- [Effects of highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma on vasoactive intestinal peptide in nasal mucosal cells of patients with allergic rhinitis]. [Journal Article]
- LCLin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2018; 32(3):167-170
- Objective: The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma on the level of vasoactive intestinal peptide in nasal...
Objective: The aim of this study is to investigate the effect of highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma on the level of vasoactive intestinal peptide in nasal mucosa of patients with allergic rhinitis. Method:Fifty patients with allergic rhinitis were selected as the experimental group. At the same time, 50 normal adults in our hospital were selected as the control group. Highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma was performed to observe the changes of vascular intestinal peptide levels in patients with nasal mucosa and the clinical efficacy. Result:Fifty patients with allergic rhinitis were treated with highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma. 28 cases have significant effect and the curative effect was 64.3%-92.1% (average was 77.4±4.5)%; 19 were effective and the therapeutic effect was 31.2%-56.4%, with an average of (43.2±2.9)%; only 3 cases were ineffective, and the therapeutic effect was less than 30%. There was significant difference between the two groups after treatment (P<0.05). The optical density of vasoactive intestinal peptide was (1 723.3±215.4) and (2 732.3±324.5) in the preoperative and postoperative groups, respectively, with significant differences (P<0.05). The optical density of vasoactive intestinal peptide in the control group was (1 855.4±429.3), which was significantly different from that in the experimental group before operation (P<0.05). The difference between the control group and the experimental group after operation have no statistically significant (P>0.05). Conclusion: Highly selective branches neurotomy of vidian nerve with low temperature plasma can significantly reduce the level of vasoactive intestinal peptide in nasal mucosa of patients with allergic rhinitis, alleviate the symptoms of nasal congestion and paroxysmal sneezing, and improve the prognosis of patients.
- [Safety and efficacy of omalizumab for the treatment of allergic rhinitis:Meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials]. [Journal Article]
- LCLin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2016 May 05; 30(9):694-698
- Objective: To assess the efficacy and safety of omalizumab in patients with allergic rhinitis(AR) in a meta-analysis of clinical trial results, and provide evidence for the clinical treatment of AR.M...
Objective: To assess the efficacy and safety of omalizumab in patients with allergic rhinitis(AR) in a meta-analysis of clinical trial results, and provide evidence for the clinical treatment of AR.Method:Pubmed, Medline, Cochrane and Embase were searched through August 2014 using the terms 'allergic rhinitis, omalizumab, efficacy, safety, and randomized controlled trial(RCT)'without language restriction. Relevant reviews, publications, and abstracts of meetings were also retrieved. RevMan5.3 software was used for meta-analysis after data extraction. Result: Nine RCTs were included(n =1764).Of the 1764 participants,859 patients were treated by omalizumab and the other 905 received a placebo.The meta-analysis revealed that patients treated with omalizumab had significantly reduced total and individual symptoms scorescompared with the placebo group(P <0.05). And there was no significantly differences in adverse events between placebo and omalizumab(P <0.05).The WMD rate and 95%CI were as follows：total nasal symptom scores(0.04, - 0.10 to 0.19), rhinorrhea(-0.32, -0.44 to -0.21), nasal stuffiness(-0.33,-0.38 to -0.27), nasal itching (-0.08,-0.25 to 0.09), and sneezing(-0.24, -0.27 to -0.21), and non-nasal symptoms scores(0.30,0.04 to 0.55).Conclusion: Compared to the placebo,omalizumab can effectively and safely reduce symptoms scores of patients with AR.
- [Analysis of clinical characteristics of 141 patients with postviral olfactory dysfunction]. [Journal Article]
- LCLin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2017 May 20; 31(10):749-752
- Objective: The aim of this study is to investigate the clinical features of the patients with postviral olfactory dysfunction (PVOD). Method:Clinical information of 141 consecutive outpatients with P...
Objective: The aim of this study is to investigate the clinical features of the patients with postviral olfactory dysfunction (PVOD). Method:Clinical information of 141 consecutive outpatients with PVOD were collected and analyzed based on a questionnaire, including age, gender, months of onset, and symptoms. Sniffin'Sticks Test was used as a psychophysical olfactory test to evaluate olfactory function. Result:Retrospective analysis of 141 patients with PVOD, the male to female ratio of patients was 1.0:2.3. The severity of olfactory dysfunction was found no significant difference between the man and the women (χ2=0.05,P>0.05). Patients aged from 30 to 40 years old and 50 to 60 years of age were vulnerable to PVOD. The most common nasal symptoms at the times of upper respiratory infection (URI) were nasal obstruction, rhinorrhea and sneezing, together with other symptoms, such as sore throat, sputum and cough. Conclusion: Analysis of clinical characteristics in a large sample shows that gender, age may be related to PVOD. However, our understanding of this complex disease is still limited and much more studies are necessary.
- Sneezing and Perilymphatic Fistula of the Round Window: Case Report and Systematic Review of the Literature. [Journal Article]
- JIJ Int Adv Otol 2018; 14(1):106-111
- The goal of the present study was to describe a case of perilymphatic fistula (PLF) of the round window (RW) that occurred after sneezing, along with a review of the literature. We report a case of P...
The goal of the present study was to describe a case of perilymphatic fistula (PLF) of the round window (RW) that occurred after sneezing, along with a review of the literature. We report a case of PLF of RW, which was provoked by sneezing, and its consequent medical and surgical treatments. With respect to the review of the literature, articles were initially selected based on their titles or abstracts, followed by methodological evaluation. The patient underwent an explorative tympanotomy (ET) with packaging of RW with the pericondrium, following which the patient's complaints regarding vertigo and imbalance disappeared, but the severe sensorineural hearing loss persisted. For the literature review, five references were selected. These studies showed a great variety in the clinical presentation and healing of symptoms. Sneezing represents a rare but well-recognized cause of PLF, as reported in our case. The correct selection of patients who should undergo ET and an early surgical repair of PLF are mandatory for better outcomes, especially in case of hearing.
- Associations between factors related to atopic disease and glaucoma in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Ophthalmol 2018 May 01; :1120672118771837
- CONCLUSIONS: In National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, self-reported cat ownership is associated with increased glaucoma prevalence, while a mildew/musty smell in home may have a borderline association with increased glaucoma prevalence. These findings are possibly related to laboratory associations identified in the same population and further studies are needed to identify potential mechanisms to explain these associations.
- Nasal fibroscopy as a routine screening procedure of sinonasal adenocarcinoma of woodworkers: French longitudinal case study. [Journal Article]
- HNHead Neck 2018 May 13
- CONCLUSIONS: Flexible nasoendoscopy offers meaningful efficacy and a promising safety profile, and, therefore, could become the new cornerstone of the routine screening procedure of sinonasal adenocarcinoma among woodworkers.
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) on menopausal symptoms: A high placebo response. [Journal Article]
- JTJ Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc 2018 May 14
- CONCLUSIONS: The failure to indicate a significant effect may induce due to high placebo response. It is suggested that the future trials should include a placebo run-in phase or design a sequential parallel with larger sample sizes to mitigate the placebo effect.
- Cyclamen europaeum extract for acute sinusitis. [Review]
- CDCochrane Database Syst Rev 2018 May 11; 5:CD011341
- CONCLUSIONS: The effectiveness of Cyclamen europaeum for people with acute sinusitis is unknown. Although no serious side effects were observed, 50% of participants who received Cyclamen europaeum reported adverse events compared with 24% of those who received placebo.
- Zolpidem-induced sneezing: A case report of positive rechallenge: Erratum. [Journal Article]
- MMedicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97(19):e0749
New Search Next
- Correlation between Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS) and self-reported and objective nasal characteristics. [Journal Article]
- RRhinology 2018 Apr 25
- CONCLUSIONS: A clinical implication of this is that patients with EDS may be evaluated and treated for sino-nasal disease, while medical and surgical measures to open the nose per se may not be effective therapeutic options. A scientific implication is that the relationship between SRBD and sino-nasal disease should be further investigated.