- Impact of pre-procedural cerebrovascular events on clinical outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation in patients with severe aortic stenosis. [Journal Article]
- CPCurr Pharm Des 2018 Feb 19
- CONCLUSIONS: We showed that a history of CVEs in patients with severe AS undergoing TAVI is associated with a higher long-term mortality.
- Comparative cardiovascular safety of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in patients with hypertension: a population-based cohort study. [Journal Article]
- BJBr J Clin Pharmacol 2018 Feb 22
- CONCLUSIONS: Our results provide important information about the comparative cardiovascular safety of NSAIDs in patients with hypertension.
- Plasma Exosomal miRNA-122-5p and miR-300-3p as Potential Markers for Transient Ischaemic Attack in Rats. [Journal Article]
- FAFront Aging Neurosci 2018; 10:24
- Background: Differentiation of transient ischaemic attack (TIA) from ischaemic stroke within the thrombolysis time window is difficult. Although TIA may be diagnosed within this w...
Background: Differentiation of transient ischaemic attack (TIA) from ischaemic stroke within the thrombolysis time window is difficult. Although TIA may be diagnosed within this window, the latest imaging technologies are complex and costly. Serum markers, which are non-invasive, rapid and economic, are used for diagnosis and prognosis of various diseases. Exosome-derived miRNA markers for TIA are unknown.Methods:We examined focal brain ischaemia produced by occlusion of the middle cerebral artery (MCAo) for 5 min, 10 min, and 2 h in rats. Exosomal miRNAs with consistent trends in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and plasma were identified by deep sequencing and quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR). The areas under the curve (AUC) of the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve were used to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of these miRNAs for TIA in rats.Results:Rno-miR-122-5p and rno-miR-300-3p were selected. Plasma exosomal rno-miR-122-5p was significantly downregulated in 10 min ischaemic rats compared with control and 5 min plasma. Plasma exosomal rno-miR-300-3p was significantly upregulated in 5 min ischaemic rats compared with control, 10 min and 2 h rats. Plasma and CSF levels of these miRNAs were correlated. ROC analysis showed high AUC values for rno-miR-122-5p (0.960) and rno-miR-300-3p (0.970) in the 10 and 5 min rats, respectively, compared with controls.Conclusions:Plasma exosomal rno-miR-122-5p and rno-miR-300-3p may be blood-based TIA biomarkers.
- Social Gradients in Myocardial Infarction and Stroke Diagnoses in Emergency Medicine. [Journal Article]
- DADtsch Arztebl Int 2018 Jan 26; 115(4):41-48
- CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that the case-activity rate of the emergency medical services is significantly higher in socially disadvantaged neighborhoods, both with respect to total numbers and with respect to individual diseases. It demonstrates a problem affecting society as a whole, which should be taken into account in the organization of medical rescue services.
- Uninterrupted Use of Oral Anticoagulants for the Ablation of Atrial Flutter: A Single Center Cohort of 154 Patients. [Journal Article]
- ABArq Bras Cardiol 2018 Feb 19
- CONCLUSIONS: In our population there were no hemorrhagic complications regarding the procedure of OAC use uninterruptedly, including NOACs. There was higher occurrence of stroke/TIA in the follow-up of the group of patients undergoing VKAs; however, this difference may not only be a result of the type of OAC used.
- Association of serum levels of antibodies against MMP1, CBX1, and CBX5 with transient ischemic attack and cerebral infarction. [Journal Article]
- OOncotarget 2018 Jan 19; 9(5):5600-5613
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a predictor for cerebral infarction (CI), and early diagnosis of TIA is extremely important for the prevention of CI. We set out to identify novel antibody biomarke...
Transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a predictor for cerebral infarction (CI), and early diagnosis of TIA is extremely important for the prevention of CI. We set out to identify novel antibody biomarkers for TIA and CI, and detected matrix metalloproteinase 1 (MMP1), chromobox homolog 1 (CBX1), and chromobox homolog 5 (CBX5) as candidate antigens using serological identification of antigens by recombinant cDNA expression cloning (SEREX) and Western blotting to confirm the presence of serum antibodies against the antigens. Amplified luminescent proximity homogeneous assay-linked immunosorbent assay (AlphaLISA) revealed that serum antibody levels were significantly higher in patients with TIA or acute-phase CI (aCI) compared with healthy donors (P< 0.01). Spearman's correlation analysis and multivariate logistic regression analysis demonstrated that levels of anti-MMP1, anti-CBX1, and anti-CBX5 antibodies were associated with age, cigarette-smoking habits, and blood pressure. Thus, serum levels of antibodies against MMP1, CBX1, and CBX5 could potentially serve as useful tools for diagnosing TIA and predicting the onset of aCI.
- [Migraine 'masks': differential diagnosis of acute headache]. [Journal Article]
- ZNZh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 2018; 118(1):96-102
- Differential diagnosis of migraine, can be difficult, especially of migraine with aura. On the one hand, some diseases can produce symptoms similar to migraine (cerebral aneurysm before rupture, reve...
Differential diagnosis of migraine, can be difficult, especially of migraine with aura. On the one hand, some diseases can produce symptoms similar to migraine (cerebral aneurysm before rupture, reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome). On the other hand, migraine with aura and some other disorders are conditions that have common pathophysiological mechanisms (e.g., CADASIL and MELAS syndrome, antiphospholipid syndrome). Thirdly, clinical presentations of migraine are often difficult to distinguish from features of other headache conditions (migraine with aura - transient ischemic attack, migraine with visual aura - occipital epilepsy). The author discusses the differential diagnosis of acute headache, especially thunderclap headache, and main strategies of effective treatment of migraine attacks.
- External Validation of Risk Scores for Major Bleeding in a Population-Based Cohort of Transient Ischemic Attack and Ischemic Stroke Patients. [Journal Article]
- SStroke 2018 Feb 19
- CONCLUSIONS: The S2TOP-BLEED score shows modest performance in a population-based cohort of patients with a transient ischemic attack or ischemic stroke. Although bleeding risks were associated with risks of ischemic events, risk stratification may still be useful to identify a subgroup of patients at particularly high risk of bleeding, in whom preventive measures are indicated.
New Search Next
- Charting the Course: Risk Scores for Major Bleeding in Transient Ischemic Attack and Ischemic Stroke. [Editorial]
- SStroke 2018 Feb 19