- Development of a Gold Nanoparticle Vaccine against Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7. [Journal Article]MBio 2019; 10(4)MBIO
- Here we exploit the natural properties of a synthetic nanoparticle (NP) scaffold as a subunit vaccine against enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC). Two EHEC-specific immunogenic antigens, namely, LomW and EscC, either alone or in combination, were covalently linked on the surface of gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) and used to immunize mice prior to challenge with EHEC O157:H7 strain 86-24. LomW i…
Here we exploit the natural properties of a synthetic nanoparticle (NP) scaffold as a subunit vaccine against enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC). Two EHEC-specific immunogenic antigens, namely, LomW and EscC, either alone or in combination, were covalently linked on the surface of gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) and used to immunize mice prior to challenge with EHEC O157:H7 strain 86-24. LomW is a putative outer membrane protein encoded in bacteriophage BP-933W, while EscC is a structural type III secretion system protein which forms a ring in the outer membrane. The resulting AuNP preparations, AuNP-LomW and AuNP-EscC, showed that the nanoparticles were able to incorporate the antigens, forming stable formulations that retained robust immunogenicity in vivo after subcutaneous immunization. When administered subcutaneously, AuNP-LomW or AuNP-EscC or a combination containing equivalent amounts of both candidates resulted in higher IgG titers in serum and secretory IgA titers in feces. The serum IgG titers correlated with a significant reduction in EHEC intestinal colonization after 3 days postinoculation. In addition, we showed that serum from antigen-coated AuNP-immunized mice resulted in a reduction of adherence to human intestinal epithelial cells for EHEC, as well as for two other E. coli pathotypes (enteropathogenic E. coli [EPEC], encoding EscC, and enteroaggregative E. coli [EAEC], encoding LomW). Further, the serum had antigen-specific bactericidal properties, engaging the classical complement pathway. Overall, our results demonstrate the immunogenicity and stability of a novel nanovaccine against EHEC. These results also strengthen the prospect of development of a synthetic nanoparticle vaccine conjugated to E. coli antigens as a promising platform against other enteric pathogens.IMPORTANCE Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O157:H7 is a human pathogen and the causative agent of diarrhea and hemorrhagic colitis, which can progress to hemolytic uremic syndrome. These complications represent a serious global public health problem that requires laborious public health interventions and safety control measures to combat recurrent outbreaks worldwide. Today, there are no effective interventions for the control of EHEC infections, and, in fact, the use of antibiotics is counterindicated for EHEC disease. Therefore, a viable alternative for the prevention of human infections is the development of vaccines; however, no such vaccines are approved for human use. In this study, we developed a novel gold nanoparticle platform which acts as a scaffold for the delivery of various antigens, representing a nanovaccine technology which can be applied to several disease models.
- [Pediatric polygraphy: A 6-year experience]. [Journal Article]Rev Chil Pediatr 2019; 90(3):309-315RC
- CONCLUSIONS: There was a high percentage of OSAHS in at-risk pediatric patients, especially in those with NMD and obesity. PG is an accessible and implementable tool in a public hospital, a situation that can potentially be extrapolated to other healthcare centers.
- Developing a Therapeutic Approach Toward Active Engagement for Veterans With Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. [Journal Article]J Head Trauma Rehabil 2019 May/Jun; 34(3):141-149JH
- CONCLUSIONS: The chronic mTBI or PDS clinical encounter can be enhanced by empowering the patient with relatable terms and concepts to describe his or her reintegration challenges and emphasizing factors of brain health. This approach can provide the patient with a base of understanding regarding his or her current symptoms, promote focus on factors for cognitive health, and orient the clinical encounter toward improved community reintegration and long-term cognitive wellness.
- A Challenging Case of Tapia Syndrome After Total Thyroidectomy. [Journal Article]Ear Nose Throat J 2019; :145561319841202EN
- Mediterranean Diet, Body Composition, and Activity Associated With Bone Health in Women With Fibromyalgia Syndrome. [Journal Article]Nurs Res 2019 Sep/Oct; 68(5):358-364NR
- CONCLUSIONS: LM and the Med Diet were consistently associated with calcaneal quantitative ultrasound parameters, supporting the hypothesis that LM and adherence to the Med Diet play determinant roles in bone health in FMS women. Training programs to maximize LM and strategies for promoting good adherence to the Med Diet should be considered in order to prevent the development of osteoporosis in FMS women. Because nurses are involved in implementing preventive programs, their roles in promoting this adherence to the Med Diet and maximizing LM in patients with FMS should help reduce the impact of osteoporosis.
- Analysis of the characteristics and components for the frailty syndrome in older adults from central Chile. The PIEI-ES study. [Journal Article]Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2019 Jan - Feb; 80:70-75AG
- CONCLUSIONS: This study provides evidence that frailty may be related with cognitive functioning, educational level and nutritional status in older adults.
- Tapia's Syndrome. [Case Reports]Anesth Prog 2018; 65(2):129-130AP
- More than 100,000 general anesthetic procedures are conducted in United Kingdom every year for dental interventions, according to large survey of the National Health Services. 1 The risk of mortality has reduced considerably in the past few decades because of the use of safe and effective techniques. However, adverse effects still exist and are dependent on patient, environmental, and operator fa…
More than 100,000 general anesthetic procedures are conducted in United Kingdom every year for dental interventions, according to large survey of the National Health Services. 1 The risk of mortality has reduced considerably in the past few decades because of the use of safe and effective techniques. However, adverse effects still exist and are dependent on patient, environmental, and operator factors. We present an uncommon complication of intubation that merits due awareness.
New Search Next
- Mid-term beta-blocker treatment after low risk acute coronary syndrome. [Journal Article]Eur J Prev Cardiol 2019; 26(1):105-108EJ