- Curious discoveries in antiviral drug development: the role of serendipity. [Review]
- MRMed Res Rev 2015; 35(4):698-719
- Antiviral drug development has often followed a curious meandrous route, guided by serendipity rather than rationality. This will be illustrated by ten examples. The polyanionic compounds (i) polyeth…
Antiviral drug development has often followed a curious meandrous route, guided by serendipity rather than rationality. This will be illustrated by ten examples. The polyanionic compounds (i) polyethylene alanine (PEA) and (ii) suramin were designed as an antiviral agent (PEA) or known as an antitrypanosomal agent (suramin), before they emerged as, respectively, a depilatory agent, or reverse transcriptase inhibitor. The 2',3'-dideoxynucleosides (ddNs analogues) (iii) have been (and are still) used in the "Sanger" DNA sequencing technique, although they are now commercialized as nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) in the treatment of HIV infections. (E)-5-(2-Bromovinyl)-2'-deoxyuridine (iv) was discovered as a selective anti-herpes simplex virus compound and is now primarily used for the treatment of varicella-zoster virus infections. The prototype of the acyclic nucleoside phosphonates (ANPs), (S)-9-(3-hydroxy-2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl)adenine [(S)-HPMPA], (v) was never commercialized, although it gave rise to several marketed products (cidofovir, adefovir, and tenofovir). 1-[2-(Hydroxyethoxy)methyl]-6-(phenylthio)thymine (vi) and TIBO (tetrahydroimidazo[4,5,1-jk][1,4-benzodiazepin-2(1H)]-one and -thione) (vii) paved the way to a number of compounds (i.e., nevirapine, delavirdine, etravirine, and rilpivirine), which are now collectively called non-NRTIs. The bicyclam AMD3100 (viii) was originally described as an anti-HIV agent before it became later marketed as a stem cell mobilizer. The S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase inhibitors (ix), while active against a broad range of (-)RNA viruses and poxviruses may be particularly effective against Ebola virus, and for (x) the O-ANP derivatives, the potential application range encompasses virtually all DNA viruses.
- Bite marks: physical properties of ring adhesion to skin-phase 1. [Journal Article]
- JFJ Forensic Sci 2011; 56 Suppl 1:S214-9
- Unsupported excised skin may shrink by as much as 50% or more. In 1981, a method was developed for ring adhesion to skin with the goal of minimizing tissue distortion upon excision. Five modified ver…
Unsupported excised skin may shrink by as much as 50% or more. In 1981, a method was developed for ring adhesion to skin with the goal of minimizing tissue distortion upon excision. Five modified versions of the technique bearing the author's name followed (Dorion types I, II, III, IV, and V). The scientific literature reveals little supporting empirical evidence for the preferential use of one adhesive/suturing technique over another. This study compares the use of various bonding materials (Loctite Super Glue gel(®) , Dermabond™, Vetbond™), cleaning agents (ethanol, dishwashing liquid, and shaving cream), and depilatory (Veet(®)) on the effects of ring adhesion to skin. The conclusions indicate that surface wetness is the most influential factor affecting ring adhesion to skin, followed by the type of bonding material, its "freshness," and by the cleaning agent used to prepare the skin. The use of a depilatory or shaving cream is to be avoided.
- Preferred methods of excess hair removal in pediatric patients with lung transplantation. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Am Acad Dermatol 2006; 55(2):320-3
- CONCLUSIONS: Generalizability is limited by the response rate. Preferred methods according to different hair locations were not evaluated.In our pediatric transplantation population, depilatory cream was the most commonly used treatment for hypertrichosis whereas electric shaving had the highest ratings of satisfaction and future use.
- [Indications for medical lasers in dermatology]. [Review]
- PMPresse Med 2002 Feb 09; 31(5):223-31
- CONCLUSIONS: There are many potential indications, but a consensus has only been reached on those mentioned. The others remain to be confirmed.