- P-FN12, an H4R-Based Epitope Vaccine Screened by Phage Display, Regulates the Th1/Th2 Balance in Rat Allergic Rhinitis. [Journal Article]
- MTMol Ther Methods Clin Dev 2018 Dec 14; 11:83-91
- Allergic rhinitis (AR) involves antigen-specific immune-inflammation of the nasal mucosa. Classical therapy for AR targets the histamine pathway, e.g., histamine receptor blockers. Histamine H4 recep...
Allergic rhinitis (AR) involves antigen-specific immune-inflammation of the nasal mucosa. Classical therapy for AR targets the histamine pathway, e.g., histamine receptor blockers. Histamine H4 receptor (H4R) was suggested as a novel therapeutic target due to its wide expression on almost all immune-related cells. A 12-mer random peptide library was used to select the specific epitope of the H4R. The phage clone showing the highest degree of activation was verified and translated to the corresponding peptide. The peptide FNKWMDCLSVTH, designated as P-FN12, was bound by H4R monoclonal antibody (mcAb) with high affinity. Moreover, the P-FN12 + CTB@Lipo-formulated vaccine, used as nasal drops, decreased allergic symptoms such as sneezing and nasal rubbing in a rat model. The level of ovalbumin (OVA)-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) decreased significantly after vaccine administration. It also elicited increased levels of interferon (IFN)-γ and interleukin-2 (IL-2) but a decreased level of IL-4, and it elevated the T helper type 1 (Th1):T helper type 2 (Th2) cell ratio in peripheral blood mononuclear cell cultures. Our results indicated that the reduction of allergic inflammation by P-FN12-based vaccine was related to a decrease in production of OVA-specific IgE, Th2 immunity, and tissue eosinophilia. P-FN12 + CTB@Lipo is a promising vaccine that could suppress Th2 response and enhance the induction of Th1 cells in an AR model.
- [Innovative technology full volume lavage of the nasal cavity in the treatment of allergic and vasomotor rhinitis]. [Journal Article]
- VOVestn Otorinolaringol 2018; 83(5):59-64
- Viewed 60 men and women (mean age 26.2±2.4 years) with rhinitis, including: 30 people (18 women and 12 men) 20-45 years with verified diagnoses of persistent allergic rhinitis and 30 patients (16 mal...
Viewed 60 men and women (mean age 26.2±2.4 years) with rhinitis, including: 30 people (18 women and 12 men) 20-45 years with verified diagnoses of persistent allergic rhinitis and 30 patients (16 males and 14 females) 18-35 years (mean age 22.5±1.7 years) - neurovegetative form of chronic vasomotor rhinitis in the phase of exacerbation, receiving basic therapy with antihistamines of the II generation, stabilizers of membranes of mast cells and decongestants, divided by random sampling into 4 groups: 1A (20 patients with allergic rhinitis) and 2A (20 patients with vasomotor rhinitis) were received within 30 days in addition to the basic therapy of the nasal cavity washing procedure with the device Dolphin; in the groups 1B (10 patients with allergic rhinitis) and 2B (10 patients with vasomotor rhinitis) only basic treatment was carried out. By the end of the treatment course, the severity of the symptom 'difficulty in nasal breathing' in patients in groups 1A and 2A, decreased 2.6 times and met the criterion of 'minor violation', while in groups 1B-decreased only 1.3 times, and in 2B-changes were not significant and corresponded to 'moderate violation'. Manifestations of rhinorrhea after therapy decreased in the group of 1A 2.0 times, and in the group of 2A 1.7 times, which was regarded as' a slight manifestation of the symptom', whereas in the groups of 1B and 2B only a tendency to improve was revealed. At the end of the follow - up period, the severity of the symptom 'sneezing' decreased in patients in group 1A by 4.0 times, in group 2A-3.3 times and corresponded to 'no disturbance', while in groups 1B and 2B changes were less than 3.0 and 2.7 times respectively. At the end of the treatment course in patients in groups 1A sense of smell was restored in the group 2A -the degree of severity of olfaction decreased 3.0 times, while in the group of 1B-only 1.2 times, and in the group of 2B-has not changed. According to the visual analog scale (VAS), on the background of treatment optimized by nasal lavage with the device Dolphin complex, the greatest decrease in the degree of violations of household activity was revealed in patients with allergic rhinitis - 2.9 times. After treatment, the effect of rhinitis symptoms on sleep disturbance decreased in groups 1A and 2A 1.9 times, while in groups 1B and 2B - only 1.3 times. The use of nasal lavage with device Dolphin complex in the treatment of allergic and vasomotor rhinitis contributed to a decrease in the frequency of use of intranasal vasoconstrictive drugs by the 10th day of observation by 1.8 and 1.6 times, respectively, and by the 15th day-by 2.3 and 2.4 times, respectively. In the groups of standard treatment (1B and 2B) revealed a significant reduction in the frequency of decongestants was observed only after 15 days of treatment. Thus, the inclusion of a full volumetric nasal lavage with the device Dolphin complex in the treatment of patients with persistent allergic and neurovegetative form of chronic vasomotor rhinitis contributes to the reduction of clinical simtomatics, reduces the severity of violations of everyday life and the frequency of decongestants, improves night sleep of patients.
- Seromucinous hamartoma of inferior turbinate: A case report. [Journal Article]
- MMedicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97(45):e13022
- CONCLUSIONS: Seromucinous hamartoma of the nasal cavity is extremely rare, especially in anterior portion of nasal cavity. It is important to distinguish seromucinous hamartoma from adenocarcinoma and to maintain regular long-term follow-up.
- [Differentiation of naive T cells into Th2 cells induced by nuocyte cells in mice with allergic rhinitis]. [Journal Article]
- LCLin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2018; 32(20):1575-1579
- Objective: The aim of this study is to examine whether nuocytes induced differentiation of primary T cells into Th2 cells in AR mice in vitro. Method:A murine model of AR on the background of BALB/c ...
Objective: The aim of this study is to examine whether nuocytes induced differentiation of primary T cells into Th2 cells in AR mice in vitro. Method:A murine model of AR on the background of BALB/c was established using ovalbumin, and nuocytes were sorted and purified from the mouse nasal associated lymphoid tissue (NALT) and cultured in vitro. Then, we assessed the expression of IL-4 in these cells. Mouse peripheral blood mononuclear cells were isolated and Th2 cells and T cells were isolated for in vitro culture, and the percentage of T cells in Th2 cells was detected. Then, NALT-derived nuocyte cells cultured in vitro were added to the above-mentioned mouse T cell culture medium for co-culture. Result:Numbers of sneezing, nasal rubbing and eosinophils in nasal lavage fluid were all enhanced in AR mice compared to normal ones. We used flow cytometry analysis to identify nuocytes from mice NALT as CD3CD4CD8CD19CD11bCD11cFcεR1 (lineage)-ICOS+, and also found that the cells expressed IL-4, and its protein and mRNA were all increased in AR mice versus normal mice. After nuocytes were co-cultured with T-cell cultures, we determined the percentage of Th2 cells in total T cells, and found that the percentage was increased significantly. Conclusion: nuocyte cells may induce the differentiation of primary T cells into Th2 cells in AR mice through IL-4 pathway.
- Secretome from bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells: A promising, cell-free therapy for allergic rhinitis. [Journal Article]
- MHMed Hypotheses 2018; 121:124-126
- Allergic rhinitis (AR), characterized by the symptoms of sneezing, rhinorrhea, itchiness and nasal blockage, is a type I allergic disease of nasal mucosa, which is mainly mediated by IgE after exposu...
Allergic rhinitis (AR), characterized by the symptoms of sneezing, rhinorrhea, itchiness and nasal blockage, is a type I allergic disease of nasal mucosa, which is mainly mediated by IgE after exposure to allergens. At present, general drug therapy is limited to alleviating allergic symptoms but fails to regulate the allergic reaction; the recurrence of symptoms and the side effects of the drugs make many patients with AR resist treatments and bring serious impacts on the quality of life. Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) are a population of adult stem cells with multipotential differentiation capability, low immunogenicity, and immunoregulatory effects. The unique immunoregulatory properties of BMSCs make them hold great promise in the treatment of chronic inflammation and immune disorders through a paracrine mechanism of anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects. The stem cell secretome is defined as the set of molecules secreted to the extracellular space. The secretome such as conditioned media (CM) obtained from BMSCs contains various bioactive molecules and vesicular elements, which may act as therapeutic mediators to support their immunoregulatory effects. Therefore, we hypothesize that the BMSCs secretome may represent a promising treatment for AR by anti-allergic effects via the paracrine mechanism.
- First reported case in Canada of anaphylaxis to lupine in a child with peanut allergy. [Journal Article]
- AAAllergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2018; 14:64
- CONCLUSIONS: This is the first reported case of allergic reaction to lupine in Canada, and highlights the need for education of Canadian families with peanut allergy as well as allergists, regarding the possibility of cross-reactivity between peanut and lupine and its new presence in the Canadian food supply. In addition, a precautionary label for those with peanut allergy who purchase products containing lupine should be considered. This case illustrates also the need for a clear mechanism for consumers and allergists to report emerging food allergens to regulatory bodies such as Health Canada.
- Tuberculosis knowledge, misconceptions/myths in adults: findings from Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Zambia Demographic Health Surveys (2013-2016). [Journal Article]
- BRBMC Res Notes 2018 Oct 31; 11(1):778
- To determine TB knowledge and misconceptions/myths amongst HIV positive and negative adults using Demographic Health Survey data from Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Zambia.
To determine TB knowledge and misconceptions/myths amongst HIV positive and negative adults using Demographic Health Survey data from Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Zambia.
- 'For the poor, sleep is leisure': understanding perceptions, barriers and motivators to mosquito net care and repair in southern Tanzania. [Journal Article]
- MJMalar J 2018 Oct 22; 17(1):375
- CONCLUSIONS: In Ruangwa, net care was defined as overall net maintenance, such as cleanliness, and not directly associated with the prevention of damage as reported in other studies. Net repair was reported as a temporary measure before the acquisition of a new net, hence not a priority in a busy household. Inconsistencies were observed between reported intentions to repair mosquito nets and current net condition. Targeted education through health facilities and community change agents are potential means to overcome barriers to net care and repair.
- Immunomodulatory effect of Bifidobacterium breve on experimental allergic rhinitis in BALB/c mice. [Journal Article]
- ETExp Ther Med 2018; 16(5):3996-4004
- Bifidobacterium breve (B. breve) may have a beneficial effect on allergic rhinitis (AR). The aim of the present study was to investigate whether microbial induction of regulatory T cells (Tregs) and ...
Bifidobacterium breve (B. breve) may have a beneficial effect on allergic rhinitis (AR). The aim of the present study was to investigate whether microbial induction of regulatory T cells (Tregs) and adjustment of Th1 and Th2 responses by B. breve are associated with protection against allergic inflammation, and to identify a dose-response association in a murine AR model. Ovalbumin (OVA)-sensitized BALB/c mice were orally treated with different doses of B. breve [1010, 109, 107 and 105 colony forming units (CFU)]. Following nasal challenge with OVA, sneeze frequency, serum OVA-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) and cytokine concentrations [interleukin (IL)-4, IL-10, IL-13 and interferon-γ], splenic percentage of cluster of differentiation (CD)4+CD25+ Tregs, and morphology of the nasal mucosa were examined. Oral treatment with live B. breve at doses of 107 CFU or higher alleviated nasal mucosal injury and suppressed sneezing upon repeated administration over a 6-week period. Furthermore, treatment with B. breve at these higher doses reduced the concentrations of serum OVA-specific IgE, IL-4 and IL-10, and increased the splenic percentage of CD4+CD25+ Tregs in rhinitic mice compared with those who did not receive probiotics. In contrast, treatment with B. breve at a lower dose did not indicate any effect on sneezing frequency or mucosal morphology in this animal model, even though the splenic percentage of CD4+CD25+ Tregs increased and the concentrations of serum OVA-specific IgE and IL-10 declined. B. breve exerts its anti-allergic effects by inhibiting type 2 helper T cell immune responses and enhancing CD4+CD25+ Treg activity. Sneezing was also reduced at a dose of 107 CFU or higher. The current study investigated the role of B. breve and aided in identifying the optimal dose of B. breve administration in the treatment of AR.
New Search Next
- Comparative Analysis of Bone Marrow-derived Mast Cell Differentiation in C57BL/6 and BALB/c Mice. [Journal Article]
- IIImmunol Invest 2018 Oct 18; :1-18
- Allergic diseases have increased in the last three decades. Mast cells play a critical role in allergic diseases along with allergen-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE). Following mast cell degranulation...
Allergic diseases have increased in the last three decades. Mast cells play a critical role in allergic diseases along with allergen-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE). Following mast cell degranulation elicited by ligation of the IgE-FcεRI receptor complex with allergen, allergic reactions are followed by various symptoms such as vascular hyperpermeability, mucous secretion, itching, sneezing, wheezing, rashes, fever, and anaphylactic shock. Susceptibility or inclination to allergy varies depending on individual genetic traits and living environment, and it has long been believed that such an inclination is determined by an immunologic balance of T helper cell types. Mouse strains also have different susceptibilities to allergy. Similar to T helper cells and macrophages, it is not known whether mast cells can also be divided into two different types between mouse strains. In this study, we prepared bone marrow-derived mast cells from BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice and examined their cellular properties. Cellular response to IL-3 and the process of mast cell differentiation from bone marrow cells were different on the basis of cell surface marker molecules. BALB/c-derived cells more efficiently exhibited degranulation than did C57BL/6-derived cells following both calcium ionophore and receptor crosslinking. These functional differences persisted even after a longer cell culture for 8 weeks, suggesting a difference in cell-autonomous characteristics. These results support the concept that mast cells also have different cell types dependent on their genetic background. Abbreviations: Ab: antibody; BMMC: bone marrow-derived mast cell; DNP: dinitrophenyl; FACS: fluorescence-activated cell sorter; FCS: fetal calf serum; FITC: fluorescein isothiocyanate; FSC: forward scatter; HRP: horseradish peroxidase; HSA: human serum albumin; Ig: immunoglobulin; IL: interleukin; MIP-2: macrophage inflammatory protein-2; MCP: mast cell protease; PE: phycoerythrin; PerCP: Peridinin chlorophyll protein complex; SNP: single nucleotide polymorphisms; SSC: side scatter; Th: T helper; TNF-α: tumor necrosis factor alpha.