- Microscopic versus Endoscopic Inlay Butterfly Cartilage Tympanoplasty. [Journal Article]
- JAJ Audiol Otol 2019 Jun 25
- CONCLUSIONS: Endoscopic inlay tympanoplasty using the butterfly cartilage technique appears to be an effective alternative to microscopic tympanoplasty and results in excellent hearing.
- Characterizing the Effect of Automated Cell Sorting Solutions on Cytomorphological Changes. [Journal Article]
- ACActa Cytol 2019 Jun 24; :1-9
- CONCLUSIONS: We showed that cells swell in the solution after 1 h of storage and contract as time progresses. Together, our findings have important implications for how mathematical analysis is applied during the automated screening process.
- Current knowledge on Parmelia genus: Ecological interest, phytochemistry, biological activities and therapeutic potential. [Review]
- PPhytochemistry 2019 Jun 21; 165:112051
- Parmelia Acharius is one of the most representative genera within Parmeliaceae family which is the largest and the most widespread family of lichen-forming fungi. Parmelia lichens present a medium to…
Parmelia Acharius is one of the most representative genera within Parmeliaceae family which is the largest and the most widespread family of lichen-forming fungi. Parmelia lichens present a medium to large foliose thallus and they are distributed from the Artic to the Antartic continents, being more concentrated in temperate regions. According to its current description, the genus encompasses up to 41 different species and it is phylogenetically located within the Parmelioid clade (the largest group in the family). Interestingly, some of its species are among the most common epiphytic lichens in Europe such as Parmelia sulcata Taylor and Parmelia saxatilis (L.) Ach. The present work aims at providing a complete overview of the existing knowledge on the genus, from general concepts such as taxonomy and phylogeny, to their ecological relevance and biological interest for pharmaceutical uses. As reported, Parmelia lichens arise as valuable tools for biomonitoring environmental pollution due to their capacity to bioaccumulate metal elements and its response to acid rain. Moreover, they produce a wide array of specialized products/metabolites including depsides, depsidones, triterpenes and dibenzofurans, which have been suggested to exert promising pharmacological activities, mainly antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities. Herein, we discuss past and recent data regarding to the phytochemical characterization of more than 15 species. Even though the knowledge is still scarce in comparsion to other groups of organisms such as higher plants and other non-lichenized fungi. Reviewed works suggest that Parmelia lichens are worthy of further research for determining their actual possibilities as sources of bioactive compounds with potential therapeutic applications.
- Shades of surprise: Assessing surprise as a function of degree of deviance and expectation constraints. [Journal Article]
- CCognition 2019 Jun 21; 192:103986
- Merging recent surprise theories renders the prediction that surprise is a function of how strong an event deviates from what was expected and of how easily this event can be integrated into the cons…
Merging recent surprise theories renders the prediction that surprise is a function of how strong an event deviates from what was expected and of how easily this event can be integrated into the constraints of an activated expectation. The present research investigates the impact of both these factors on the behavioral, affective, experiential, and cognitive surprise responses. In two experiments (total N = 1257), participants were instructed that ten stimuli of a certain type would appear on the screen. Crucially, we manipulated the degree of deviance of the last stimulus by showing a stimulus that deviated to either no, a medium, or a high degree from the previous nine stimuli. Orthogonally to this deviation, we induced an expectation with either high, moderate, or low constraints prior to the experimental task. We measured behavioral response delay and explicit ratings of liking, surprise, and expectancy. Our findings point out an overall only low association between the behavioral, affective, experiential, and cognitive surprise responses and reveal rather dichotomous response patterns that differentiate between deviance and non-deviance of an event. Challenging previous accounts, the present evidence further implies that surprise is not about the ease of integrating an event with the constraints of an explicit a-priori expectation but rather reflects the automatic outcome of implicit discrepancy detection, resulting from a continuous cognitive fine-tuning of expectations.
- Evaluation and improvement of the novel method for vitrification of a few human sperms. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2019 Jun 17; 240:74-79
- CONCLUSIONS: The spermVD device was one of the effective platforms for freezing a few human sperms and using PICSI dish to select mature neat sperms could improve the quality of sperm after thawing. Density gradient centrifugation might be not required or suitable sperm preparation methods before freezing.
- Vanadium-basidiomycete fungi interaction and its impact on vanadium biogeochemistry. [Journal Article]
- EIEnviron Int 2019 Jun 21; 130:104891
- Fungi are well known to strongly interact with metals, thereby influencing metal biogeochemistry in the terrestrial environment. To assess and quantify potential fungi-vanadium (V) interactions, Aman…
Fungi are well known to strongly interact with metals, thereby influencing metal biogeochemistry in the terrestrial environment. To assess and quantify potential fungi-vanadium (V) interactions, Amanita muscaria, Armillaria cepistipes, Xerocomus badius and Bjerkandera adusta were cultured in media containing soluble V (VOSO4 or NaVO3) or solid-phase V of different chemical forms and oxidation state (V2O3, VO2, V2O5, or V-Ti magnetite slag). All fungi underwent physiological and structural changes, as revealed by alterations in FT-IR peak positions and intensities relative to the control, and morphological changes of mycelia, as observed by scanning electron microscopy. The diametric growth size generally decreased with decreasing oxidation state of V and with increasing concentrations of VOSO4 and NaVO3, implying that V toxicity is dependent on V speciation. The tolerance index, the ratio of treated and control mycelium (dry weight), shows different tendencies, suggesting additional factors influencing fungi weight, such as the formation of extrahyphal crystals. Vanadium accumulation from VOSO4 and NaVO3 medium in all fungi (up to 51.3 mg g-1) shows the potential of fungi to immobilise soluble V, thereby reducing its impacts on environmental and human health. Uptake and accumulation of V in slag was insignificant, reflecting the association of slag V with insoluble crystalline materials. The fungal accumulation of V in medium amended with V-oxides demonstrates the ability of fungi to solubilise solid-phase V compounds, thereby introducing previously immobile V into the V biogeochemical cycle and into the food chain where it may impact ecological and human health. A.muscaria lowered the pH of the medium substantially during cultivation, indicating acidolysis and complexolysis via excretion of organic acids (e.g. oxalic acid). Oxidation of VOSO4 was observed by a colour change of the medium to yellow during B. adusta cultivation, revealing the role of fungally-mediated redox transformation in V (im)mobilisation. The calculated removal efficiencies of soluble V were 40-90% for A. cepistipes and X. badius, but a much lower recovery (0-20%) was observed from V oxides and slag (0-20%) by all fungi. This suggests the probable application of fungi for bio-remediation of mobile/soluble V in contaminated soils but not of V incorporated in the lattice of soil minerals.
- A single or short time repeated arsenic oral exposure in mice impacts mRNA expression for signaling and immunity related genes in the gut. [Journal Article]
- FCFood Chem Toxicol 2019 Jun 21; :110597
- Arsenic is prevalent in contaminated drinking water and affects more than 140 million people in 50 countries. While the wide-ranging effects of arsenic on neurological development and cancer draw the…
Arsenic is prevalent in contaminated drinking water and affects more than 140 million people in 50 countries. While the wide-ranging effects of arsenic on neurological development and cancer draw the majority of concern, arsenic's effects on the gut mucosa-associated immune system are often overlooked. In this study, we show that 24 h after a single dose [low dose (50 μg/kg bw), medium dose (100 μg/kg bw) or high dose (200 μg/kg bw)] of arsenic by oral gavage, mice show significantly reduced gut mucosa-associated mRNA expression for the key genes involved in the signaling pathways central to immune responses, such as Nuclear factor κB (NFκB), Extracellular signal-regulated protein kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2), p38 and Myeloid differentiation protein 88-dependent (Myd88) pathways. Additionally, mRNA expression of apoptosis, inflammasomes and inflammatory response genes are significantly downregulated in the animals exposed to arsenic. Comparisons of time-dependent effects (24 h vs 48 h) from low dose arsenic exposed animals showed a significant shift in expression of Myd88 alone, suggesting that the down regulation was sustained for the key genes/signaling pathway. An extended eight-day exposure to arsenic showed a decreased state of immune preparedness, though not as diminished as seen in the single dose exposure.
- The Central Sensitization Inventory predict pain-related disability for musculoskeletal disorders in the primary care setting. [Journal Article]
- EJEur J Pain 2019 Jun 24
- CONCLUSIONS: CSI has clinical utility as a prediction tool regardless of pain duration in patients with musculoskeletal disorders in primary care settings. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Reciprocal signaling and direct physical interactions between fibroblasts and breast cancer cells in a 3D environment. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2019; 14(6):e0218854
- Tumorigenic cells undergo cell aggregation and aggregate coalescence in a 3D Matrigel environment. Here, we expanded this 3D platform to assess the interactions of normal human dermal fibroblasts (NH…
Tumorigenic cells undergo cell aggregation and aggregate coalescence in a 3D Matrigel environment. Here, we expanded this 3D platform to assess the interactions of normal human dermal fibroblasts (NHDFs) and human primary mammary fibroblasts (HPMFs) with breast cancer-derived, tumorigenic cells (MDA-MB-231). Medium conditioned by MDA-MB-231 cells activates both types of fibroblasts, imbuing them with the capacity to accelerate the rate of aggregation and coalescence of MDA-MB-231 cells more than four fold. Acceleration is achieved 1) by direct physical interactions with MDA-MB-231 cells, in which activated fibroblasts penetrate the MDA-MB-231/Matrigel 3D environment and function as supporting scaffolds for MDA-MB-231 aggregation and coalescence, and 2) through the release of soluble accelerating factors, including matrix metalloproteinase (MMPs) and, in the case of activated NHDFs, SDF-1α/CXCL12. Fibroblast activation includes changes in morphology, motility, and gene expression. Podoplanin (PDPN) and fibroblast activation protein (FAP) are upregulated by more than nine-fold in activated NHDFs while activated HPMFs upregulate FAP, vimentin, desmin, platelet derived growth factor receptor A and S100A4. Overexpression of PDPN, but not FAP, in NHDF cells in the absence of MDA-MB-231-conditioned medium, activates NHDFs. These results reveal that complex reciprocal signaling between fibroblasts and cancer cells, coupled with their physical interactions, occurs in a highly coordinated fashion that orchestrates aggregation and coalescence, behaviors specific to cancer cells in a 3D environment. These in vitro interactions may reflect events involved in early tumorigenesis, particularly in cases of field cancerization, and may represent a new mechanism whereby cancer-associated fibroblasts (CAFs) promote tumor growth.
New Search Next
- Are frequency and severity of workplace violence etiologic factors of posttraumatic stress disorder? A 1-year prospective study of 1,763 social educators. [Journal Article]
- JOJ Occup Health Psychol 2019 Jun 24
- Although cross-sectional studies have associated workplace violence (WPV) with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), prospective studies are needed to ascertain the exposure leading to the developmen…
Although cross-sectional studies have associated workplace violence (WPV) with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), prospective studies are needed to ascertain the exposure leading to the development of PTSD. Using a 1-year prospective survey design, with monthly measures of violence, and 1,763 participants, we investigated whether frequency and/or severity of WPV could be considered etiological factors for PTSD. Binary logistic regression models were used, with subclinical and clinical PTSD as outcomes. The models were adjusted for demographic, lifestyle, and trauma-related factors, as well as strain in the work environment. Compared with the nonexposed group, frequency of WPV increased the risk of PTSD in an exposure-response pattern: low frequencyOR = 4.0, 95% confidence intervals [CI] [1.0, 16.3], medium frequency OR = 5.9, 95% CI [1.4, 24.3], and high frequency OR = 6.5, 95% CI [1.6, 25.6]. We also found that when threat was the most severe incident of WPV, the risk of PTSD increased, OR = 5.4, 95% CI [1.2, 24.2]. In addition, severe incidents of WPV increased the risk of PTSD, OR = 6.5, 95% CI [1.6, 26.0]. This prospective study consolidates existing cross-sectional studies, which have indicated that frequency of WPV is an etiological factor for PTSD. The study underlines the need for integrating an understanding of the pattern and characteristics of WPV in future research. Specifically, we propose the use of frequency of WPV as an additional factor in targeting employees at risk of developing PTSD. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2019 APA, all rights reserved).