- Effective delayed percutaneous coronary intervention for advanced atrial ventricular block in patients with recent myocardial infarction. [Journal Article]
- JCJ Cardiol Cases 2012; 6(3):e84-e87
- We present a case of effective late reperfusion for atrio-ventricular conduction recovery in a patient with recent myocardial infarction complicated by advanced atrio-ventricular block (AVB). A 50-ye...
We present a case of effective late reperfusion for atrio-ventricular conduction recovery in a patient with recent myocardial infarction complicated by advanced atrio-ventricular block (AVB). A 50-year-old Japanese man was transferred to our hospital with a recent diagnosis of myocardial infarction 44 h after onset. We performed emergent coronary angiography on Day 5 because he developed bradycardia with two to one advanced AVB resistant to atropine without chest pain or ST-T changes. Coronary angiography showed the right coronary artery (RCA) with total proximal occlusion. Emergent percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) was performed to the RCA. Just after PCI, the PR interval was shortened to 0.25 s. Moreover, the PR interval was shortened to 0.18 s at Day 16. This report shows the new finding that delayed PCI may be effective in patients with recent myocardial infarction complicated by new AVB outside of the usual therapeutic window of 12 h.
- Epidemiology of myopia and prevention of myopia progression in children in East Asia: a review. [Review]
- HKHong Kong Med J 2018 Dec 03
- CONCLUSIONS: Although various methods are effective for controlling myopia progression in children, no curative remedy exists for myopia. Health care professionals should be aware of the available methods, as well as their risks and benefits. Treatment should be individualised and based on the preferences of the patient's family, after full discussion of the risks and benefits of each modality.
- A Pilot Project Using Eye-Tracking Technology to Design a Standardised Anaesthesia Workspace. [Journal Article]
- TJTurk J Anaesthesiol Reanim 2018; 46(6):411-415
- CONCLUSIONS: Gaze fixation analyses showed that anaesthesiologists identified locations for the laryngoscope and propofol within easy reach and emergency medications further away. Because eye tracking can provide objective data to influence the design process, it may be useful when developing standardised anaesthesia workspace templates for individual practices.
- Superdiluted atropine at 0.01% reduces progression in children and adolescents. A 5 year study of safety and effectiveness. [Letter]
- ASArch Soc Esp Oftalmol 2018 Dec 01
- Low-Concentration Atropine for Myopia Progression (LAMP) Study: A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Trial of 0.05%, 0.025%, and 0.01% Atropine Eye Drops in Myopia Control. [Journal Article]
- OOphthalmology 2018 Jul 06
- CONCLUSIONS: The 0.05%, 0.025%, and 0.01% atropine eye drops reduced myopia progression along a concentration-dependent response. All concentrations were well tolerated without an adverse effect on vision-related quality of life. Of the 3 concentrations used, 0.05% atropine was most effective in controlling SE progression and AL elongation over a period of 1 year.
- Pulmonary Vein Ganglia Are Remodeled in the Diabetic Heart. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Am Heart Assoc 2018 Dec 04; 7(23):e008919
- Background Cardiac autonomic neuropathy is thought to cause adverse cardiovascular effects in diabetes mellitus. Pulmonary vein ganglia ( PVG ), which have been implicated in normal and abnormal hear...
Background Cardiac autonomic neuropathy is thought to cause adverse cardiovascular effects in diabetes mellitus. Pulmonary vein ganglia ( PVG ), which have been implicated in normal and abnormal heart rhythm regulation, have not been fully investigated in type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1D). We examined the functional and anatomical effects of T1D on PVG and studied the details of T1D-induced remodeling on the PVG structure and function. Methods and Results We used a mouse model of T1D (Akita mouse), immunofluorescence, isolated Langendorff-perfused hearts, and mathematical simulations to explore the effects of T1D on PVG . Whole-mount atrial immunofluorescence of choline acetyltransferase and tyrosine hydroxylase labeling showed that sympathetic and parasympathetic somas of the PVG neurons were significantly hypotrophied in T1D hearts versus wild type. Stimulation of PVG in isolated Langendorff-perfused hearts caused more pronounced P-P interval prolongation in wild type compared with Akita hearts. Propranolol resulted in a comparable P-P prolongation in both phenotypes, and atropine led to more pronounced P-P interval shortening in wild type compared with Akita hearts. Numerical modeling using network simulations revealed that a decrease in the sympathetic and parasympathetic activities of PVG in T1D could explain the experimental results. Conclusions T1D leads to PVG remodeling with hypotrophy of sympathetic and parasympathetic cell bodies and a concomitant decrease in the PVG sympathetic and parasympathetic activities.
- Absence of the foveal avascular zone in a nanophthalmic child revealed by optical coherence tomography angiography. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Ophthalmol Case Rep 2019; 13:34-37
- CONCLUSIONS: OCTA is a useful technique to reveal the absence of the FAZ in cases of nanophthalmos. Because OCTA is a non-invasive and rapid procedure that is ideal for use with children.
- Electro convulsive therapy: Modification of its effect on the autonomic nervous system using anti-cholinergic drugs. [Journal Article]
- PRPsychiatry Res 2018 Nov 23; 271:239-246
- The antidepressant efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is correlated to the quality of the seizure as measured by EEG but has also been linked to the magnitude of changes in hemodynamic varia...
The antidepressant efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is correlated to the quality of the seizure as measured by EEG but has also been linked to the magnitude of changes in hemodynamic variables. Muscarinic receptor antagonists are frequently used in the treatment, and are known to affect the hemodynamic response. We hypothesized that atropine and glycopyrrolate alter the hemodynamic and autonomic hormonal response to ECT. In a randomized, cross-over study design 23 patients received either atropine, glycopyrrolate or placebo before ECT. Hemodynamic variable, EEG and EMG, and blood adrenaline, noradrenaline and pancreatic polypeptide was determined. No geriatric patients were included. Hemodynamic changes with ECT can be divided into three phases: Drop in blood pressure and pulse rate in 1st post-stimulus phase was less when using 1 mg atropine. In 2nd post-stimulus phase atropine gave a higher systolic blood pressure. No differences were seen in hormone levels after ECT in the three interventions. A significant longer tonic clonic seizure was seen in the glycopyrrolate group and a tendency of the same was seen with atropine. The study found that the changes in hemodynamic variables induced by ECT can be altered by concomitant administration of muscarinic receptor antagonist.
- A low GLP-1 response among patients treated for acute organophosphate and carbamate poisoning: a comparative cross-sectional study from an agrarian region of Sri Lanka. [Journal Article]
- ESEnviron Sci Pollut Res Int 2018 Nov 29
- Higher incidence of diabetes along with increased use of pesticides is seen in Southeast Asia. Recent hypothesis postulated a link between acetylcholinesterase inhibitor insecticides and type 2 diabe...
Higher incidence of diabetes along with increased use of pesticides is seen in Southeast Asia. Recent hypothesis postulated a link between acetylcholinesterase inhibitor insecticides and type 2 diabetes through the GLP-1 pathway. This study compares the GLP-1 response between groups with low and high red blood cell acetylcholinesterase (RBC-AChE) activity. A comparative cross-sectional study was conducted amongst patients who were within 3 months after an acute organophosphate or carbamate poisoning (acute group) and amongst vegetable farmers with low (chronic group) and high (control group) RBC-AChE activity. Acute (366 mU/μM Hb) and chronic (361 mU/μM Hb) groups had significantly lower RBC-AChE activity in comparison to the control (471 mU/μM Hb) group (P < 0.0001). Only the acute group, which has had atropine therapy, showed a significantly lower 120 min value in comparison to the control group (P = 0.0028). Also, the acute group had significantly low late (P = 0.0287) and total (P = 0.0358) responses of GLP-1 in comparison to the control group. The findings of the study allude towards attenuation of GLP-1 response amongst patients after acute organophosphate and carbamate poisoning. The possibility of an atropine-mediated attenuation of GLP-1 response was discussed.
New Search Next
- [Effects of methyl jasmonate on metabolism of topical alkaloids and expression of relate genes in Atropa belladonna]. [Journal Article]
- ZZZhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 2018; 43(20):4044-4049
- Hyoscyamine and scopolamine are important secondary metabolites of tropane alkaloid in Atropa belladonna with pharmacological values in many aspects.In this study, the seedlings of A.belladonna were ...
Hyoscyamine and scopolamine are important secondary metabolites of tropane alkaloid in Atropa belladonna with pharmacological values in many aspects.In this study, the seedlings of A.belladonna were planted by soil culture and treated with different concentrations of methyl jasmonate (MeJA). The contents of hyoscyamine and scopolamine,the upstream products in alkaloid synthesis,and the expression levels of key enzyme genes PMT, TR Ⅰ and H6H in secondary metabolites of A. belladonna seedlings were measured to clarify the mechanism of MeJA regulating alkaloids synthesis.The results showed that MeJA(200 μmol·L⁻¹) treatment was more favorable for the accumulation of alkaloids.The content of putrescine was almost consistent with the change of key enzymes activities in the synthesis of putrescine,the both increased first and then decreased with the increased MeJA concentration and the content of putrescine reached the highest at 200 μmol·L⁻¹ MeJA.Further detection of gene expression of PMT, TR Ⅰ and H6H in TAs synthesis pathway showed that no significant trend in PMT gene expression levels.The expression levels of TR Ⅰ and H6H in leaves and roots under 200 μmol·L⁻¹ MeJA were the highest.It can be speculated that the regulation of the formation of hyoscyamine and scopolamine by MeJA mainly through affecting the expression of key enzyme genes.Appropriate concentration of MeJA increased the gene expression of TR Ⅰ in both leaves and roots as well as H6H in roots,promoting the accumulation of alkaloids and the conversion of hyoscyamine to scopolamine.