- The Association of Frailty With Outcomes and Resource Use After Emergency General Surgery: A Population-Based Cohort Study. [Journal Article]
- A&AAnesth Analg 2017; 124(5):1653-1661
- CONCLUSIONS: After EGS, frailty is associated with increased rates of mortality, institutional discharge, and resource use. Strategies that might improve perioperative outcomes in frail EGS patients need to be developed and tested.
- Identifying longitudinal sustainable hierarchies in activities of daily living. [Journal Article]
- AGArch Gerontol Geriatr 2017 Apr 12; 71:122-128
- Activities of daily living serve as an indicator of progression in disability and rehabilitation. It is know that some of the measurement scales used show hierarchical properties indicating that acti...
Activities of daily living serve as an indicator of progression in disability and rehabilitation. It is know that some of the measurement scales used show hierarchical properties indicating that activities of daily living are lost and gained in a consistent pattern. Few studies have investigated the extent to which these patterns are sustained across time and across a range of disability. The study aimed to investigate the hierarchical properties of the activity of daily living items in the ValGraf functional ability scale, to establish if there is a hierarchy of items in the scale and to study the sustainability of the hierarchy over time. Secondary analysis of a retrospective database from 13,113 people over 65 years in 105 nursing homes in northern Italy, between 2008 and 2013 was conducted. Data were gathered 6-monthly and analysed using Mokken scaling to identify a hierarchy of items in the scale and if this was sustainable over time. A sustainable hierarchy of items was observed running in difficulty from urinary incontinence to feeding. The hierarchical structure of the activities of daily living observed in the present study is stable over time meaning that changes in total score for these items can be compared meaningfully across time.
- C1 Lateral Mass Displacement and Transverse Atlantal Ligament Failure in Jefferson's Fracture: A Biomechanical Study of the "Rule of Spence". [Journal Article]
- NNeurosurgery 2017 Apr 20
- CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest that although the rule of Spence is a conceptually valid measure of TAL integrity, TAL failure occurs at a significantly lower value than previously reported ( P < .001). Based on our literature review and findings, LMD is not a reliable independent indicator for TAL failure and should be used as an adjunctive tool to magnetic resonance imaging rather an absolute rule.
- Abrupt disruption of remote monitoring transmission as an indicator of safe backup mode. [Journal Article]
- EEuropace 2017 Apr 01; 19(4):595
- Short-term responses and resistance of soil microbial community structure to elevated CO2 and N addition in grassland mesocosms. [Journal Article]
- FMFEMS Microbiol Lett 2017 Apr 18
- Nitrogen (N) addition is known to affect soil microbial communities, but the interactive effects of N addition with other drivers of global change remain unclear. The impacts of multiple global chang...
Nitrogen (N) addition is known to affect soil microbial communities, but the interactive effects of N addition with other drivers of global change remain unclear. The impacts of multiple global changes on the structure of microbial communities may be mediated by specific microbial groups with different life-history strategies. Here, we investigated the combined effects of elevated CO2 and N addition on soil microbial communities using PLFA profiling in a short-term grassland mesocosm experiment. We also examined the linkages between the relative abundance of r- and K-strategist microorganisms and resistance of the microbial community structure to experimental treatments. N addition had a significant effect on microbial community structure, likely driven by concurrent increases in plant biomass and in soil labile C and N. In contrast, microbial community structure did not change under elevated CO2 or show significant CO2 x N interactions. Resistance of soil microbial community structure decreased with increasing fungal/bacterial ratio, but showed a positive relationship with the Gram positive/Gram negative bacterial ratio. Our findings suggest that the Gram positive/Gram negative bacteria ratio may be a useful indicator of microbial community resistance and that K-strategist abundance may play a role in the short-term stability of microbial communities under global change.
- A devices' game of thrones: cardiac resynchronization therapy vs. pacemaker. [Journal Article]
- EEuropace 2017 Apr 18
- CONCLUSIONS: This paper emphasizes the importance of knowing the distinct pacemaker brady mode behaviours after battery capacity depleted indicator has been reached, according to the pacemakers' manufacturer, including the possibility of automatic brady mode change from sensing to pacing mode. It also highlights the potential for severe bradycardia or asystole of this automatic brady mode change from a previously implanted pacemaker in pacemaker dependent patients submitted to CRT upgrade.
- A New Method for Partial Correction of Residual Confounding in Time-Series and Other Observational Studies. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Epidemiol 2017 Apr 18; :1-9
- Methods exist to detect residual confounding in epidemiologic studies. One requires a negative control exposure with 2 key properties: 1) conditional independence of the negative control and the outc...
Methods exist to detect residual confounding in epidemiologic studies. One requires a negative control exposure with 2 key properties: 1) conditional independence of the negative control and the outcome (given modeled variables) absent confounding and other model misspecification, and 2) associations of the negative control with uncontrolled confounders and the outcome. We present a new method to partially correct for residual confounding: When confounding is present and our assumptions hold, we argue that estimators from models that include a negative control exposure with these 2 properties tend to be less biased than those from models without it. Using regression theory, we provide theoretical arguments that support our claims. In simulations, we empirically evaluated the approach using a time-series study of ozone effects on asthma emergency department visits. In simulations, effect estimators from models that included the negative control exposure (ozone concentrations 1 day after the emergency department visit) had slightly or modestly less residual confounding than those from models without it. Theory and simulations show that including the negative control can reduce residual confounding, if our assumptions hold. Our method differs from available methods because it uses a regression approach involving an exposure-based indicator rather than a negative control outcome to partially correct for confounding.
- Development of comprehensive nomograms for evaluating overall and cancer-specific survival of laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma patients treated with neck dissection. [Journal Article]
- OOncotarget 2017 Feb 16
- CONCLUSIONS: Comprehensive nomograms were constructed to predict OS and CSS for LSCC patients treated with neck dissection more accurately.
- Prognostic significance of neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: a meta-analysis. [Journal Article]
- OOncotarget 2017 Feb 16
- Systemic inflammation responses can be reflected by peripheral blood count and combine index like the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte (NLR). The NLR has been reported to be a poor prognostic indicator in ca...
Systemic inflammation responses can be reflected by peripheral blood count and combine index like the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte (NLR). The NLR has been reported to be a poor prognostic indicator in cancer recently. However, the prognostic effect of the NLR in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) still unclear yet. We conducted this meta-analysis aiming to evaluate the pooled value of NLR in prognosis as well as clinical characteristics in malignant pleural mesothelioma. A total of 11 studies with 1533 patients were included in this meta-analysis, in which 10 studies investigated the prognosis role of NLR using hazard ratio (HR) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI). The elevated NLR was detected to be associated with a poor overall survival (OS)(HR=1.48, 95%CI=1.16-1.89, P < 0.001). The significant prognostic roles of NLR were also indicated in subgroup analyses. NLR level was also associated with histology instead of gender, stage or performance status (PS) score. These findings suggested that the elevated NLR could be a potential prognostic factor for malignant pleural mesothelioma patients and might be associated with histology as an efficient clinical index to stratify patients.
New Search Next
- Tumor heterogeneity assessed by texture analysis on contrast-enhanced CT in lung adenocarcinoma: association with pathologic grade. [Journal Article]
- OOncotarget 2017 Feb 16
- Objectives To investigate whether texture features on contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT) images of lung adenocarcinoma have association with pathologic grade.Methods A cohort of 148 patient...
Objectives To investigate whether texture features on contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CECT) images of lung adenocarcinoma have association with pathologic grade.Methods A cohort of 148 patients with surgically operated adenocarcinoma was retrospectively reviewed. Fifty-four CT features of the primary lung tumor were extracted from CECT images using open-source 3D Slicer software; meanwhile, enhancement homogeneity was evaluated by two radiologists using visual assessment. Multivariate logistic regression analysis was performed to determine significant image indicator of pathologic grade.Results Tumors of intermediate grade were more likely to be never smokers (P=0.020). Enhancement heterogeneity by visual assessment showed no statistical difference between intermediate grade and high grade (P=0.671). Among those 54 features, 29 of them were significantly associated with pathologic grade. Multivariate logistic regression analyses identified F33 (Homogeneity 1) (P=0.005) and F38 (Inverse Variance) (P=0.032) as unique independent image indicators of pathologic grade, and the AUC calculated from this model (AUC=0.834) was higher than clinical model (AUC=0.615) (P=0.0001).Conclusions Our study revealed that texture analysis on CECT images could be helpful in predicting pathologic grade of lung adenocarcinoma.