- Nuclear Organization in the Spinal Cord Depends on Motor Neuron Lamination Orchestrated by Catenin and Afadin Function. [Journal Article]
- CRCell Rep 2018 Feb 13; 22(7):1681-1694
- Motor neurons in the spinal cord are found grouped in nuclear structures termed pools, whose position is precisely orchestrated during development. Despite the emerging role of pool organization in t...
Motor neurons in the spinal cord are found grouped in nuclear structures termed pools, whose position is precisely orchestrated during development. Despite the emerging role of pool organization in the assembly of spinal circuits, little is known about the morphogenetic programs underlying the patterning of motor neuron subtypes. We applied three-dimensional analysis of motor neuron position to reveal the roles and contributions of cell adhesive function by inactivating N-cadherin, catenin, and afadin signaling. Our findings reveal that nuclear organization of motor neurons is dependent on inside-out positioning, orchestrated by N-cadherin, catenin, and afadin activities, controlling cell body layering on the medio-lateral axis. In addition to this lamination-like program, motor neurons undergo a secondary, independent phase of organization. This process results in segregation of motor neurons along the dorso-ventral axis of the spinal cord, does not require N-cadherin or afadin activity, and can proceed even when medio-lateral positioning is perturbed.
- A review of effective herbal medicines in controlling menopausal symptoms. [Review]
- EPElectron Physician 2017; 9(11):5826-5833
- CONCLUSIONS: Medicinal plants can play an imperative role in the treatment of acute menopausal syndrome; however, further studies are required to buttress their efficacy in the treatment of acute menopausal syndrome.
- Extracellular chromone derivatives in cell cultures of Pimpinella anisum. Influence of elicitation with methyl jasmonate and 2β-methyl cyclodextrins. [Journal Article]
- BLBiotechnol Lett 2018; 40(2):413-418
- CONCLUSIONS: The significant amounts of eugenin obtained in the anise cultures and the stability of production over long periods of time can be of interest for its biotechnological production and for future studies on biosynthesis regulation.
- Phantom validation of quantitative Y-90 PET/CT-based dosimetry in liver radioembolization. [Journal Article]
- EREJNMMI Res 2017 Nov 28; 7(1):94
- CONCLUSIONS: Patient-specific dosimetry is possible even in a scenario with low true coincidences and high random fraction, as in 90Y-PET imaging, granted that accurate absolute PET calibration is performed and acquisition times are sufficiently long. Despite Monte Carlo calculations seeming to outperform all dose estimation algorithms, our data provide a strong argument for encouraging the use of the local deposition algorithm for routine 90Y dosimetry based on PET/CT imaging, due to its simplicity of implementation.
- Comparing safety information of biosimilars with their originators: a cross-sectional analysis of European risk management plans. [Journal Article]
- BJBr J Clin Pharmacol 2017 Nov 22
- CONCLUSIONS: Based on publicly available information filed for regulatory purposes, no substantial differences were observed in the reporting of safety information for biosimilars and related originators. A direct comparison between biosimilars and related originators through formal postmarketing studies is needed to evaluate specific safety issues emerging during the products' life cycle.
- OVERVIEW OF NEUTRON MEASUREMENTS IN JET FUSION DEVICE. [Journal Article]
- RPRadiat Prot Dosimetry 2017 Oct 05; :1-7
- The design and operation of ITER experimental fusion reactor requires the development of neutron measurement techniques and numerical tools to derive the fusion power and the radiation field in the d...
The design and operation of ITER experimental fusion reactor requires the development of neutron measurement techniques and numerical tools to derive the fusion power and the radiation field in the device and in the surrounding areas. Nuclear analyses provide essential input to the conceptual design, optimisation, engineering and safety case in ITER and power plant studies. The required radiation transport calculations are extremely challenging because of the large physical extent of the reactor plant, the complexity of the geometry, and the combination of deep penetration and streaming paths. This article reports the experimental activities which are carried-out at JET to validate the neutronics measurements methods and numerical tools used in ITER and power plant design. A new deuterium-tritium campaign is proposed in 2019 at JET: the unique 14 MeV neutron yields produced will be exploited as much as possible to validate measurement techniques, codes, procedures and data currently used in ITER design thus reducing the related uncertainties and the associated risks in the machine operation.
- Is the PTW 60019 microDiamond a suitable candidate for small field reference dosimetry? [Journal Article]
- PMPhys Med Biol 2017 Aug 09; 62(17):7036-7055
- A systematic study of the PTW microDiamond (MD) output factors (OF) is reported, aimed at clarifying its response in small fields and investigating its suitability for small field reference dosimetry...
A systematic study of the PTW microDiamond (MD) output factors (OF) is reported, aimed at clarifying its response in small fields and investigating its suitability for small field reference dosimetry. Ten MDs were calibrated under60Co irradiation. OF measurements were performed in 6 MV photon beams by a CyberKnife M6, a Varian DHX and an Elekta Synergy linacs. Two PTW silicon diodes E (Si-D) were used for comparison. The results obtained by the MDs were evaluated in terms of absorbed dose to water determination in reference conditions and OF measurements, and compared to the results reported in the recent literature. To this purpose, the Monte Carlo (MC) beam-quality correction factor, [Formula: see text], was calculated for the MD, and the small field output correction factors, [Formula: see text], were calculated for both the MD and the Si-D by two different research groups. An empirical function was also derived, providing output correction factors within 0.5% from the MC values calculated for all of the three linacs. A high reproducibility of the dosimetric properties was observed among the ten MDs. The experimental [Formula: see text] values are in agreement within 1% with the MC calculated ones. Output correction factors within +0.7% and -1.4% were obtained down to field sizes as narrow as 5 mm. The resulting MD and Si-D field factors are in agreement within 0.2% in the case of CyberKnife measurements and 1.6% in the other cases. This latter higher spread of the data was demonstrated to be due to a lower reproducibility of small beam sizes defined by jaws or multi leaf collimators. The results of the present study demonstrate the reproducibility of the MD response and provide a validation of the MC modelling of this device. In principle, accurate reference dosimetry is thus feasible by using the microDiamond dosimeter for field sizes down to 5 mm.
- Characterization and Influence of Green Synthesis of Nano-Sized Zinc Complex with 5-Aminolevulinic Acid on Bioactive Compounds of Aniseed. [Journal Article]
- CBChem Biodivers 2017; 14(11)
- A new water soluble zinc-aminolevulinic acid nano complex (n[Zn(ALA)2 ]), which was characterized by TEM, IR, and EDX spectra, has been prepared via sonochemical method under green conditions in wate...
A new water soluble zinc-aminolevulinic acid nano complex (n[Zn(ALA)2 ]), which was characterized by TEM, IR, and EDX spectra, has been prepared via sonochemical method under green conditions in water. In the current study, the effectiveness of foliar Zn amendment using synthetic Zn-ALA nano complex, as a new introduced Zn-fertilizer here, was evaluated. As the model plant, Pimpinella anisum, the most valuable spice and medicinal plant grown in warm regions, was used. By using zinc nano complex, further twenty compounds were obtained in the essential oil of anise plants. Application of 0.2% (w/v) Zn-ALA nano complex increased the levels of (E)-anethole, β-bisabolene, germacrene D, methyl chavicol, and α-zingiberene in the essential oil. Nano Zn complex at the rate of 0.2% induced considerable high phenolic compounds and zinc content of shoots and seeds. Chlorogenic acid had the highest level between four detected phenolic compounds. The maximum antioxidant activity was monitored through the application of Zn nano complex. According to the results, nanoscale nutrients can be provided with further decreased doses for medicinal plants. Using Zn-ALA nano complex is a new and efficient method to improve the pharmaceutical and food properties of anise plants.
- Breastfeeding: A Review of Its Physiology and Galactogogue Plants in View of Traditional Persian Medicine. [Journal Article]
- BMBreastfeed Med 2017; 12(7):401-409
- CONCLUSIONS: The use of traditional knowledge can pave the way toward finding effective phytopharmaceuticals for increasing breast milk.
New Search Next
- Use of PTW-microDiamond for relative dosimetry of unflattened photon beams. [Journal Article]
- PMPhys Med 2017; 38:45-53
- CONCLUSIONS: MicroDiamond showed optimal characteristics for relative dosimetry even under high dose rate beams. The effects due to dose per pulse dependence up to 2.2mGy/pulse are negligible. Compared to other detectors, microDiamond provides accurate OF measurements in the whole range of field sizes. For fields <1cm correction factors accounting for fluence perturbation and volume averaging could be required.