- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose PET/computed tomography in locoregional staging and assessment of biological and clinical aggressiveness of breast cancer subtypes. [Journal Article]Nucl Med Commun 2019NM
- CONCLUSIONS: High values of AUC, sensitivity, specificity, NPV and PPV encourage utilization of PET/CT for locoregional staging of nonmetastatic breast carcinoma. The significant correlation between the primary tumor SUVmax value and grade, ER status, PR status and Ki-67 level increases the prognostic predictive value of the preoperative PET/CT.
- A short follow-up of prosthesis-based breast reconstruction using TiLOOP® Bra surgical mesh. [Journal Article]Niger J Clin Pract 2019; 22(8):1115-1119NJ
- CONCLUSIONS: This titanium-coated polypropylene mesh showed acceptable complications and could be used safely in prosthesis-based breast reconstruction by stabilizing the implant pocket. Longer follow-up data and more randomized trials are necessary to determine the clinical use of this mesh.
- A patient- and assessor-blinded randomized controlled trial of axillary reverse mapping (ARM) in patients with early breast cancer. [Journal Article]Eur J Surg Oncol 2019EJ
- CONCLUSIONS: In contrast to results of volumetric measurement, patient reported outcomes support selective sparing of the upper extremity lymphatic drainage using ARM as valuable surgical refinement in case of ALND in clinically node negative, sentinel node positive early breast cancer. If completion ALND in clinically node negative, sentinel node positive early breast cancer is considered, selective sparing of upper extremity axillary lymphatics by implementing ARM should be carried out in order to reduce morbidity.
- The All but Forgotten Mascagni-Sappey Pathway: Learning from Immediate Lymphatic Reconstruction. [Journal Article]J Reconstr Microsurg 2019JR
- CONCLUSIONS: In this study, variable drainage of the lateral upper arm to the axillary bed was noted. This study is the first to provide a description of intraoperative findings, demonstrating variable drainage patterns of upper extremity lymphatics to the axilla. Moreover, we noted that the lateral- and medial-upper arm lymphosomes have mutually exclusive pathways draining to the axilla. Further study of lymphatic anatomy variability may elucidate the pathophysiology of lymphedema development and influence approaches to immediate lymphatic reconstruction.
- Characteristics Associated with Pathologic Nodal Burden in Patients Presenting with Clinical Melanoma Nodal Metastasis. [Journal Article]Ann Surg Oncol 2019AS
- CONCLUSIONS: The majority of patients with one cLN from melanoma by preoperative imaging will harbor no additional pathologic nodes on CLND. Safety of nodal observation after clinical nodal excision in these patients, particularly in an era of effective adjuvant therapies, deserves prospective evaluation.
- Diagnostic application of patent blue V in sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer - Is it time for a change? [Journal Article]Indian J Cancer 2019 Jul-Sep; 56(3):269-270IJ
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) was introduced in the 1990s, as a minimally invasive procedure for staging the axilla with less morbidity to the traditional axillary lymph node dissection and is now standard management of the axilla in the early breast cancer. SLNB using the combined technique of blue dye and radioisotope is currently the recommended method for lymphatic mapping, and studies ha…
Sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) was introduced in the 1990s, as a minimally invasive procedure for staging the axilla with less morbidity to the traditional axillary lymph node dissection and is now standard management of the axilla in the early breast cancer. SLNB using the combined technique of blue dye and radioisotope is currently the recommended method for lymphatic mapping, and studies have shown high identification rates (IR) (>95%) and low false-negative rates (FNR) 5-10%. However, there are several reports raising awareness regarding patent blue V dye-induced peri-operative anaphylaxis. The main aim of this article is to highlight the emergence of patent blue dye as a new allergen and present evidence regarding the utility of alternative safer methods of evaluation of early breast cancer without compromising IR.
- Prognostic significance of residual nodal burden using lymph node ratio in locally advanced breast cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. [Journal Article]Indian J Cancer 2019 Jul-Sep; 56(3):228-235IJ
- CONCLUSIONS: Residual nodal disease after NAC analysed by LNRC or LNR = 0.25 cut-off value, is prognostic and can discriminate between favourable and unfavourable outcomes for TNBC and Her2+ breast cancers.
New Search Next
- Is the frozen section examination for sentinel lymph node necessary in early breast cancer patients? [Journal Article]Ann Surg Treat Res 2019; 97(2):49-57AS
- CONCLUSIONS: Most patients were not indicated for axillary lymph node dissection. Some patients may show transition in their permanent pathology due to the size of the metastatic node. However, the false-negative results of FSE for SLNs based on the size of the metastatic node did not change our practice. Therefore, intraoperative FSE for SLN should not be routinely performed for all breast cancer patients.