- Kidney Response to Heart Failure: Proteomic Analysis of Cardiorenal Syndrome. [Journal Article]
- KBKidney Blood Press Res 2018 Sep 20; 43(5):1437-1450
- CONCLUSIONS: Chronic HF leads to latent kidney injury, associated with deep changes in kidney protein composition. These alterations may act in concert with intrarenal renin-angiotensin system activation and may serve as markers and/or targets to tackle cardiorenal syndrome.
- Cardiac sarcoidosis and ventricular arrhythmias. A rare association of a rare disease. A retrospective cohort study from the National Inpatient Sample and current evidence for management. [Journal Article]
- CJCardiol J 2018 Sep 20
- CONCLUSIONS: The present study showed that sarcoidosis was associated with increased rates of ventricular tachyarrhythmia, which can affect the overall disease morbidity and mortality.
- [Challenges and results of the PIRP project (Prevenzione della Insufficienza Renale Progressiva) of the Emilia-Romagna Region]. [Journal Article]
- GIG Ital Nefrol 2018; 35(5)
- The PIRP project was conceived in 2004; with the aim to face the increased prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) associated with the aging and increased survival of the population. The first pha...
The PIRP project was conceived in 2004; with the aim to face the increased prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) associated with the aging and increased survival of the population. The first phase of the project consisted of training primary care physicians to identify people at risk of CKD and to implement intervention strategies that proved to be effective in preventing CKD it or delaying its progression once it is established. In the second phase of the project, dedicated ambulatories were opened in the nephrology units of Emilia-Romagna hospitals to provide an in-depth assessment and personalized care to CKD patients, following them up until renal failure or death or referring them back to general practitioners, according to the study protocol. A web-based registry was implemented to collect demographic and clinical data on PIRP patients. As of 30 June 2018, the registry included 26.211 CKD patients, with a median follow-up of 24.5 months. Over the 14 years of the PIRP the mean age of incident patients increased from 71.0 years to 74.2 years and the mean eGFR increased from 30.56 to 36.52 mL/min/1.73 m ², proving that the project was successful in recruiting older patients with a better renal function. At 5 years, the percentage of patients still active in the project was =45%.The implementation of the project has seen a reduction in the number of patients arriving every year to the dialysis treatment in E-R (about 100 units less from 2006 to 2016). The PIRP cohort is the largest in Italy and in Europe, which makes it ideal for research based on international comparisons and as a model for national registries.
- [Nutritional diet therapy in the management of the patient with Chronic Kidney Disease in advanced phase to delay the beginning and reduce the frequency of dialysis. An option also in the pre-emptive transplant program]. [Journal Article]
- GIG Ital Nefrol 2018; 35(5)
- The Italian nephrology has a long tradition and experience in the field of dietetic-nutritional therapy (DNT), which is an important component in the conservative management of the patient suffering ...
The Italian nephrology has a long tradition and experience in the field of dietetic-nutritional therapy (DNT), which is an important component in the conservative management of the patient suffering from a chronic kidney disease, which precedes and integrates the pharmacological therapies. The objectives of DNT include the maintenance of an optimal nutritional status, the prevention and / or correction of signs, symptoms and complications of chronic renal failure and, possibly, the delay in starting of dialysis. The DNT includes modulation of protein intake, adequacy of caloric intake, control of sodium and potassium intake, and reduction of phosphorus intake. For all dietary-nutritional therapies, and in particular those aimed at the patient with chronic renal failure, the problem of patient adherence to the dietetic-nutritional scheme is a key element for the success and safety of the DNT and it can be favored by an interdisciplinary and multi-professional approach of information, education, dietary prescription and follow-up. This consensus document, which defines twenty (20) essential points of the nutritional approach to patients with advanced chronic renal failure, has been written, discussed and shared by the Italian nephrologists together with representatives of dietitians (ANDID) and patients (ANED).
- N6-(2-Hydroxyethyl) Adenosine From Cordyceps cicadae Ameliorates Renal Interstitial Fibrosis and Prevents Inflammation via TGF-β1/Smad and NF-κB Signaling Pathway. [Journal Article]
- FPFront Physiol 2018; 9:1229
- Renal interstitial fibrosis is characterized by inflammation and an excessive accumulation of extracellular matrix, which leads to end-stage renal failure. Our previous studies have shown that a natu...
Renal interstitial fibrosis is characterized by inflammation and an excessive accumulation of extracellular matrix, which leads to end-stage renal failure. Our previous studies have shown that a natural product from Cordyceps cicadae can ameliorate chronic kidney diseases. N6-(2-Hydroxyethyl) adenosine (HEA), a physiologically active compound in C. cicadae, has been identified as a Ca2+ antagonist and an anti-inflammatory agent in pharmacological tests. However, its role in renal interstitial fibrosis and the underlying mechanism remains unclear. Here, unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) was used to induce renal interstitial fibrosis in male C57BL/6 mice. Different doses of HEA (2.5, 5, and 7.5 mg/kg) were given by intraperitoneal injection 24 h before UUO, and the treatment was continued for 14 days post-operatively. Histologic changes were examined by hematoxylin & eosin, Masson's trichrome, and picrosirius red stain. Quantitative real-time PCR analysis, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays, immunohistochemistry, and western blot analysis were used to evaluate proteins levels. And the results showed that HEA significantly decreased UUO-induced renal tubular injury and fibrosis. In vivo, HEA apparently decreased UUO-induced inflammation and renal fibroblast activation by suppression of the NF-κB and TGF-β1/Smad signaling pathway. In vitro, HEA also obviously decreased lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory cytokine level in RAW 264.7 cells and TGF-β1-induced fibroblast activation in NRK-49F cells by modulating NF-κB and TGF-β1/Smad signaling. In general, our findings indicate that HEA has a beneficial effect on UUO-induced tubulointerstitial fibrosis by suppression of inflammatory and renal fibroblast activation, which may be a potential therapy in chronic conditions such as renal interstitial fibrosis.
- Pituitary dysfunction in survivors of Russell's viper snake bite envenomation: A prospective study. [Journal Article]
- NINeurol India 2018 Sep-Oct; 66(5):1351-1358
- CONCLUSIONS: Acute asymptomatic and chronic symptomatic or asymptomatic hypopituitarism are important sequelae of viper bite in a small proportion of patients and can occur in the presence of normal pituitary imaging. Routine prospective pituitary hormone screening should be done in all patients within the first 6 months of envenomation by the vasculotoxic snakebite as chronic pituitary dysfunction can often occur in these patients.
- Hybrid-stenting with metallic and bioresorbable drug-eluting stents 2-year clinical outcomes in KUM ABSORB registry. [Journal Article]
- CCCatheter Cardiovasc Interv 2018 Sep 19
- CONCLUSIONS: Despite differences in clinical and angiographic profile, Hybrid-stenting performed similar to BVS alone at 2 years after percutaneous coronary intervention.
- Unusual case of levamisole-induced dual-positive ANCA vasculitis and crescentic glomerulonephritis. [Journal Article]
- BCBMJ Case Rep 2018 Sep 19; 2018
- Cocaine adulterated levamisole is an increasingly reported cause of skin necrosis, arthralgia and systemic vasculitis, but renal involvement is uncommon. We present a case of a 40-year-old Hispanic m...
Cocaine adulterated levamisole is an increasingly reported cause of skin necrosis, arthralgia and systemic vasculitis, but renal involvement is uncommon. We present a case of a 40-year-old Hispanic man with a history of cocaine abuse who presented with acute kidney injury to the rheumatology clinic where he was being treated for chronic inflammatory arthritis. He was found to have a serum creatinine of 2.5 mg/dL, microscopic haematuria and subnephrotic proteinuria, along with positive proteinase 3, myeloperoxidase, anticardiolipin antibodies and an elevated antinuclear antibody titre. The renal pathology revealed focal necrotising glomerulonephritis with crescentic features and mild immune type deposition. The patient was treated with cocaine abstinence, pulse dose steroids followed by maintenance prednisone, rituximab and cyclophosphamide. His renal function subsequently improved but did not normalise. We believe that his incomplete improvement was due to the degree of kidney injury on presentation as well as recidivism with cocaine use.
- End-stage kidney disease in Fiji. [Journal Article]
- IMIntern Med J 2018 Sep 19
- CONCLUSIONS: The incidence of ESKD in Fiji is high. This is a substantial public health problem that is likely impacting life expectancy and quality of life. Improving screening, detection and management of kidney disease should be given more prominence in programs to address non-communicable diseases in Fiji and the Western Pacific. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
New Search Next
- Reply (to LTE HEP-18-1618). [Letter]
- HepHepatology 2018 Sep 19
- We would like to thank the reader for going through our study and providing valuable critique. We do agree that noradrenaline is a potent drug in hepatorenal syndrome-acute kidney injury (HRS-AKI) in...
We would like to thank the reader for going through our study and providing valuable critique. We do agree that noradrenaline is a potent drug in hepatorenal syndrome-acute kidney injury (HRS-AKI) in patients with decompensated cirrhosis and is comparable to terlipressin. Acute on chronic liver failure (ACLF) is a sicker cohort of patients, with a different underlying pathophysiology of acute kidney injury and higher incidence and greater progression to HRS-AKI. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.