- PROFOUND VISUAL RECOVERY AT 16 MONTHS AFTER RESOLUTION OF SEROUS RETINAL DETACHMENTS SECONDARY TO THROMBOTIC THROMBOCYTOPENIC PURPURA: CASE REPORT AND LITERATURE REVIEW. [Journal Article]
- RCRetin Cases Brief Rep 2018 Feb 22
- CONCLUSIONS: Although thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura is a life-threatening illness, visual prognosis in patients with macula off serous retinal detachments appears excellent. Most cases reviewed in literature improved to baseline visual acuity, but recovery periods ranged from days to many months. Hyperautofluorescent granularity on autofluorescence photography may be an indicator of chronic retinal detachment and a more delayed visual recovery.
- Living-donor liver transplantation for mild Zellweger spectrum disorder: Up to 17 years follow-up. [Case Reports]
- PTPediatr Transplant 2018 Feb 16
- Mild Zellweger spectrum disorder, also described as Infantile Refsum disease, is attributable to mutations in PEX genes. Its clinical course is characterized by progressive hearing and vision loss, a...
Mild Zellweger spectrum disorder, also described as Infantile Refsum disease, is attributable to mutations in PEX genes. Its clinical course is characterized by progressive hearing and vision loss, and neurodevelopmental regression. Supportive management is currently considered the standard of care, as no treatment has shown clinical benefits. LT was shown to correct levels of circulating toxic metabolites, partly responsible for chronic neurological impairment. Of three patients having undergone LT for mild ZSD, one died after LT, while the other two displayed significant neurodevelopmental improvement on both the long-term (17 years post-LT) and short-term (9 months post-LT) follow-up. We documented a sustained improvement of biochemical functions, with a complete normalization of plasma phytanic, pristanic, and pipecolic acid levels. This was associated with stabilization of hearing and visual functions, and improved neurodevelopmental status, which has enabled the older patient to lead a relatively autonomous lifestyle on the long term. The psychomotor acquisitions have been markedly improved as compared to their affected siblings, who did not undergo LT and exhibited a poor neurological outcome with severe disabilities. We speculate that LT performed before the onset of severe sensorineural defects in mild ZSD enables partial metabolic remission and improved long-term clinical outcomes.
- Bilateral Obstructive Uropathy Caused by Congenital Bladder Diverticulum Presenting as Hypertensive Retinopathy. [Case Reports]
- JKJ Korean Med Sci 2018 Feb 19; 33(8):e54
- A congenital bladder diverticulum (CBD) is caused by inherent muscular weakness instead of obstruction of the bladder outlet. The major clinical conditions are recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI)...
A congenital bladder diverticulum (CBD) is caused by inherent muscular weakness instead of obstruction of the bladder outlet. The major clinical conditions are recurrent urinary tract infection (UTI) and voiding dysfunction. This report describes a 15-year-old male adolescent who developed sudden visual disturbance resulting from hypertensive retinopathy. The cause of hypertension was bilateral obstructive uropathy caused by enlarged paraureteral bladder diverticula. After the non-functioning right kidney and ureter and the bilateral diverticula were removed, the left ureter was reimplanted in the bladder. Pathologic findings showed chronic pyelonephritis and partial loss of the bladder musculature in the diverticular wall. This observation indicates that dilated CBD can cause latent UTI, ureteral obstruction, hydronephrosis, and secondary hypertension.
- Vancomycin-associated hemorrhagic occlusive retinal vasculitis: a clinical-pathophysiological analysis. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Ophthalmol 2018 Feb 06
- CONCLUSIONS: HORV is a rare condition that can lead to profound vision loss. Significant ocular pain can be a presenting sign of HORV in cases with severe iris and ciliary body ischemia. Although it has been suggested that HORV is a form of leukocytoclastic retinal vasculitis, the histological findings herein indicate that the pathophysiology is more complex. It is grounded in a necrotizing retinal vasculopathy in the absence of retinal vasculitis, chronic non-granulomatous choroiditis, and an unusual glomeruloid proliferation of endothelial cells in the choroid and elsewhere in the eye.
- Localized Trichiasis Causing Focal Full-Thickness Corneal Edema, Endothelial Cell Loss, and Corneal Scarring Requiring Penetrating Keratoplasty. [Case Reports]
- MEMiddle East Afr J Ophthalmol 2017 Oct-Dec; 24(4):216-218
- The purpose of the study was to report a case of focal trichiasis causing full-thickness corneal edema, scarring, and endothelial cell loss requiring penetrating keratoplasty (PK). A 66-year-old male...
The purpose of the study was to report a case of focal trichiasis causing full-thickness corneal edema, scarring, and endothelial cell loss requiring penetrating keratoplasty (PK). A 66-year-old male was referred for trichiasis of the right upper eyelid corresponding to an area of full-thickness corneal edema. No keratic precipitates or guttata was noted. Specular microscopy showed diffuse endothelial cell loss. He was treated with topical steroids and acyclovir with epilation of lashes. Anterior chamber paracentesis was negative for varicella-zoster virus, cytomegalovirus, and herpes simplex virus. The patient developed diffuse stromal scarring with a decrease in vision and ultimately underwent PK with preceding eyelid repair. To the best of our knowledge, we present the first reported case of chronic trichiasis causing full-thickness corneal edema, scarring, and endothelial cell loss requiring PK.
- Correlates and importance of neglect-like symptoms in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. [Journal Article]
- PAINPain 2018 Feb 05
- Neglect-like symptoms (NLS) are frequently observed in CRPS. The clinical meaning of NLS, however, is largely unknown. Therefore, this study sets out to assess the importance of NLS for patient outco...
Neglect-like symptoms (NLS) are frequently observed in CRPS. The clinical meaning of NLS, however, is largely unknown. Therefore, this study sets out to assess the importance of NLS for patient outcome and to explore their clinical correlates. We assessed NLS in a group of 53 CRPS patients and compared the results to 28 healthy volunteers. In order to define the origin of the NLS reports, we tested the subjective visual midline (SVM), performed a limb-laterality recognition test (LLT), and quantitative sensory testing (QST). In addition, psychological and pain assessment scales were completed. Tests were analyzed with univariate and multivariate approaches. After 6 months, patients were reassessed and the influence of NLS on pain outcome was determined. The majority of patients reported NLS in the questionnaire, while SVM and LLT in contrast to previous studies did not reveal perceptual disturbances. NLS-scores were associated with pain and pain catastrophizing in acute CRPS and anxiety and thermal sensory loss in chronic CRPS. Furthermore, high NLS-scores had a negative impact on pain outcome after 6 months. Our results indicate that NLS have a different meaning in acute and chronic CRPS, and might be of prognostic value. Possibly, treatment should focus on reducing NLS.
- Randomized investigator-blinded comparative study of moisturizer containing 4-t-butylcyclohexanol and licochalcone A versus 0.02% triamcinolone acetonide cream in facial dermatitis. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Cosmet Dermatol 2018 Feb 06
- CONCLUSIONS: The test facial moisturizer was slower than 0.02% TA in improving facial dermatitis, but showed greater benefit in erythema control and skin hydration.
- Expression and activation of mitogen activated protein kinases in the optic nerve head in a rat model of ocular hypertension. [Journal Article]
- MCMol Cell Neurosci 2018 Feb 02
- CONCLUSIONS: In conclusion, each of the MAPKs showed a specific spatio-temporal expression and activation pattern in the retina, ONH and optic nerve as a result of IOP elevation. These findings likely reflect the roles of the individual enzymes, and the cells in which they reside, in the developing pathology following IOP elevation. These data have implications for understanding the mechanisms of ocular pathology in diseases such as glaucoma.
- Evaluating health-related quality of life impact of chronic conditions among older adults from a rural town in Suzhou, China. [Journal Article]
- AGArch Gerontol Geriatr 2018 Feb 02; 76:6-11
- This study aimed to estimate the loss of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) associated with common chronic conditions in older Chinese population.Weitang Geriatric Diseases Study is a community-b...
This study aimed to estimate the loss of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) associated with common chronic conditions in older Chinese population.Weitang Geriatric Diseases Study is a community-based health survey on 5557 Chinese aged 60 years or older. The study population was measured with EQ-5D-3L for HRQOL assessment. We also assessed the coexisting chronic conditions of depression, cognitive dysfunction, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, hyperlipidemia and visual impairment based on self-completed questionnaires, biomarkers and medical records. Ordinary Least Square regression was performed to model the relationship between the conditions and the EQ-5D-3L index scores. The robust standard error (RSE) estimator was adopted to calculate 95% confidence interval (CI) for coefficients. The mean EQ-5D-3L representing overall HRQOL was 0.954 (standard deviation: 0.081) with 70% of participants reporting full health. After controlling for socio-demographic characteristics and comorbidities, depression, stroke, heart disease and cognitive dysfunction had significantly adverse impact on the EQ-5D index score. The respective coefficients (95% CI) of each condition were -0.191 (-0.233, -0.150), -0.052 (-0.086, -0.019), -0.019 (-0.029, -0.010), and -0.016 (-0.024, -0.008). Chronic conditions were found to contribute to HRQOL loss in older Chinese population. The utility and utility decrement estimated can be used for quality-adjusted life-year calculation.
New Search Next
- Papillophlebitis in a young male patient with Buerger's disease. [Journal Article]
- ASArch Soc Esp Oftalmol 2018 Feb 01
- CONCLUSIONS: Papillophlebitis may be an ocular complication of Buerger's disease.