- Calcinosis in scleroderma. [Journal Article]
- COCurr Opin Rheumatol 2018 Aug 16
- CONCLUSIONS: Calcinosis cutis is the deposition of insoluble calcium in the skin and subcutaneous tissues. It represents a major clinical problem in patients with SSc affecting at least one quarter of patients. It is associated with longer disease duration, digital ulcers, acro-osteolysis, positive anticentromere antibody, and positive anti-PM/Scl antibody. Although pathogenesis is unknown, there is evidence supporting local trauma, chronic inflammation, vascular hypoxia, and dysregulation of bone matrix proteins as potential mechanisms. Diagnosis can be made clinically or with plain radiography. Several pharmacologic therapies have been tried for calcinosis with variable and modest results, but surgical excision of calcium deposits remains the mainstay of treatment.
- Reconstruction of Soft Tissue Defects Around the Knee With Pedicled Perforator Flaps. [Journal Article]
- APAnn Plast Surg 2018 Aug 17
- CONCLUSIONS: These 4 kinds of perforator flaps are available methods to repair the skin and soft tissue defects around the knee joints. Suitable perforator flaps should be chosen for different locations of wounds.
- [Clinical analysis for oral mucosal disease in 21 972 cases]. [Journal Article]
- ZNZhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 2018 Jul 28; 43(7):779-783
- To analyze the incidence and distribution of oral mucosal diseases in Hunan Province and provide reference for prevention and treatment. Methods: The clinical data for all patients, who were treated...
To analyze the incidence and distribution of oral mucosal diseases in Hunan Province and provide reference for prevention and treatment. Methods: The clinical data for all patients, who were treated in Xiangya Hospital of Central South University from April 2013 to March 2017, were collected. After screening, weighing and classifying, sex and age distribution for the disease was analyzed. Results: The female with the age between 40 to 49 were in the majority among 21 972 patients. The ratio between men to women was 1:1.05. According to the classification of diseases, the most common diseases were as follows: recurrent aphthous ulcer (27.17%), burning mouth syndrome (15.72%), oral submucous fibrosis (14.75%), oral lichen planus (10.38%), oral leukoplakia (4.21%), traumatic ulceration (4.14%), chronic cheilitis (3.47%), oral fungal infection (3.26%), and atrophic glossitis (2.74%). Recurrent oral ulcer (28.65%), burning mouth syndrome (23.70%) and oral lichen planus (13.31%) were the most common 3 kinds of oral mucosal diseases during females in Hunan. Oral submucous fibrosis was the most common oral mucosal disease among males in Hunan (28.56%). Conclusion: Recurrent oral ulcer, burning mouth syndrome and oral lichen planus are very popular in women in Hunan Province, and oral submucous fibrosis is the most common disease in male in this region. It shows a high trend of incidence in the surrounding provinces.
- Rapid extraction of the hottest or coldest regions of medical thermographic images. [Journal Article]
- MBMed Biol Eng Comput 2018 Aug 20
- Early detection of breast tumors, feet pre-ulcers diagnosing in diabetic patients, and identifying the location of pain in patients are essential to physicians. Hot or cold regions in medical thermog...
Early detection of breast tumors, feet pre-ulcers diagnosing in diabetic patients, and identifying the location of pain in patients are essential to physicians. Hot or cold regions in medical thermographic images have potential to be suspicious. Hence extracting the hottest or coldest regions in the body thermographic images is an important task. Lazy snapping is an interactive image cutout algorithm that can be applied to extract the hottest or coldest regions in the body thermographic images quickly with easy detailed adjustment. The most important advantage of this technique is that it can provide the results for physicians in real time readily. In other words, it is a good interactive image segmentation algorithm since it has two basic characteristics: (1) the algorithm produces intuitive segmentation that reflects the user intent with given a certain user input and (2) the algorithm is efficient enough to provide instant visual feedback. Comparing to other methods used by the authors for segmentation of breast thermograms such as K-means, fuzzy c-means, level set, and mean shift algorithms, lazy snapping was more user-friendly and could provide instant visual feedback. In this study, twelve test cases were presented and by applying lazy snapping algorithm, the hottest or coldest regions were extracted from the corresponding body thermographic images. The time taken to see the results varied from 7 to 30 s for these twelve cases. It was concluded that lazy snapping was much faster than other methods applied by the authors such as K-means, fuzzy c-means, level set, and mean shift algorithms for segmentation. Graphical abstract Time taken to implement lazy snapping algorithm to extract suspicious regions in different presented thermograms (in seconds). In this study, ten test cases are presented that by applying lazy snapping algorithm, the hottest or coldest regions were extracted from the corresponding body thermographic images. The time taken to see the results varied from 7 to 30 s for the ten cases. It concludes lazy snapping is much faster than other methods applied by the authors.
- A randomized placebo-controlled phase II study of clarithromycin or placebo combined with VCD induction therapy prior to high-dose melphalan with stem cell support in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. [Journal Article]
- EHExp Hematol Oncol 2018; 7:18
- CONCLUSIONS: The study was prematurely stopped due to serious adverse events, in particular serious gastrointestinal complications and septicemia. The response data do not suggest any effect of clarithromycin when added to the VCD regimen. The combination of clarithromycin and bortezomib containing regimens is toxic and do not seem to offer extra anti-myeloma efficacy.Trial registration EudraCT (no. 2014-002187-32, registered 7 October 2014, https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/trial/2014-002187-32/DK) and ClinicalTrials.gov (no NCT02573935, retrospectively registered 12 October 2015, https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02573935?term=Gregersen&cntry=DK&rank=9).
- Effect of laser therapy on expression of angio- and fibrogenic factors, and cytokine concentrations during the healing process of human pressure ulcers. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Med Sci 2018; 15(11):1105-1112
- Objective: To evaluate the effect of laser irradiation at different wavelengths on the expression of selected growth factors and inflammatory mediators at particular stages of the wound healing proc...
Objective: To evaluate the effect of laser irradiation at different wavelengths on the expression of selected growth factors and inflammatory mediators at particular stages of the wound healing process. Methods: Sixty-seven patients were recruited, treated, and analyzed (group A - 940 nm: 17 patients; group B - 808 nm: 18 patients; group C - 658 nm: 16 patients; group D - sham therapy: 17 patients). Patients received a basic treatment, including repositioning and mobilization, air pressure mattress and bed support surfaces, wound cleansing and drug therapy. Additionally, patients received laser therapy once a day, 5 times a week for 1 month in use of a semiconductor lasers (GaAlAs) which emitted a continuous radiation emission at separate wavelengths of 940 nm (group A), 808 nm (group B) and 658 nm (group C). In group D (sham therapy), laser therapy was applied in the same manner, but the device was off during each session (only the applicator was switched on to scan pressure ulcers using none coherent red visible light). Results: The positive changes in the measured serum (IL-2, IL-6 and TNF-α) and wound tissue (TNF-α, VEGF and TGFβ1) parameters appeared to be connected only with the wavelength of 658 nm. The significant change in pro-inflammatory mediator levels [interleukin 2 (IL-2) with p=0.008 and interleukin 6 (IL-6) with p=0.016] was noticed after two weeks of laser therapy. In the other groups, the inflammation was also reduced, but the process was not as marked as in group C. Similarly, in the case of tumor necrosis factor (TNF-α) concentration, where after two weeks of treatment with irradiation at a wavelength of 658 nm, a rapid suppression was observed (p=0.001), whereas in the other groups, these results were much slower and not as obvious. Interestingly, again in the case of group C, the change in TNF-α concentration in wound tissue was most intensive (≈75% reduction), whereas the changes in other groups were not as obvious (≈50% reduction). After irradiation (658 nm), the VEGF expression increased significantly within the first two weeks, and then it decreased and maintained a stable level. In contrast, the TGFβ1 activity remained level, but always higher in comparison to other groups Conclusions: The effective healing of pressure ulcers is connected with laser irradiation at a wavelength of 658 nm. We believe that this effect is related to the inhibition of inflammatory processes in the wound and stimulation of angiogenesis and fibroblast proliferation at this specific radiation (based both on concentration of interleukins and TNF-α serum level and VEGF, TGFβ1, TNF-α activities in wound biopsies). Laser therapy at wavelengths of 940 and 808 nm does not significantly affect the above-mentioned repair processes, which explains its low effectiveness in the treatment of pressure ulcers.
- Phytochemical analysis and antioxidant and anticancer activities of mastic gum resin from Pistacia atlantica subspecies kurdica. [Journal Article]
- OTOnco Targets Ther 2018; 11:4559-4572
- CONCLUSIONS: It was confirmed that the antiproliferative efficacy of the resin is positively correlated with its polyphenolic contents, suggesting a causal link related to exudate content of phenolic acid and flavonoids. The results revealed that the mastic gum resin has potential to be developed as an anticancer and antioxidant product due to its high content of polyphenol compounds.
- Diagnostic value of oral "beefy red" patch in vitamin B12 deficiency. [Journal Article]
- TCTher Clin Risk Manag 2018; 14:1391-1397
- CONCLUSIONS: The combination of oral "beefy red" patch and serum cobalamin level <350 pg/mL appears to be useful for diagnosis of B12 deficiency.
- Herb-partitioned moxibustion alleviates colon injuries in ulcerative colitis rats. [Journal Article]
- WJWorld J Gastroenterol 2018 Aug 14; 24(30):3384-3397
- CONCLUSIONS: HPM promotes the repair of colon injuries in UC rats, which is related to the regulation of several abnormally expressed cytokines.
New Search Next
- Sex-Related Differences in the Morphology and Subpopulation Composition of Colon Lymphocytes in Experimental Acute Colitis. [Journal Article]
- BEBull Exp Biol Med 2018 Aug 18
- Morphological manifestations of acute colitis and subpopulation composition of colon lymphocytes were studied in male and female C57Bl/6 mice with acute dextran-induced colitis. We evaluated the seve...
Morphological manifestations of acute colitis and subpopulation composition of colon lymphocytes were studied in male and female C57Bl/6 mice with acute dextran-induced colitis. We evaluated the severity of colitis symptoms, morphological changes in the colon, and prevalence of epithelialized and non-epithelialized ulcers. The subpopulation composition of lymphocytes (CD3-CD19+ B cells, CD3+CD4+ T helpers, CD3+CD8+ cytotoxic T cells, and CD4+CD25+FOXP3+ regulatory T cells) was assessed by flow cytofluorometry in suspension of colon cells prepared by enzymatic disintegration. In males, clinical manifestations of acute colitis and morphological changes were more severe and the prevalence of non-epithelialized ulcers was higher than in females. In females, the content of T, B, and regulatory T cells in the colon wall was higher, while the content of cytotoxic T cells was lower than in males. In females with acute colitis, the absolute lymphocyte count and the content of B cells and regulatory T cells decreased, while the percentage of cytotoxic T cells increased in comparison with intact animals. In males with acute colitis, the levels of regulatory T and B cells increased in comparison with the corresponding parameter in intact animals. Morphological changes and changes in the lymphocyte subpopulations, detected in males and females with acute colitis, were determined by different levels of sex steroid hormones.