- Novel homozygous CFAP69 mutations in humans and mice cause severe asthenoteratospermia with multiple morphological abnormalities of the sperm flagella. [Journal Article]
- JMJ Med Genet 2018 Nov 10
- CONCLUSIONS: Our experimental findings elucidate that homozygous loss-of-function mutations in CFAP69 can lead to asthenoteratospermia with MMAF in humans and mice.
- Examining the role of imageability and regularity in word reading accuracy and learning efficiency among first and second graders at risk for reading disabilities. [Journal Article]
- JEJ Exp Child Psychol 2018 Nov 07; 178:226-250
- This study explored word reading accuracy and word learning efficiency in first- and second-grade students (N = 125). In two experiments, students participated in a short training exposing them to wo...
This study explored word reading accuracy and word learning efficiency in first- and second-grade students (N = 125). In two experiments, students participated in a short training exposing them to words that varied on orthographic regularity and imageability. In Experiment 1 the form of word feedback was manipulated (phonemic vs. whole word), whereas in Experiment 2 pretraining exposure was manipulated (training on meaning vs. imageability). Crossed random effects models were used to explore child- and item-level predictors related to number of exposures to mastery, posttest word reading performance, and maintenance performance after 1 week. Results from Experiment 1 indicate that imageability plays a role in irregular word learning. Results from Experiment 2 suggest that students who received imageability training required fewer exposures to reach mastery. There was a significant interaction between initial word reading skill and condition, with students with low word reading skills requiring fewer exposures for mastery if they were in the imageability condition. Overall, these findings suggest that word imageability significantly affects both word reading accuracy and rate of word learning.
- The effectiveness of 4DCT in children and adults: A pooled analysis. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Appl Clin Med Phys 2018 Nov 09
- CONCLUSIONS: Overall variability is smaller in children than in adults, indicating that respiratory motion is more regular in children than in adults. This implies that a single pretreatment 4DCT could be a good representation of daily respiratory motion in children and will be at least equally beneficial for planning purposes as it is in adults.
- Primary hydatid cyst of the urinary bladder. [Journal Article]
- BCBMJ Case Rep 2018 Nov 08; 2018
- A 35-year-old man presented with poorly localised lower abdominal pain for 3 months. Abdominal examination revealed lower abdominal tenderness, with normal other parts of examination. CT scan of the ...
A 35-year-old man presented with poorly localised lower abdominal pain for 3 months. Abdominal examination revealed lower abdominal tenderness, with normal other parts of examination. CT scan of the abdomen showed irregular multiloculated mass related to the upper part of the urinary bladder with mild rim enhancement in the postcontrast study with no areas of calcifications. During laparotomy, we found a mass attached to the superior part of the urinary bladder and arising from its wall. Complete excision was done without opening the cavity of the bladder. The mass was opened and was a hydatid cyst of the bladder containing multiple daughter cysts.
- [Spatiotemporal changes of landscape pattern using impervious surface in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, China.] [Journal Article]
- YYYing Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 2018; 29(9):2907-2914
- Impervious surface is a key indicator for urbanization degree and the quality of urban environment. It is of great ecological significance to study the evolution of urban landscape based on imperviou...
Impervious surface is a key indicator for urbanization degree and the quality of urban environment. It is of great ecological significance to study the evolution of urban landscape based on impervious surface. We explored the spatiotemporal changes of impervious surface landscape pattern in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area from 2006 to 2016 using multi-temporal Landsat images based on landscape pattern index. The results showed that the impervious surface area (ISA) significantly increased in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area from 12127.69 km2 in 2006 to 20188.87 km2 in 2016, with an annual growth rate of 806.12 km2. High-density ISA was distributed in Guangzhou-Foshan and Shenzhen-Dongguan districts on the east and west of the Pearl River, respectively. In general, patch numbers, patch density, and edge density, as well as shape complexity and its fragmentation kept increasing during the past decade. The landscape pattern tended to be disordered, fragmented, and irregular. Moreover, the difference of impervious surface landscape pattern is obvious between cities. The areas with highest connectivity, stability and regularization were distributed in Hong Kong and Macao, while the landscape pattern in Huizhou and Jiangmen trended to be fragmentized and complex.
- Ultrastructural immunolocalization of telomerase and hyaluronate in migrating keratinocytes in a case of oro-pharyngeal squamous cancer. [Journal Article]
- PRPathol Res Pract 2018 Nov 02
- The ultrastructural immunolocalization of telomerase and hyaluronate has been studied in a case of oropharyngeal squamous carcinoma. Immunofluorescence shows that telomerase immunolabeling is present...
The ultrastructural immunolocalization of telomerase and hyaluronate has been studied in a case of oropharyngeal squamous carcinoma. Immunofluorescence shows that telomerase immunolabeling is present in the cytoplasm and in nuclei of some keratinocytes during their migration into the underlying connective tissue. The electron microscope shows that the nuclear localization of telomerase mainly occurs in the large nucleoli and in likely Cajal bodies, the sites of assembling and maturation of proteins forming the telomerase complex. Aside ribosomes, the nucleolus has a role in the biosynthesis of this reverse transcriptase during cell proliferation in normal tissues and in tumors. The cytoplasmic labeling for telomerase is frequently associated with an irregular network of keratin bundles but the significance of this observation is unclear. Hyaluronate, detected through ultrastructural immunolocalization of a hyaluronate binding protein, is abundant mostly along the cell membrane of the detaching basal keratinocytes during epithelial mesenchymal transition. A coat of hyaluronate surrounds the free keratinocytes of the squamous epithelium and is present around the connective cells present underneath. The study supports the hypothesis that hyaluronate forms a pathway along which epithelial cells can migrate during epidermal mesenchymal transition and may also shield cancer cells from immune cells.
- Exploring miRNAs for developing climate-resilient crops: A perspective review. [Review]
- STSci Total Environ 2018 Oct 28; 653:91-104
- Climate changes and environmental stresses have significant implications on global crop production and necessitate developing crops that can withstand an array of climate changes and environmental pe...
Climate changes and environmental stresses have significant implications on global crop production and necessitate developing crops that can withstand an array of climate changes and environmental perturbations such as irregular water-supplies leading to drought or water-logging, hyper soil-salinity, extreme and variable temperatures, ultraviolet radiations and metal stress. Plants have intricate molecular mechanisms to cope with these dynamic environmental changes, one of the most common and effective being the reprogramming of expression of stress-responsive genes. Plant microRNAs (miRNAs) have emerged as key post-transcriptional and translational regulators of gene-expression for modulation of stress implications. Recent reports are establishing their key roles in epigenetic regulations of stress/adaptive responses as well as in providing plants genome-stability. Several stress responsive miRNAs are being identified from different crop plants and miRNA-driven RNA-interference (RNAi) is turning into a technology of choice for improving crop traits and providing phenotypic plasticity in challenging environments. Here we presents a perspective review on exploration of miRNAs as potent targets for engineering crops that can withstand multi-stress environments via loss-/gain-of-function approaches. This review also shed a light on potential roles plant miRNAs play in genome-stability and their emergence as potent target for genome-editing. Current knowledge on plant miRNAs, their biogenesis, function, their targets, and latest developments in bioinformatics approaches for plant miRNAs are discussed. Though there are recent reviews discussing primarily the individual miRNAs responsive to single stress factors, however, considering practical limitation of this approach, special emphasis is given in this review on miRNAs involved in responses and adaptation of plants to multi-stress environments including at epigenetic and/or epigenomic levels.
- Integrin binding site within the gC1q domain orchestrates EMILIN-1-induced lymphangiogenesis. [Journal Article]
- MBMatrix Biol 2018 Oct 26
- Lymphatic vessels (LVs) play a pivotal role in the control of tissue homeostasis and also have emerged as important regulators of immunity, inflammation and tumor metastasis. EMILIN-1 is the first EC...
Lymphatic vessels (LVs) play a pivotal role in the control of tissue homeostasis and also have emerged as important regulators of immunity, inflammation and tumor metastasis. EMILIN-1 is the first ECM protein identified as a structural modulator of the growth and maintenance of LV; accordingly, Emilin1-/- mice display lymphatic morphological alterations leading to functional defects as mild lymphedema, leakage and compromised lymph drainage. Many EMILIN-1 functions are exerted by the binding of its gC1q domain with the E933 residue of α4 and α9β1 integrins. To investigate the specific regulatory role of this domain on lymphangiogenesis, we generated a transgenic mouse model expressing an E933A-mutated EMILIN-1 (E1-E933A), unable to interact with α4 or α9 integrin. The mutant resulted in abnormal LV architecture with dense, tortuous and irregular networks; moreover, the number of anchoring filaments was reduced and collector valves had aberrant narrowed structures. E933A mutation also affected lymphatic function in lymphangiography assays and made the transgenic mice more prone to lymph node metastases. The finding that the gC1q/integrin interaction is crucial for a correct lymphangiogenesis response was confirmed and reinforced by functional in vitro tubulogenesis assays. In addition, ex vivo thoracic-duct ring assays revealed that E1-E933A-derived lymphatic endothelial cells had a severe reduction in sprouting capacity and were unable to organize into capillary-like structures. All these data provide evidence that the novel "regulatory structural" role of EMILIN-1 in the lymphangiogenic process is played by the integrin binding site within its gC1q domain.
- Microsurgical Clipping of a Ruptured Basilar Apex Aneurysm: 3-Dimensional Operative Video. [Journal Article]
- ONOper Neurosurg (Hagerstown) 2018 Nov 08
- A 59-yr-old woman presented with a sudden onset of headache with neck pain and stiffness, Hunt and Hess grade 2. Brain computed tomography (CT) showed subarachnoid hemorrhage, Fisher Grade 2. Intra-a...
A 59-yr-old woman presented with a sudden onset of headache with neck pain and stiffness, Hunt and Hess grade 2. Brain computed tomography (CT) showed subarachnoid hemorrhage, Fisher Grade 2. Intra-arterial digital subtraction angiography (IADSA) showed a basilar artery apex aneurysm, dome size 9 mm and neck 3 mm, leaning towards the right, and a dominant right artery of Percheron. Endovascular treatment and microsurgical clipping were both explained to the patient, but she decided to undergo microsurgery due to the durability of treatment.She underwent a right frontotemporal craniotomy and orbital osteotomy. We performed optic nerve decompression and intradural anterior clinoidectomy to enhance the exposure. Working through the carotid-oculomotor space, the posterior communicating artery was traced back to the posterior cerebral artery. The basilar artery was temporarily occluded for aneurysm dissection after burst suppression to protect the brain. The aneurysm was irregular, multilobulated, and projecting upward. The dominant thalamoperforate artery (artery of Percheron) was arising from the right P1, and densely adherent to the sac of the aneurysm. After dissection of the artery of Percheron away from the aneurysm, it was completely occluded by a side-curved titanium clip. The patient had right oculomotor nerve paresis and headache postoperatively, but at discharge 2 wk later the headache and paresis had completely resolved. The postoperative IADSA showed total occlusion of the aneurysm with patency of the artery of Percheron.This 3-dimensional video shows the technical nuances of microsurgical clipping of a ruptured basilar apex aneurysm and intraoperative dissection of the artery of Percheron.Informed consent was obtained from the patient prior to the surgery that included videotaping of the procedure and its distribution for educational purposes. All relevant patient identifiers have also been removed from the video and accompanying radiology slides.
New Search Next
- Frequent premature ventricular beats in healthy children: when to ignore and when to treat? [Journal Article]
- COCurr Opin Cardiol 2018 Nov 06
- CONCLUSIONS: Asymptomatic children with normal ventricular function and a low ectopy burden can be followed without any intervention and generally reassured. Children with an ectopy burden more than 30% are at some risk of developing LV dysfunction and should be more closely followed with noninvasive imaging. Development of symptoms attributed to the ectopy or signs of increasing LV dimensions or LV dysfunction should be treated with medication or catheter ablation.