- Ultrasonography in diagnosis and analysis of chronic pain following anterior open inguinal herniorrhaphy. [Journal Article]
- BSBMC Surg 2018 May 22; 18(1):28
- CONCLUSIONS: Ultrasonography provieds important value in the diagnosis of chronic pain following anterior open inguinal herniorrhaphy. Some positive diagnoses occur simultaneously, which is necessary for doctors to consider comprehensively.
- Varicocele and Testicular Pain: A Review. [Review]
- WJWorld J Mens Health 2018 May 16
- Varicocele is the dilatation of the scrotal portion of pampiniform plexus and the internal spermatic venous system. About 15% of men suffer from scrotal varicocele and 2% to 10% of them complain of p...
Varicocele is the dilatation of the scrotal portion of pampiniform plexus and the internal spermatic venous system. About 15% of men suffer from scrotal varicocele and 2% to 10% of them complain of pain. The probable mechanisms for pain include compression of the surrounding neural fibers by the dilated venous complex, elevated testicular temperature, increased venous pressure, hypoxia, oxidative stress, hormonal imbalances, and the reflux of toxic metabolites of adrenal or renal origin. Testicular pain associated with varicoceles is typically described as a dull, aching, or throbbing pain in the testicle, scrotum, or groin; rarely, it can be acute, sharp, or stabbing. The management of testicular pain associated with varicocele starts with a conservative, non-surgical approach and a period of observation. Varicocelectomy in carefully selected candidates with clinically palpable varicocele resolves nearly 80% of all cases of testicular pain. Microsurgical techniques for varicocelectomy have gained popularity with minimal complication rates and favorable outcomes. The grade of varicocele, the nature and duration of pain, body mass index, prior conservative management, and the type of surgical method used, are predictors for the success of varicocelectomy.
- The Effect of Subclinical Varicocele on Pregnancy Rates and Semen Parameters: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. [Review]
- CUCurr Urol Rep 2018 May 17; 19(7):53
- Current guidelines recommend against surgical repair of subclinical varicoceles (SCVs) for infertility; several studies demonstrate mixed fertility results after SCV correction. To determine whether ...
Current guidelines recommend against surgical repair of subclinical varicoceles (SCVs) for infertility; several studies demonstrate mixed fertility results after SCV correction. To determine whether surgical correction of SCV improves semen parameters and/or reproductive outcomes, we performed a systematic review and meta-analysis. Seven biomedical literature databases were searched through January 2018 for studies that assessed reproductive outcomes and/or change in semen parameters in men with corrected SCV compared to either (1) uncorrected SCV or (2) corrected clinical varicocele. Estimates were pooled using random-effects meta-analysis.
- Expression of TRPC5 is decreased in the sperm of patients with varicocele-associated asthenozoospermia. [Journal Article]
- BRBiomed Rep 2018; 8(6):529-534
- The present study aimed to determine whether the expression of transient receptor potential channel 5 (TRPC5) protein is altered in spermatozoa of patients with varicocele-associated asthenozoospermi...
The present study aimed to determine whether the expression of transient receptor potential channel 5 (TRPC5) protein is altered in spermatozoa of patients with varicocele-associated asthenozoospermia. TRPC5 expression in spermatozoa was determined by polymerase chain reaction and western blotting analyses, and indirect immunofluorescence was used for identification and immunolocalization of the TRPC5 channel in human sperm. Sperm motility and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity were also determined with a computer-assisted semen analysis system and assay kit, respectively. Compared with levels in control subjects, it was identified that TRPC5 protein expression, SOD activity and cellular motility in the sperm of patients with varicocele-associated asthenozoospermia were reduced (P<0.001). Furthermore, the expression of TRPC5 was positively correlated with sperm motility (r=0.781, P<0.001) and SOD activity (r=0.933, P<0.001), indicated by partial correlation analysis. The present study may provide a novel target for the study and treatment of varicocele-associated asthenozoospermia.
- Alteration in CatSper1 and 2 genes expression, sperm parameters and testis histology in varicocelized rats. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Reprod Biomed (Yazd) 2018; 16(3):183-190
- CONCLUSIONS: Our data indicated that experimental varicocele has deleterious effects on sperm parameters, testis structure as well as the expression of CatSper 1 and 2 genes.
- One-carbon cycle support rescues sperm damages in experimentally induced varicocele in rats. [Journal Article]
- BIBJU Int 2018 May 11
- CONCLUSIONS: Micronutrients in support of the one-carbon cycle are effective in the treatment of the rat experimental varicocele, likely by activating the natural antioxidant defenses and epigenetics. These results support the idea that essential micronutrients including B vitamins may have a positive influence also in clinical varicocele, which should be tested in prospective clinical trials. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Microscopic varicocelectomy as a treatment option for patients with severe oligospermia. [Journal Article]
- ICInvestig Clin Urol 2018; 59(3):182-186
- CONCLUSIONS: Although pregnancy rates after varicocele surgery are lower preoperatively in men with severe OAS than in men with mild or moderate OAS, the spontaneous pregnancy rate of 37.1% still compares very favorably with outcomes after a single attempt at in vitro fertilization.
- The Effect of Different Intraabdominal Pressures on Thiol/Disulfide Homeostasis in Children Who Underwent Ambulatory Laparoscopic Surgery: A Prospective Randomized Study. [Journal Article]
- JLJ Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2018 May 09
- CONCLUSIONS: Neither of 8 nor 12 mm Hg IAPs in pediatric laparoscopic surgery caused any changes in novel indicators of thiol/disulfide homeostasis parameters; however, 12 mm Hg IAP increased the levels of IMA.
- Melatonin therapy adds extra benefit to varicecelectomy in terms of sperm parameters, hormonal profile and total antioxidant capacity: A placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. [Journal Article]
- AAndrologia 2018 May 08; :e13033
- In this study, we aimed at investigating the impact of melatonin supplementation on semen parameters, hormonal profile and total antioxidant capacity after varicocelectomy. Infertile male patients wh...
In this study, we aimed at investigating the impact of melatonin supplementation on semen parameters, hormonal profile and total antioxidant capacity after varicocelectomy. Infertile male patients who were diagnosed with varicocele and underwent subinguinal varicocelectomy were included in the study. After performing subinguinal varicocelectomy, the patients were randomised into two groups: 27 receiving melatonin for 3 months and 27 as the placebo-controlled group receiving placebo for 3 months. The pre-operative parameters of semen analyses, hormonal profile and seminal oxidative stress status of both groups were compared with those of post-operative parameters. There were statistically significant improvements in post-operative parameters of semen analyses (sperm concentration, motility and proportions of normally formed spermatozoa), peripheral blood inhibin B and total antioxidant capacity in melatonin group compared with placebo group. In conclusion, melatonin therapy adds extra benefit to varicecelectomy in terms of sperm parameters, peripheral blood inhibin B and total antioxidant capacity; however, further studies including large number of samples are needed to make a proper decision on melatonin supplementation after varicocelectomy.
New Search Next
- Thrombosed varicocele - a rare cause for acute scrotal pain: a case report. [Journal Article]
- BUBMC Urol 2018 May 08; 18(1):34
- CONCLUSIONS: Spontaneous thrombosis of varicocele is a rare cause of acute scrotal pain. Pain out of proportion to clinical features is characteristic. Patients not responding to medical therapy may need varicocelectomy. Varicocelectomy may give immediate relief. Histopathology is useful in this disorder.