- [：Q]. [Journal Article]Hu Li Za Zhi 2019; 66(6):33-42HL
- CONCLUSIONS: NPs face discrepancies in their role expectations, in important part due to their role as providers of medical assistance in clinical practical settings. NPs need to learn and demonstrate the roles and functions of advanced nursing practice to enhance nursing professionalism profoundly.
- Robust Exponential Decreasing Index (REDI): adaptive and robust method for computing cumulated workload. [Journal Article]BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med 2019; 5(1):e000573BO
- CONCLUSIONS: The robust and adaptable nature of the REDI is a credible alternative for computing a cumulative workload with decreasing weight over time.
- Flash Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Implications for Use of Continuous Data in Daily Diabetes Management. [Journal Article]Diabetes Spectr 2019; 32(4):355-367DS
- Full realization of the benefits of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) depends on addressing barriers such as cost, accuracy, burdens of daily use, and uncertainty about applying the data. Lack of systematic education has also hampered widespread adoption among patients and health care professionals. This article describes the practical application of an affordable and intuitive category of CGM …
Full realization of the benefits of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) depends on addressing barriers such as cost, accuracy, burdens of daily use, and uncertainty about applying the data. Lack of systematic education has also hampered widespread adoption among patients and health care professionals. This article describes the practical application of an affordable and intuitive category of CGM called "flash" that requires users to scan the sensor with a handheld reader for on-demand access to continuous data. The data may be used for in-the-moment therapy adjustment, retrospective review of glucose patterns, and observation of glucose trending in response to behavior. Higher rates of flash CGM scanning have been associated with increased time in the glycemic target range and reduced time in hyper- and hypoglycemia. Growing interest in this technology suggests new opportunities for helping more patients incorporate CGM into their daily self-care.
- Practical approach to respiratory emergencies in neurological diseases. [Review]Neurol Sci 2019NS
- Many neurological diseases may cause acute respiratory failure (ARF) due to involvement of bulbar respiratory center, spinal cord, motoneurons, peripheral nerves, neuromuscular junction, or skeletal muscles. In this context, respiratory emergencies are often a challenge at home, in a neurology ward, or even in an intensive care unit, influencing morbidity and mortality. More commonly, patients de…
Many neurological diseases may cause acute respiratory failure (ARF) due to involvement of bulbar respiratory center, spinal cord, motoneurons, peripheral nerves, neuromuscular junction, or skeletal muscles. In this context, respiratory emergencies are often a challenge at home, in a neurology ward, or even in an intensive care unit, influencing morbidity and mortality. More commonly, patients develop primarily ventilatory impairment causing hypercapnia. Moreover, inadequate bulbar and expiratory muscle function may cause retained secretions, frequently complicated by pneumonia, atelectasis, and, ultimately, hypoxemic ARF. On the basis of the clinical onset, two main categories of ARF can be identified: (i) acute exacerbation of chronic respiratory failure, which is common in slowly progressive neurological diseases, such as movement disorders and most neuromuscular diseases, and (ii) sudden-onset respiratory failure which may develop in rapidly progressive neurological disorders including stroke, convulsive status epilepticus, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, phrenic neuropathy, myasthenia gravis, and Guillain-Barré syndrome. A tailored assistance may include manual and mechanical cough assistance, noninvasive ventilation, endotracheal intubation, invasive mechanical ventilation, or tracheotomy. This review provides practical recommendations for prevention, recognition, management, and treatment of respiratory emergencies in neurological diseases, mostly in teenagers and adults, according to type and severity of baseline disease.
- Identifying Essential Components of School-Linked Mental Health Services for Refugee and Immigrant Children: A Comparative Case Study. [Journal Article]J Sch Health 2019JS
- CONCLUSIONS: Specific strategies to implement the 4 essential components include home visits by program staff, a one-stop parent center located in the school to help with basic needs, working with cultural brokers, and informed consent procedures that clearly explain recommended care without requiring immigrant and refugee parents to internalize western conceptualizations of psychopathology. Future evaluations should assess the cost and effectiveness of these strategies. These data are essential to advocate payment for these nonclinical services by traditional funding mechanisms.
- Forms, interactions, and responses to social support: A qualitative study of support and adherence to photoprotection amongst patients with Xeroderma Pigmentosum. [Journal Article]Br J Health Psychol 2019BJ
- CONCLUSIONS: Practical support conveyed psychosocial support with positive effects on adherence. This suggests the traditional separation into practical and emotional support is overly simplistic, with measures potentially missing important aspects. Interactional processes contribute to the effects of support, which can be addressed by targeting disclosure, stigma, and other barriers at individual and organizational levels. Statement of contribution What is already known on this subject? Social support can be both a facilitator and a hindrance to treatment adherence. Practical support is identified as the most important form of support in the context of adherence. The processes of support underpinning its relationship to adherence are unclear. What does this study add? Variations in the provision and impacts of support are influenced by participants' disclosure and attitudes to photoprotection, with two key groups comprising 'positive responders' and 'negative responders'. The influence of emotional support on adherence may be underestimated through neglect of the ways in which practical support often conveys feelings of being valued and cared-for. Barriers to mobilizing effective adherence support extends across life spheres, with fears of stigma and discrimination in work settings highlighting the need to intervene at individual and organizational levels.
- Conceptual model for intensive care nurse work well-being: A qualitative secondary analysis. [Journal Article]Nurs Crit Care 2019NC
- CONCLUSIONS: The proposed conceptual model contributes new knowledge to be explored in meaningful discussions about intensive care nurse work well-being and empirically investigated in terms of construct validity and theory development. Furthermore, the model provides practical opportunities to explore individual and collaborative ways to enhance intensive care nurse work well-being across a range of levels.Opportunities for job crafting and redesign were identified and presented in a conceptual model of intensive care nurse work well-being. This model provides individual nurses, intensive care teams, health care organizations, and workers' well-being programme and policy developers practical opportunities to explore individual and collaborative ways to enhance intensive care nurse work well-being.
- Clinical Outcomes of a Treat and Extend Regimen with Intravitreal Aflibercept Injections in Patients with Diabetic Macular Edema: Experience in Clinical Practice. [Journal Article]Ophthalmol Ther 2019OT
- CONCLUSIONS: For the majority of patients presenting with DME, a T&E regimen of aflibercept in the first 2 years of therapy is a practical alternative to PRN treatment with regular review.
- The DREAM Initiative: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial testing an integrated electronic health record and community health worker intervention to promote weight loss among South Asian patients at risk for diabetes. [Journal Article]Trials 2019; 20(1):635T
- CONCLUSIONS: This study will be the first to test the efficacy of an integrated EHR-CHW intervention within an underserved, minority population and in a practical setting via a network of small PCPs in NYC. The study's implementation is enhanced through cross-sector partnerships, including the local health department, a healthcare payer, and EHR vendors. Through use of a software platform, the study will also systematically track and monitor CHW referrals to social service organizations. Study findings, including those resulting from cost-effectiveness analyses, will have important implications for translating similar strategies to other minority communities in sustainable ways.
New Search Next
- Mediators affecting the association between a lifestyle behavior intervention and stress in low-income overweight or obese mothers of young children. [Journal Article]J Health Psychol 2019; :1359105319887780JH
- Using data from a community-based lifestyle behavioral intervention study, this secondary data analysis investigated whether emotional coping, coping self-efficacy, and autonomous motivation mediated the association between the intervention and perceived stress in low-income overweight or obese mothers of young children. Results showed that coping self-efficacy significantly mediated the associat…
Using data from a community-based lifestyle behavioral intervention study, this secondary data analysis investigated whether emotional coping, coping self-efficacy, and autonomous motivation mediated the association between the intervention and perceived stress in low-income overweight or obese mothers of young children. Results showed that coping self-efficacy significantly mediated the association between the intervention and perceived stress. However, emotional coping and autonomous motivation did not significantly mediate the association between intervention and perceived stress. Interventions may be more effective in helping the target audience reduce stress if they incorporate practical skills that can increase a sense of coping self-efficacy.