- Subinternal limiting membrane hemorrhage post-Ahmed glaucoma valve in vitrectomized eye. [Journal Article]
- OJOman J Ophthalmol 2018 May-Aug; 11(2):172-174
- Glaucoma drainage devices are mostly used for refractory glaucoma. Early postoperative complications include flat anterior chamber, choroidal effusion, and suprachoroidal hemorrhage. An 8-year-old ma...
Glaucoma drainage devices are mostly used for refractory glaucoma. Early postoperative complications include flat anterior chamber, choroidal effusion, and suprachoroidal hemorrhage. An 8-year-old male patient with a prior history of vitreous surgery for traumatic vitreous hemorrhage, presented to us with angle recession glaucoma in his right eye. His intraocular pressure (IOP) was 44 mmHg despite maximum antiglaucoma medication. Ahmed glaucoma valve (AGV) surgery was performed to control his IOP. In the early postoperative period, the patient developed premacular subinternal limiting membrane (ILM) hemorrhage, which did not resolve even after 4 weeks. Vitreoretinal intervention involving removal of the thickened ILM and sub-ILM bleed had to be performed. To the best of our knowledge, no case has been reported with sub-ILM bleed post aqueous humor shunts. Here, we report a case of premacular sub-ILM bleed following AGV in vitrectomized eye.
- Massive Silicone Oil Migration into the Subconjunctival Space: A Leakage Mechanism Dilemma. [Journal Article]
- CRCase Rep Ophthalmol 2018 May-Aug; 9(2):310-314
- CONCLUSIONS: We discuss the possible leakage mechanisms in this particular case.
- A Case of a Ruptured Eyeball Caused by High-Pressure Water Jets. [Journal Article]
- OSOphthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina 2018 Jun 01; 49(6):451-455
- To report the case of a ruptured eyeball caused by high-pressure water jets. In this study, the right eye of a 49-year-old male was injured by high-pressure water jets while he was engaged in demolit...
To report the case of a ruptured eyeball caused by high-pressure water jets. In this study, the right eye of a 49-year-old male was injured by high-pressure water jets while he was engaged in demolition work. Upon examination, remarkable hyphema and vitreous hemorrhage were observed in the injured eye. After treating the patient's right eye with vitrectomy, in addition to lens subluxation and iridodialysis, retinal detachment was observed at the nasal inferior. The edge of the retinal break was found to be incarcerated into the nasal sclera rupture wounds. The findings of this study indicate that direct exposure to high-pressure water jets can cause a rupture of the eyeball. [Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2018;49:451-455.].
- Ophthalmic Vascular Events after Primary Unilateral Intra-arterial Chemotherapy for Retinoblastoma in Early and Recent Eras. [Journal Article]
- OOphthalmology 2018 Jun 16
- CONCLUSIONS: Ophthalmic vascular events after IAC have decreased from the early era (2009-2011) through the current era (2012-2017) at this center. Experience performing this highly specialized procedure could be an important factor predicting IAC-related vascular events.
- Retinoblastoma in a 37-year-old man: Clinical aspect, imaging and histological features. [Letter]
- JFJ Fr Ophtalmol 2018 Jun 15
- Uveal melanoma – is a biopsy safe and justified? [Journal Article]
- KOKlin Oczna 2016; 118(2):151-4
- Uveal melanoma can be typically diagnosed based on clinical presentation and the A and B mode ultrasound. In some atypical intraocular tumours or for prognostic purposes intraoperative biopsy may be ...
Uveal melanoma can be typically diagnosed based on clinical presentation and the A and B mode ultrasound. In some atypical intraocular tumours or for prognostic purposes intraoperative biopsy may be performed. Uveal melanoma biopsy is not safe in 100% and can cause complications (vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachment and endophthalmitis). Like all biopsies, a biopsy in uveal melanoma biopsy may show limited cellularity and can yield insufficient tissue specimen for histology, cytology and genetic testing. This is most likely in small tumours, below 3 mm in thickness. Another limitation of biopsy-based prognosis is the issue of intratumoural heterogeneity. As a biopsy allows for only a small sample to be removed from the tumour, it is possible to receive false negative results. The most devastating complication of uveal melanoma biopsy is the extraocular spread of the tumour. The study is a review of the current opinions and findings on the role of biopsy in uveal melanoma.
- Visual outcomes and prognostic factors in open-globe injuries. [Journal Article]
- BOBMC Ophthalmol 2018 Jun 08; 18(1):138
- CONCLUSIONS: Poor VA at first visit, rupture globe, zone III injuries, history of penetrating keratoplasty, RD, VH, and dislocation of crystalline lens were found to be poor prognostic factors. PPV had a good prognostic value in open globe injuries associated with posterior segment involvement.
- Incidence and risk factors for retinopathy of prematurity: a retrospective cohort study. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Retina Vitreous 2018; 4:20
- CONCLUSIONS: This study found a significant incidence of ROP (33.9%) in the studied population, and highlighted pulmonary diseases as a significant risk factor for type 1 prethreshold ROP.
- New insights into diabetic retinopathy by OCT angiography. [Review]
- DRDiabetes Res Clin Pract 2018 Jun 04; 142:243-253
- Diabetic retinopathy (DR) is one of the most common diabetic complications, which has become a leading cause for vision loss, mainly because of macular edema and vitreous hemorrhage. Optical coherenc...
Diabetic retinopathy (DR) is one of the most common diabetic complications, which has become a leading cause for vision loss, mainly because of macular edema and vitreous hemorrhage. Optical coherence tomography (OCT) angiography is a novel technique to visualize vascular changes including microaneurysm, non-perfusion area, intraretinal microvascular abnormalities, and neovascularization. Recently, it is possible to quantify vascular density, foveal avascular zone area, non-perfusion area objectively using OCT angiography. In addition, OCT angiography also provides an alternative method to evaluate the effect of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) treatments by providing high resolution images of macular microcirculatory abnormalities. Thus OCT angiography is an effective method to investigate the vascular changes of the disease, and can also be potentially applied in the diagnosis, treatment, and follow up of DR.
New Search Next
- Baerveldt tube shunt implantation through a long scleral tunnel. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Ophthalmol 2018 May 01; :1120672118779483
- CONCLUSIONS: We developed a new technique to place a Baerveldt glaucoma implant tube through a long scleral tunnel. The outcomes were comparable to other reports of Baerveldt glaucoma implant surgery, although the number of cases was limited in this study. A long scleral tunnel can substitute for a preserved scleral patch and self-scleral flap to avoid tube-related complications.