- The Use of Technology in the Clinical Care of Depression: An Evidence Map. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Clin Psychiatry 2018 Aug 21; 79(5)
- CONCLUSIONS: This evidence map provides a broad overview of the existing research evaluating technology in depression care. Computer applications are still most common. Almost all applications yield symptom improvement. More information is needed to evaluate the role of technology in clinical care.
- Advances in the genetics of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adults and the potential clinical implications. [Review]
- ERExpert Rev Hematol 2018; 11(10):781-791
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is a clonal disease of the hematopoietic system characterized by unique genetic characteristics. The significance of these genetic features has evolved over the pas…
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is a clonal disease of the hematopoietic system characterized by unique genetic characteristics. The significance of these genetic features has evolved over the past three decades. In the 1980s and 1990s, the primary interest was in excluding the Philadelphia chromosome; a finding more common in older adults which uniformly predicted for a rapidly fatal outcome. Areas covered: Over the past 15 years, much has evolved. Tyrosine kinase inhibitors completely changed the prognosis of Ph-positive ALL. In addition, the genetic characterization of Ph-negative ALL has significantly advanced through systematic progressive analyses of genetic data from large trial groups. These led to specific and more accurate prognostication, particularly at initial diagnosis. Expert commentary: These cytogenetic and molecular features will be reviewed in this paper and their ongoing significance will be critically analyzed in the era of minimal residual disease (MRD) determination, which has now superseded all the major known historic prognostic factors.
- Telemedicine for diabetic retinopathy screening using an ultra-widefield fundus camera. [Journal Article]
- COClin Ophthalmol 2017; 11:1477-1482
- CONCLUSIONS: The present study has shown the effectiveness of DR screening using UWF fundus camera. It has shown the effectiveness of trained nursing personnel taking fundus images. This model can be replicated in any private multi-specialty hospital and reduce the burden of DR screening in the retina clinic and enhance early detection of treatable DR.
- Efficacy of mindfulness meditation for smoking cessation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. [Review]
- ABAddict Behav 2017; 69:27-34
- CONCLUSIONS: MM did not differ significantly from comparator interventions in their effects on tobacco use. Low-quality evidence, variability in study design among the small number of existing studies, and publication bias suggest that additional, high-quality adequately powered RCTs should be conducted.
- A systematic review of St. John's wort for major depressive disorder. [Review]
- SRSyst Rev 2016 09 02; 5(1):148
- CONCLUSIONS: SJW monotherapy for mild and moderate depression is superior to placebo in improving depression symptoms and not significantly different from antidepressant medication. However, evidence of heterogeneity and a lack of research on severe depression reduce the quality of the evidence. Adverse events reported in RCTs were comparable to placebo and fewer compared with antidepressants. However, assessments were limited due to poor reporting of adverse events and studies were not designed to assess rare events. Consequently, the findings should be interpreted with caution.
- The major proteins of the seed of the fruit of the date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.): Characterisation and emulsifying properties. [Journal Article]
- FCFood Chem 2016 Apr 15; 197(Pt A):799-806
- Proteins were extracted from the seeds of the fruit of the date palm. Proteomic analysis and SDS-PAGE electrophoresis of the extracted proteome suggested it is composed predominantly of the storage p…
Proteins were extracted from the seeds of the fruit of the date palm. Proteomic analysis and SDS-PAGE electrophoresis of the extracted proteome suggested it is composed predominantly of the storage proteins glycinin and β-conglycinin, although over 300 proteins were detected, 91 of which were identified with confidence. In terms of protein type, the largest numbers of proteins were associated, not unexpectedly, with metabolism and energy functions, which reflected the requirements of the germinating and growing embryonic plant. The emulsifying properties of the extracted proteins were determined. Date seed protein exhibited a lower emulsifying activity than either whey protein concentrate or soy protein isolate, at each of the pH values tested. However, the stability of the emulsions produced with all three proteins was very similar at the different pH values. This combination of large emulsion droplet size and high emulsion stability properties suggested that the date proteins may adsorb as large protein oligomers.
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy with simultaneous modulated accelerated boost technique and chemotherapy in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. [Journal Article]
- BCBMC Cancer 2013 Jul 01; 13:318
- CONCLUSIONS: IMRT with SMART in combination with chemotherapy is feasible and effective in terms of both the clinical response and safety profile. EBV, histopathology and nodal involvement were found important prognostic factors for locoregional recurrence.
- Parapharyngeal space hemangiopericytoma treated with surgery and postoperative radiation--a case report. [Case Reports]
- HNHead Neck Oncol 2012 Apr 05; 4:10
- Hemangiopericytoma (HPC) is a rare tumor of uncertain malignant potential arising from mesenchymal cells with pericytic differentiation. It accounts for 3-5% of soft tissue sarcomas and 1% of vascula…
Hemangiopericytoma (HPC) is a rare tumor of uncertain malignant potential arising from mesenchymal cells with pericytic differentiation. It accounts for 3-5% of soft tissue sarcomas and 1% of vascular tumors. It usually presents in 5th to 6th decade of life. Most common sites are limbs, pelvis and head and neck. About 20% of all hemangiopericytomas are seen in head and neck, mostly in adults. Usually it presents in orbit, nasal cavity, oral cavity, jaw, parotid gland, parapharyngeal space, masticator space and jugular foramen. Long term follow up is important because of imprecise nature of the histological criteria for prediction of biologic behavior.We report herein a case of HPC in 66-year-old man, who presented in our department with headache, nasal obstruction and dysphagia. A neck computer tomography scan and magnetic resonance imaging showed a large left parapharyngeal mass bulging into nasopharynx and oropharynx with extension to pharyngeal mucosal surface and causing narrowing of airways and total obstruction of left posterior nostril. Angiography showed a highly vascular neoplasm. Initially he was managed as a case of schwannoma and embolization was done but with no response. An attempt to do complete surgical resection was made, but due to its critical position, it was not possible. During surgery, highly vascularised tumor was found. The histopathologic examination revealed a vascular tumor consistent with hemangiopericytoma G-II. The patient had normal postoperative course of healing and was given adjuvant radiation. He is on regular follow up without signs of recurrence or metastases.In summary, parapharyngeal space is a rare site of presentation for hemangiopericytoma which is highly vascular tumor, requiring extensive work up including magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography scan and angiography. Complete surgical excision should be attempted. Postoperative radiation is indicated in cases of incomplete resection.
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of thyroid: a case report and review of literature. [Case Reports]
- HNHead Neck Oncol 2012 Mar 27; 4:8
- CONCLUSIONS: Primary SCC of thyroid is rare and aggressive entity. FNAC is reliable and effective tool for immediate diagnosis. Surgery is a curative option, but it is not always possible as most of cases present as locally advanced with adjacent organs involvement. EBRT alone was found ineffective. Aggressive combined modality (debulking surgery, radiation and chemotherapy) shall be considered for such cases.
New Search Next
- Facilities for music education and their acoustical design. [Journal Article]
- IJInt J Occup Saf Ergon 2010; 16(1):93-104
- Good rehearsal facilities for musicians are essential. Directive 2003/10/EC necessitates that musicians are protected from noise exposure. A code of conduct gives the guidelines how this should be do…
Good rehearsal facilities for musicians are essential. Directive 2003/10/EC necessitates that musicians are protected from noise exposure. A code of conduct gives the guidelines how this should be done. This study examines room acoustics recommendations provided by the Finnish code of conduct, and discusses whether they are adequate. Small teaching facilities were measured after renovation and compared to earlier measurements. Teachers' opinions were inquired about the facilities before and after. The renovation did not decrease the noise exposure of the teachers. However, the majority preferred the facilities after the renovation. The Finnish code of conduct is not sufficient for facilities where loud instruments are played, or band practise. Good facilities can be designed but they must be specified at the designing stage for their intended use.