- Effect of pulse width modulation-controlled LED light on the polymerization of dental composites. [Journal Article]
- DMDent Mater 2018; 34(12):1836-1845
- CONCLUSIONS: With constant radiant exposure, evaluation of polymerization shrinkage/stress kinetics and their relationships could be performed by a PWM-controlled LED curing light. These results will be helpful to determine proper curing modes with varying radiant emittance of the LED curing light for decreasing polymerization shrinkage stress of dental composites. Within the limitations of this in vitro study, when radiant exposure is constant, polymerization shrinkage stress with low initial radiant emittance can be reduced compared to that with high initial radiant emittance.
- Lipid and thyroid hormone levels in children with epilepsy treated with levetiracetam or carbamazepine: A prospective observational study. [Journal Article]
- EBEpilepsy Behav 2018 Nov 27; 90:15-19
- Although previous studies have investigated the influence of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) on lipid profiles and thyroid hormone levels, there is little evidence regarding the effects of levetiracetam (...
Although previous studies have investigated the influence of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) on lipid profiles and thyroid hormone levels, there is little evidence regarding the effects of levetiracetam (LEV). Therefore, we conducted a prospective longitudinal study to evaluate the effects of LEV and carbamazepine (CBZ) treatment on lipid profile and thyroid hormone levels in patients newly diagnosed with epilepsy. Inclusion criteria were as follows: (a) age between 4 and 15 years, (b) diagnosis of epilepsy with at least two focal seizures within a year, and (c) newly treated with LEV or CBZ monotherapy. Serum lipid profile and thyroid hormone levels were measured before and after 1 and 6 months of AED initiation. Among the 21 included patients (LEV: 13 patients, CBZ: 8 patients), all but one patient in the LEV group continued AED monotherapy during the study period. Although triglyceride (TG) levels tended to be increased in the CBZ group (baseline: 58.3 ± 22.0 mg/dl, 1 month: 63.8 ± 21.6 mg/dl, 6 months: 92.3 ± 63.6 mg/dl, p = 0.22, analyses of variance (ANOVA)), there were no significant changes in total cholesterol (TC), TG levels, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), or low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) in either group. Serum free thyroxine (fT4) levels were significantly decreased in the CBZ group (baseline: 1.15 ± 0.06 ng/dl, 1 month: 1.00 ± 0.16 ng/dl, 6 months: 0.98 ± 0.14 ng/dl, p = 0.03, ANOVA). In contrast, there were no significant changes in fT4 or thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels in the LEV group. The results of the present study suggest that LEV monotherapy does not affect lipid profile or thyroid function while CBZ monotherapy may cause thyroid dysfunction.
- Reference intervals for thyroid-stimulating hormone, free thyroxine, and free triiodothyronine in elderly Chinese persons. [Journal Article]
- CCClin Chem Lab Med 2018 Nov 29
- Background Thyroid hormone levels are essential for diagnosing and monitoring thyroid diseases. However, their reference intervals (RIs) in elderly Chinese individuals remain unclear. We aimed to ide...
Background Thyroid hormone levels are essential for diagnosing and monitoring thyroid diseases. However, their reference intervals (RIs) in elderly Chinese individuals remain unclear. We aimed to identify factors affecting thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), free triiodothyronine (FT3), and free thyroxine (FT4) levels using clinical "big data" to establish hormone level RIs for elderly Chinese individuals. Methods We examined 6781, 6772, and 6524 subjects aged ≥65 years who underwent FT3, FT4, and TSH tests, respectively, at the Peking Union Medical College Hospital between September 1, 2013, and August 31, 2016. Hormones were measured using an automated immunoassay analyzer (ADVIA Centaur XP). RIs were established using the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute document C28-A3 guidelines. Results The median TSH was significantly higher in women than in men; the opposite was true for median FT3 and FT4 levels. No differences were observed in TSH or FT4 by age in either sex or overall; FT3 levels significantly decreased with age. Seasonal differences were observed in TSH and FT3 levels but not FT4 levels; the median TSH was the highest in winter and lowest in summer, whereas the median FT3 was the lowest in summer (albeit not significantly). RIs for TSH were 0.53-5.24 and 0.335-5.73 mIU/L for men and women, respectively; those for FT3 were 3.76-5.71, 3.60-5.42, and 3.36-5.27 pmol/L in 64- to 74-, 75- to 84-, and 85- to 96-year-old subjects, respectively. The RI for FT4 was 11.70-20.28 pmol/L. Conclusions RIs for TSH in elderly individuals were sex specific, whereas those for FT3 were age specific.
- [Association between thyroid nodule diameter measured by ultrasound and thyroid papillocarcinoma]. [Journal Article]
- ZYZhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2018 Nov 27; 98(44):3575-3578
- Objective: To investigate the association between thyroid nodule diameter measured by ultrasound and thyroid papillocarcinoma. Methods: A total of 389 cases undergoing thyroidectomy because of thyr...
Objective: To investigate the association between thyroid nodule diameter measured by ultrasound and thyroid papillocarcinoma. Methods: A total of 389 cases undergoing thyroidectomy because of thyroid nodule between January 2016 and June 2017 in Beijing Anzhen Hospital were retrospectively reviewed. Of these patients, 170 cases had thyroid papillocarcinoma, and 219 cases had benign nodule. The nodules were divided into five groups according to their diameters: ≤1.0 cm, 1.1-2.0 cm, 2.1-3.0 cm, 3.1-4.0 cm, >4.0 cm. The prevalence of papillocarcinoma and lymphatic metastasis in each group were compared. Results: There were significant differences in age [(45.4±12.8) years vs (51.7±13.4) years, P<0.001], thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) [1.75(1.28, 2.65) mU/L vs 1.48(0.99, 2.23) mU/L, P=0.003], thyroid-peroxidase antibody (TPOAb) [1.65(0.60, 8.40) kU/L vs 0.90(0.50, 2.40) kU/L, P=0.001], and C-reactive protein (CRP)[0.60(0.31, 1.37) mg/L vs 0.85(0.42, 1.66) mg/L, P=0.023] between thyroid papillocarcinoma and benign nodule. Of those(≤1.0 cm, 1.1-2.0 cm, 2.1-3.0 cm, 3.1-4.0 cm, >4.0 cm) five groups, the prevalence of papillocarcinoma was 72.5%, 52.5%, 29.7%, 16.1%, 2.4%, respectively(P<0.05). For papillocarcinoma patients, in diameter ≤1.0 cm and >1.0 cm groups, the prevalence of lymphatic metastasis was 29.9% and 45.8%, respectively (P=0.032). Binary logistic regression analysis showed that TSH (OR=1.350, 95%CI: 1.057-1.660, P=0.009), age(OR=0.960, 95%CI: 0.937-0.983, P=0.001) and nodule diameter (OR=0.359, 95%CI: 0.269-0.480, P=0.001) were independent associated factors of papillocarcinoma. Conclusion: As nodule diameter increased, the proportion of papillocarcinoma decreased, while the risk of lymphatic metastasis increased.
- Thyrotrophin Receptor Antibody Concentration And Activity, Several Years After Treatment For Graves' Disease. [Journal Article]
- CEClin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2018 Nov 28
- CONCLUSIONS: TRAb levels generally decreased after treatment but persisted for over 5 years in some patients. TRAb activity was predominantly stimulatory, with only one patient demonstrating TSBAb. A large proportion of patients were Tg-Ab/TPO-Ab positive at follow up. All treatment modalities reduced TRAb concentrations, however surgery was most effective. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- The influence of hypothyroidism and substitution treatment on thyroid hormone conversion ratios and rT3 concentration in patients with end-stage renal failure. [Journal Article]
- EPEndokrynol Pol 2018 Nov 27
- CONCLUSIONS: The concentration of rT3 in HD patients in relation to healthy persons tends to decrease, and hypothyroidism increases this tendency in these patients. Hormone substitution treatment does not eliminate the influence of RF on inhibition of rT3 production. In patients with ESRD, hypothyroidism additionally reduces the conversion of thyroid hormones examined by fT3/fT4 and less extent T3/T4 ratios.
- Thyroid stimulating hormone suppression time on cardiac function of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- CCCancer Cell Int 2018; 18:189
- CONCLUSIONS: Thyroid stimulating hormone suppression can influence the cardiac function of patients and with the prolongation of suppression time, regardless of the level of TSH suppression, the possibility of cardiac function depression in patients will increase. TSH may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease in high-risk patients than those in TSH patients with moderate or low risk. The drugs improving cardiac function should be used cooperatively in different suppression period to decrease the occurrence rate of cardiac adverse reactions.
- The effect of intake of sausages fortified with β-CD-I2 complex on iodine status and thyroid function: A preliminary study. [Journal Article]
- JTJ Trace Elem Med Biol 2019; 51:159-163
- The present study evaluated influence of boiled sausages consumption fortified with β-CD-I2 on the urinary iodine excretion (UIE) level of volunteers. Median urinary UIE level was increased from 58.0...
The present study evaluated influence of boiled sausages consumption fortified with β-CD-I2 on the urinary iodine excretion (UIE) level of volunteers. Median urinary UIE level was increased from 58.02 (24.0-175.4) μg/L to 110.6 (20.5-231.6) μg/L during 10 days. Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (FT4) levels were determined by radio immunoassay analysis. As it was expected, intake of sausages fortified with β-CD-I2 resulted in rise of FT4 level from 1.1 (0.95-1.25) to 1.23 (1.07-1.63) ng/dL, whereas TSH level decreased from 1.53 (0.47-3.37) mIU/L to 1.1 (0.51-3.17) mIU/L. A dynamic gastrointestinal model in vitro was used in order to determine possibility of 3,5-diiodotyrosine (DIT) formation during consumption of the fortified sausages. The DIT concentration was determined by HPLC-MS method and was found to be 0.38 ng/mL in sausage dialyzate. These findings indicate that β-CD-I2 introduction as an iodine carrier in boiled sausages may help to improve iodine status and to control organic iodine species concentration.
- 25-Hydroxy cholecalciferol, anti-Müllerian hormone, and thyroid profiles among infertile men. [Journal Article]
- AMAging Male 2018 Nov 22; :1-7
- CONCLUSIONS: Decreased Vit.D3 could play a role in male infertility, in addition to abnormal thyroid function, which needs further investigation.
New Search Next
- The increasing prevalence of chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis in papillary microcarcinoma. [Review]
- RERev Endocr Metab Disord 2018 Nov 20
- Although the incidence of some malignancy has decreased over the recent years, this is not the case of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC), whose incidence has increased worldwide. Most PTMC are ...
Although the incidence of some malignancy has decreased over the recent years, this is not the case of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC), whose incidence has increased worldwide. Most PTMC are found incidentally after histological examination of specimens from surgery for benign thyroid disease. Hashimoto's thyroiditis, whose incidence has also increased, coexists in about one in three PTMC patients. Three different mechanisms have been proposed to clarify the association between chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis and PTMC, namely tumor development/growth by: (i) TSH stimulation, (ii) expression of certain proto-oncogenes, (iii) chemokines and other molecules produced by the lymphocytic infiltrate. Whether Hashimoto's thyroiditis protects against lymph node metastasis is debated. Overall, autommune thyroiditis seems to contribute to the favorable prognosis of PTMC. Major limitations of the studies so far performed include: (i) retrospective design, (ii) limited statistical power, (iii) high risk of selection bias, (iv) and predominant Asian ethnicity of patients. Full genetic profiling of both diseases and identification of environmental factors capable to trigger them, as well as well-powered prospective studies on different ethnical groups, may help understand their causal association and why their frequencies are continuing raising.