- Form follows function: estimation of CSF flow in the third ventricle-aqueduct-fourth ventricle complex modeled as a diffuser/nozzle pump. [Journal Article]J Neurosurg 2019; :1-8JN
- CONCLUSIONS: This work suggests that the geometry of the third ventricle-aqueduct-fourth ventricle complex, which resembles a diverter, appears to be functional in the generation of a net craniocaudal flow and potentially has an impact on CSF dynamics. These conclusions can be drawn by observing the analogies between the shape of the ventricles and the geometry of DN pumps and by recognizing the basis of the mathematical model of the simplified third ventricle-aqueduct-fourth ventricle complex proposed.
- The climatology of aerosol optical thickness and radiative effects in Southeast Asia from 18-years of ground-based observations. [Journal Article]Environ Pollut 2019; 254(Pt A):113025EP
- The present study utilizes 18 years of long-term (2001-2018) data collected from six active AERONET sites over the Indo-Gangetic Plain (IGP) and the North China Plain (NCP) areas in Southeast Asia. The annual mean (±SD) aerosol optical thickness at 440 nm (AOT440) was found high at XiangHe (0.92 ± 0.69) and Taihu (0.90 ± 0.51) followed by Beijing (0.81 ± 0.69), Lahore (0.81 ± 0.43), and Kanpur (0…
The present study utilizes 18 years of long-term (2001-2018) data collected from six active AERONET sites over the Indo-Gangetic Plain (IGP) and the North China Plain (NCP) areas in Southeast Asia. The annual mean (±SD) aerosol optical thickness at 440 nm (AOT440) was found high at XiangHe (0.92 ± 0.69) and Taihu (0.90 ± 0.51) followed by Beijing (0.81 ± 0.69), Lahore (0.81 ± 0.43), and Kanpur (0.73 ± 0.35) and low at Karachi (0.52 ± 0.23). Seasonally, high AOT440 with corresponding high Ångström exponent (ANG440-870) noticed during JJA for all sites, except Kanpur, suggesting the dominance of fine-mode particles, generally associated with large anthropogenic emissions. Climatologically, an increasing (decreasing) trend was observed over IGP (NCP) sites, with the highest (lowest) percentage of departures in AOT440 found over Beijing (Karachi). We further identified major aerosol types which showed the dominance of biomass burning, urban-industrial followed by the mixed type of aerosols. In addition, single scattering albedo (SSA), asymmetry parameter (ASP), volume size distribution (VSD), and complex aerosol refractive index (RI) showed significant temporal and spectral changes, illustrating the complexity of aerosol types. At last, the annual mean direct aerosol radiative forcing at the top, bottom, and within the atmosphere for all sites were found in the range from -17.36 ± 3.75 to -45.17 ± 4.87 W m-2, -64.6 ± 4.86 to -93.7 ± 10.27 W m-2, and 40.5 ± 6.43 to 68.25 ± 7.26 W m-2, respectively, with an averaged atmospheric heating rate of 0.9-2.3 K day-1. A large amount of anthropogenic aerosols showed a significant effect of heating (cooling) on the atmosphere (surface) results obviously, due to an increased rate of atmospheric heating. Therefore, the thermodynamic effects of anthropogenic aerosols on the atmospheric circulation and its structure should be taken into consideration for future study over the experimental sites.
- Determination of aneurysm volume critical for stability after coil embolization: A retrospective study of 3530 aneurysms. [Journal Article]World Neurosurg 2019WN
- CONCLUSIONS: In our series of cerebral aneurysms treated with coil embolization, 500 mm3 was found to be the critical volume determining stability after coil embolization. Large volume aneurysms in the posterior circulation were especially prone to recanalization after coiling.
- Interleukin-1 blockade treatment decreasing cardiovascular risk. [Journal Article]Clin Cardiol 2019CC
- CONCLUSIONS: Administration of IL-1 blockage was associated with decrease risks of overall MACE, unstable angina, and breakthrough or recurrence of heart failure, but not with death from all cause as well as acute MI.
- Periodicity, time constants of drainage and the mechanical determinants of peak cardiac output during exercise. [Journal Article]J Appl Physiol (1985) 2019JA
- To analyse the mechanical adaptations in the cardiovascular system that must occur to reach the high cardiac outputs seen at peak aerobic performance, we adapted a computational model of the circulation by adding a second parallel venous compartment as proposed by August Krogh in 1912. One venous compartment has a large compliance and slow time constant of emptying; it is representative of the sp…
To analyse the mechanical adaptations in the cardiovascular system that must occur to reach the high cardiac outputs seen at peak aerobic performance, we adapted a computational model of the circulation by adding a second parallel venous compartment as proposed by August Krogh in 1912. One venous compartment has a large compliance and slow time constant of emptying; it is representative of the splanchnic circulation. The other has a low compliance and fast time constant of emptying and is representative of muscle beds. Fractional distribution between the two compartments is an important determinant of cardiac output. Parameters in the model were based on values from animal and human studies normalized to a 70 kg male. The baseline cardiac output was 5 L/min and 25 L/min at equivalent of peak exercise with a fractional flow to the peripheral-muscle region of 90 %. Finally, we added the equivalent of a muscle pump. Adjustments in circuit and cardiac parameters alone increased cardiac output to 15.6 L/min. Accumulation of volume in the muscle compartment limited cardiac output. Addition of muscle contractions decompressed this region and allowed cardiac output to increase to 23.4 L/min. Adaptations of cardiac and circulatory functions must be closely matched to achieve the high cardiac outputs observed during peak aerobic exercise. Muscle contractions play a key role by decompressing volume that would otherwise accumulate in the muscle vasculature and by decreasing the time of the stroke return that fills the right ventricle.
- Peyronie's Disease is common in poorly controlled diabetics but is not associated with the Metabolic Syndrome. [Journal Article]Urol Ann 2019 Jul-Sep; 11(3):252-256UA
- CONCLUSIONS: While MS was not associated with PD, diabetes, particularly poorly controlled diabetes, was associated with an increased rate. Further research into the interaction of PD and metabolic disease is warranted.
- Utility and Validity of Intracoronary Administration of Nicorandil Alone for the Measurement of Fractional Flow Reserve in Patients With Intermediate Coronary Stenosis. [Journal Article]Circ J 2019CJ
- CONCLUSIONS: ICNIC2 mg produced a more pronounced hyperemia than continuous IV ATP, and might be the preferred method for assessment of FFR.
- Effects of GB34 acupuncture on hyperventilation-induced carbon dioxide reactivity and cerebral blood flow velocity in the anterior and middle cerebral arteries of normal subjects. [Journal Article]Acupunct Med 2019; :acupmed2017011474AM
- CONCLUSIONS: GB34 acupuncture treatment increased CO2 reactivity specifically in the ipsilateral MCA, but had no effect on either the ACAs or the contralateral MCA. These data suggest that GB34 acupuncture treatment improves the vasodilatory potential of the cerebral vasculature to compensate for fluctuations caused by changes in external conditions and could potentially be useful for the treatment of disorders of the ipsilateral MCA circulation.
- Safety and Efficacy of Stent-assisted Coiling in the Treatment of Unruptured Wide-necked Intracranial Aneurysms: A Single-center Experience. [Journal Article]Cureus 2019; 11(6):e4847C
- CONCLUSIONS: SAC remains a safe and effective technique to treat wide-necked IAs, providing a low rate of complications and recanalization with excellent long-term aneurysm occlusion rates.
New Search Next
- [Value of virtual reality technology in preoperative planning of transtrochanteric curved varus osteotomy for avascular necrosis of femoral head in adults]. [Journal Article]Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 2019; 33(8):923-928ZX
- CONCLUSIONS: VR technology is a brand-new preoperative planning method for transtrochanteric curved varus osteotomy in treating ANFH.