- Association Between Spending and Survival of Chronic Heart Failure Across Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. [Journal Article]
- JNJAMA Netw Open 2019 Jul 03; 2(7):e197238
- CONCLUSIONS: Despite marked differences in mean annual expenditures per veteran, only a modest association was found between CHF spending and survival at the VAMC level, with slightly higher survival observed at the extremes of the spending range. Hospitals with high expenditures may be less efficient than their peer institutions in producing optimal health outcomes.
- Institutional Experience With Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair and Clinical Outcomes: Insights From the TVT Registry. [Journal Article]
- JCJACC Cardiovasc Interv 2019 Jul 22; 12(14):1342-1352
- CONCLUSIONS: For transcatheter mitral valve repair with the MitraClip, increasing institutional experience was associated with improvements in procedural success, procedure time, and procedural complications. The impact of institutional experience was larger when considering the goal of achieving optimal MR reduction.
- Response of Amaranthus spp. following exposure to sublethal herbicide rates via spray particle drift. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2019; 14(7):e0220014
- The adverse consequences of herbicide drift towards sensitive crops have been extensively reported in the literature. However, little to no information is available on the consequences of herbicide d…
The adverse consequences of herbicide drift towards sensitive crops have been extensively reported in the literature. However, little to no information is available on the consequences of herbicide drift onto weed species inhabiting boundaries of agricultural fields. Exposure to herbicide drift could be detrimental to long-term weed management as several weed species have evolved herbicide-resistance after recurrent selection with sublethal herbicide rates This study investigated the deposition of glyphosate, 2,4-D, and dicamba spray particle drift from applications with two different nozzles in a low speed wind tunnel, and their impact on growth and development of Amaranthus spp. Herbicide drift resulted in biomass reduction or complete plant mortality. Inflection points (distance to 50% biomass reduction) for Amaranthus tuberculatus were 7.7, 4.0, and 4.1 m downwind distance for glyphosate, 2,4-D, and dicamba applications with the flat-fan nozzle, respectively, whereas these values corresponded to 2.8, 2.5, and 1.9 m for applications with the air-inclusion nozzle. Inflection points for Amaranthus palmeri biomass reduction were 16.3, 10.9, and 11.5 m for glyphosate, 2,4-D, and dicamba applications with the flat-fan nozzle, respectively, whereas these values corresponded to 7.6, 5.4, and 5.4 m for applications with the air-inclusion nozzle. Plants were more sensitive to glyphosate at higher exposure rates than other herbicides, whereas plants were more sensitive to 2,4-D and dicamba at lower exposure rates compared to glyphosate. Applications with the flat-fan nozzle resulted in 32.3 and 11.5% drift of the applied rate at 1.0 and 3.0 m downwind, respectively, whereas the air-inclusion nozzle decreased the dose exposure in the same distances (11.4 and 2.7%, respectively). Herbicide drift towards field boundaries was influenced by nozzle design and exposed weeds to herbicide rates previously reported to select for herbicide-resistant biotypes.
- Eliciting ERP Components for Morphosyntactic Agreement Mismatches in Perfectly Grammatical Sentences. [Journal Article]
- FPFront Psychol 2019; 10:1152
- The present event-related brain potential (ERP) study investigates mechanisms underlying the processing of morphosyntactic information during real-time auditory sentence comprehension in French. Empl…
The present event-related brain potential (ERP) study investigates mechanisms underlying the processing of morphosyntactic information during real-time auditory sentence comprehension in French. Employing an auditory-visual sentence-picture matching paradigm, we investigated two types of anomalies using entirely grammatical auditory stimuli: (i) semantic mismatches between visually presented actions and spoken verbs, and (ii) number mismatches between visually presented agents and corresponding morphosyntactic number markers in the spoken sentences (determiners, pronouns in liaison contexts, and verb-final "inflection"). We varied the type and amount of number cues available in each sentence using two manipulations. First, we manipulated the verb type, by using verbs whose number cue was audible through subject (clitic) pronoun liaison (liaison verbs) as well as verbs whose number cue was audible on the verb ending (consonant-final verbs). Second, we manipulated the pre-verbal context: each sentence was preceded either by a neutral context providing no number cue, or by a subject noun phrase containing a subject number cue on the determiner. Twenty-two French-speaking adults participated in the experiment. While sentence judgment accuracy was high, participants' ERP responses were modulated by the type of mismatch encountered. Lexico-semantic mismatches on the verb elicited the expected N400 and additional negativities. Determiner number mismatches elicited early anterior negativities, N400s and P600s. Verb number mismatches elicited biphasic N400-P600 patterns. However, pronoun + verb liaison mismatches yielded this pattern only in the plural, while consonant-final changes did so in the singular and the plural. Furthermore, an additional sustained frontal negativity was observed in two of the four verb mismatch conditions: plural liaison and singular consonant-final forms. This study highlights the different contributions of number cues in oral language processing and is the first to investigate whether auditory-visual mismatches can elicit errors reminiscent of outright grammatical errors. Our results emphasize that neurocognitive mechanisms underlying number agreement in French are modulated by the type of cue that is used to identify auditory-visual mismatches.
- Anti-tumor effects of PIM/PI3K/mTOR triple kinase inhibitor IBL-302 in neuroblastoma. [Journal Article]
- EMEMBO Mol Med 2019 Jul 16; :e10058
- The PI3K pathway is a major driver of cancer progression. However, clinical resistance to PI3K inhibition is common. IBL-302 is a novel highly specific triple PIM, PI3K, and mTOR inhibitor. Screening…
The PI3K pathway is a major driver of cancer progression. However, clinical resistance to PI3K inhibition is common. IBL-302 is a novel highly specific triple PIM, PI3K, and mTOR inhibitor. Screening IBL-302 in over 700 cell lines representing 47 tumor types identified neuroblastoma as a strong candidate for PIM/PI3K/mTOR inhibition. IBL-302 was more effective than single PI3K inhibition in vitro, and IBL-302 treatment of neuroblastoma patient-derived xenograft (PDX) cells induced apoptosis, differentiated tumor cells, and decreased N-Myc protein levels. IBL-302 further enhanced the effect of the common cytotoxic chemotherapies cisplatin, doxorubicin, and etoposide. Global genome, proteome, and phospho-proteome analyses identified crucial biological processes, including cell motility and apoptosis, targeted by IBL-302 treatment. While IBL-302 treatment alone reduced tumor growth in vivo, combination therapy with low-dose cisplatin inhibited neuroblastoma PDX growth. Complementing conventional chemotherapy treatment with PIM/PI3K/mTOR inhibition has the potential to improve clinical outcomes and reduce severe late effects in children with high-risk neuroblastoma.
- A clinically validated whole genome pipeline for structural variant detection and analysis. [Journal Article]
- BGBMC Genomics 2019 Jul 16; 20(Suppl 8):545
- CONCLUSIONS: Consistent read depth of PCR-free WGS enables reliable detection of structural variants of any size. Annotation both on gene and variant level allows clinicians to match reported patient phenotype with detected variants and confidently report causative finding in all clinical cases used for validation.
- Small-for-Gestational Age Birth Confers Similar Educational Performance through Middle School. [Journal Article]
- JPedJ Pediatr 2019 Jul 10
- CONCLUSIONS: The associations between SGA birth and students' standardized test scores and well-being were quantitatively small but persisted through elementary and middle school. The observed deficits were largely mitigated by demographic and familial factors.
- From discoveries in ageing research to therapeutics for healthy ageing. [Review]
- NatNature 2019; 571(7764):183-192
- For several decades, understanding ageing and the processes that limit lifespan have challenged biologists. Thirty years ago, the biology of ageing gained unprecedented scientific credibility through…
For several decades, understanding ageing and the processes that limit lifespan have challenged biologists. Thirty years ago, the biology of ageing gained unprecedented scientific credibility through the identification of gene variants that extend the lifespan of multicellular model organisms. Here we summarize the milestones that mark this scientific triumph, discuss different ageing pathways and processes, and suggest that ageing research is entering a new era that has unique medical, commercial and societal implications. We argue that this era marks an inflection point, not only in ageing research but also for all biological research that affects the human healthspan.
- The second number-estimation elbow: Are visual numbers greater than 20 evaluated differently? [Journal Article]
- APAtten Percept Psychophys 2019; 81(5):1512-1521
- Numerosity perception has long been understood to be divided between subitizing and estimation. In a series of three experiments (total N = 113), a new number "elbow" point in the estimation of visua…
Numerosity perception has long been understood to be divided between subitizing and estimation. In a series of three experiments (total N = 113), a new number "elbow" point in the estimation of visual number for numerosities of about 20 dots is confirmed. Below 20, mean estimates are linear with a slope of about 1 and power-function exponents for numerosity estimation approximate unity, though estimate variance increases dramatically above about 6 elements. For numerosities above 20, estimates become increasingly compressed, such that power function exponents are much lower (e.g., 0.7) and are lower still when both ranges are estimated within the same experimental procedure. The experiments described here show that the location of the inflection point appears insensitive to the range of numbers estimated and to differences in density.
New Search Next
- Leveraging Nonlinear Dynamic Models to Predict Progression of Neuroimaging Biomarkers. [Journal Article]
- BBiometrics 2019 Jul 02
- Using biomarkers to model disease course effectively and make early prediction is a challenging but critical path to improving diagnostic accuracy and designing preventive trials for neurological dis…
Using biomarkers to model disease course effectively and make early prediction is a challenging but critical path to improving diagnostic accuracy and designing preventive trials for neurological disorders. Leveraging the domain knowledge that certain neuroimaging biomarkers may reflect the disease pathology, we propose a model inspired by the neural mass model from cognitive neuroscience to jointly model nonlinear dynamic trajectories of the biomarkers. Under a nonlinear mixed effects model framework, we introduce subject- and biomarker-specific random inflection points to characterize the critical time of underlying disease progression as reflected in the biomarkers. A latent liability score is shared across biomarkers to pool information. Our model allows assessing how the underlying disease progression will affect the trajectories of the biomarkers, and, thus, is potentially useful for individual disease management or preventive therapeutics. We propose an EM algorithm for maximum likelihood estimation, where in the E-step, a normal approximation is used to facilitate numerical integration. We perform extensive simulation studies and apply the method to analyze data from a large multi-site natural history study of Huntington's Disease (HD). The results show that some neuroimaging biomarker inflection points are early signs of the HD onset. Finally, we develop an online tool to provide the individual prediction of the biomarker trajectories given the medical history and baseline measurements. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.