiotherapeutic group treatment can be a useful add-on treatment to the standard treatment models of anxiety disorders, including psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy, since it targets the embodied, nonverbal domain of anxiety.
- A recombinant herpesviral vector containing a near-full-length SIVmac239 genome produces SIV particles and elicits immune responses to all nine SIV gene products. [Journal Article]
- PPPLoS Pathog 2018 Jun 18; 14(6):e1007143
- The properties of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) pose serious difficulties for the development of an effective prophylactic vaccine. Here we describe the construction and characterization of ...
The properties of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) pose serious difficulties for the development of an effective prophylactic vaccine. Here we describe the construction and characterization of recombinant (r), replication-competent forms of rhesus monkey rhadinovirus (RRV), a gamma-2 herpesvirus, containing a near-full-length (nfl) genome of the simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV). A 306-nucleotide deletion in the pol gene rendered this nfl genome replication-incompetent as a consequence of deletion of the active site of the essential reverse transcriptase enzyme. Three variations were constructed to drive expression of the SIV proteins: one with SIV's own promoter region, one with a cytomegalovirus (cmv) immediate-early promoter/enhancer region, and one with an RRV dual promoter (p26 plus PAN). Following infection of rhesus fibroblasts in culture with these rRRV vectors, synthesis of the early protein Nef and the late structural proteins Gag and Env could be demonstrated. Expression levels of the SIV proteins were highest with the rRRV-SIVcmv-nfl construct. Electron microscopic examination of rhesus fibroblasts infected with rRRV-SIVcmv-nfl revealed numerous budding and mature SIV particles and these infected cells released impressive levels of p27 Gag protein (>150 ng/ml) into the cell-free supernatant. The released SIV particles were shown to be incompetent for replication. Monkeys inoculated with rRRV-SIVcmv-nfl became persistently infected, made readily-detectable antibodies against SIV, and developed T-cell responses against all nine SIV gene products. Thus, rRRV expressing a near-full-length SIV genome mimics live-attenuated strains of SIV in several important respects: the infection is persistent; >95% of the SIV proteome is naturally expressed; SIV particles are formed; and CD8+ T-cell responses are maintained indefinitely in an effector-differentiated state. Although the magnitude of anti-SIV immune responses in monkeys infected with rRRV-SIVcmv-nfl falls short of what is seen with live-attenuated SIV infection, further experimentation seems warranted.
- Changes to Hearing Levels Over the First Year After Stapes Surgery: An Analysis of 139 Patients. [Journal Article]
- ONOtol Neurotol 2018 Jun 15
- CONCLUSIONS: Patients with an initial suboptimal or poor result after stapes surgery may observed improvement in their hearing thresholds in the year after surgery. These patients may have large preoperative air-bone gaps, and have a trend to have obliterated footplates. Revision surgery should not be considered until at least 6 months after primary surgery.
- A Randomized Controlled Trial of Balloon Dilation as a Treatment for Persistent Eustachian Tube Dysfunction With 1-Year Follow-Up. [Journal Article]
- ONOtol Neurotol 2018 Jun 15
- CONCLUSIONS: Balloon dilation is a safe and effective treatment for persistent ETD. Based on improved ETDQ-7 scores, balloon dilation is superior to continued medical management for persistent ETD. Symptom improvement is durable through a minimum of 12 months. Procedures are well tolerated in the office setting under local anesthesia.
- Comparison of Lactase Variant MCM6 -13910 C>T Testing and Self-report of Dairy Sensitivity in Patients With Irritable Bowel Syndrome. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Gastroenterol 2018 Jun 16
- CONCLUSIONS: In IBS patients, self-report of lactose intolerance are highly prevalent but are a poor indicator of underlying C/C-13910 genotype. LHMBT had excellent agreement with C/C-13910 genotype.
- Assessing Quality of Precut Sphincterotomy in Patients With Difficult Biliary Access: An Updated Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Gastroenterol 2018 Jun 16
- CONCLUSIONS: Compared with persistent standard cannulation, an early precut sphincterotomy exhibited a reduced risk of pancreatitis. In addition, a delayed precut sphincterotomy after persistent attempts did not increase the occurrence of pancreatitis and this is the first meta-analysis to present this conclusion.
- Predictors of Persistent Tricuspid Regurgitation After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in Patients With Baseline Tricuspid Regurgitation. [Journal Article]
- IInnovations (Phila) 2018 Jun 15
- CONCLUSIONS: Baseline moderate-severe TR is not uncommon in patients undergoing TAVR, and frequently improves. However, the presence of AF suggests that that TR is likely to persist after TAVR and is also indicative of a poor long-term outcome. Whether redirecting such patients to surgery for concomitant tricuspid valve repair will further improve outcomes requires further study.
- Dentistry as a free market in the context of leading policymaking. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Qual Stud Health Well-being 2018; 13(1):1484218
- The purpose of this study was to disclose the psychological meaning structure of dentistry as a free market within the context of leading Swedish policymaking. Following the criteria for the descript...
The purpose of this study was to disclose the psychological meaning structure of dentistry as a free market within the context of leading Swedish policymaking. Following the criteria for the descriptive phenomenological psychological method data was collected from leading policy makers about the experiential aspects of dentistry as a free market within the context of a welfare state. The analysis showed that dentistry as a free market was experienced as a complex business relationship between buyers and sellers that transcended the traditional dentist and patient roles. The lived experience of the proposed business transaction was based on two inherently conflicting views: the belief in the individual's ability to make a free choice versus the understanding that all individuals in a society do not have the ability or the means necessary to make a free choice. Dentistry as a free market within a welfare state, such as Sweden, can thus be seen as a persistent attempt to hold on to a compromise between two very distinctive political ideologies.
- Comparing immunoglobulin A vasculitis (Henoch-Schönlein purpura) in children and adults: a single-centre study from Turkey. [Journal Article]
- SJScand J Rheumatol 2018 Jun 18; :1-6
- CONCLUSIONS: Various clinical and laboratory characteristics differ between children and adults with IgAV/HSP. Overall, IgAV/HSP has a self-limiting course in children but represents a more severe form of disease in adults, with more severe renal involvement. Persistent haematuria is a predictive factor for relapse.
New Search Next
- Leukocyte telomere length in HIV infection: A marker of persistent immune aging or transient immune reconstitution? [Journal Article]
- JIJ Infect Dis 2018 Jun 15