- Pre-treatment ratio of periprostatic to subcutaneous fat thickness on MRI is an independent survival predictor in hormone-naïve men with advanced prostate cancer. [Journal Article]Int J Clin Oncol 2019IJ
- CONCLUSIONS: Pre-treatment ratio of PPF-to-SCF thickness on MRI is an independent predictor of survival in hormone-naïve men with advanced PCa. This could be useful for predicting which patients are more likely to develop castration-resistant PCa.
- Imaging-Negative Hepatocellular Carcinoma Presents as an Intrabiliary Mass. [Case Reports]ACG Case Rep J 2019; 6(5):e00068AC
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the second most common cause of cancer-related death and one of the most prevalent cancers worldwide. HCC prognosis remains poor with an average survival rate between 6 and 12 months. Obstructive jaundice, as a main clinical feature, is uncommon in HCC. HCC with bile duct invasion is much rarer than HCC with vascular invasion. We present a case where a patient's …
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the second most common cause of cancer-related death and one of the most prevalent cancers worldwide. HCC prognosis remains poor with an average survival rate between 6 and 12 months. Obstructive jaundice, as a main clinical feature, is uncommon in HCC. HCC with bile duct invasion is much rarer than HCC with vascular invasion. We present a case where a patient's HCC was diagnosed by endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and digital cholangioscopy because his HCC manifested as an obstructing lesion in the intrahepatic duct, but not in the liver.
- Brainwave Self-Regulation During Bispectral IndexTM Neurofeedback in Trauma Center Nurses and Physicians After Receiving Mindfulness Instructions. [Journal Article]Front Psychol 2019; 10:2153FP
- Fifty-seven level I trauma center nurses/physicians participated in a 4-day intervention to learn relaxed alertness using mindfulness-based instructions and EEG neurofeedback. Neurofeedback was provided by a Bispectral IndexTM (BIS) system that continuously displays a BIS value (0-100) on the monitor screen. Reductions in the BIS value indicate that power in a high-frequency band (30-47 Hz) is de…
Fifty-seven level I trauma center nurses/physicians participated in a 4-day intervention to learn relaxed alertness using mindfulness-based instructions and EEG neurofeedback. Neurofeedback was provided by a Bispectral IndexTM (BIS) system that continuously displays a BIS value (0-100) on the monitor screen. Reductions in the BIS value indicate that power in a high-frequency band (30-47 Hz) is decreased and power in an intermediate band (11-20 Hz) is increased. A wellbeing tool with four positive affect and seven negative affect items based on a 5-category Likert scale was used. The wellbeing score is the sum of the positive affect items (positive affect score) and the reverse-scored negative affect items (non-stress score). Of functional concern were four negative affect items rated as moderately, quite a bit, or extremely in a large percent. Of greater concern were all four positive affect items rated as very slightly or none at all, a little, or moderately in over half of the participants. Mean and nadir BIS values were markedly decreased during neurofeedback when compared to baseline values. Post-session relaxation scores were higher than pre-session relaxation scores. Post-session relaxation scores had an inverse relationship with mean and nadir BIS values. Mean and nadir BIS values were inversely associated with NFB cognitive states (i.e., widening the visual field, decreasing effort, attention to space, and relaxed alertness). For all participants, the wellbeing score was higher on day 4 than on day 1. Participants had a higher wellbeing score on day 4 than a larger group of nurses/physicians who did not participate in the BIS neurofeedback trial. Eighty percent of participants demonstrated an improvement in the positive affect or non-stress score on day 4, when compared to day 1; the wellbeing, non-stress, and positive affect scores were substantially higher on day 4 than on day 1. Additionally, for that 80% of participants, the improvements in wellbeing and non-stress were associated with reductions in day 3 BIS values. These findings indicate that trauma center nurses/physicians participating in an EEG neurofeedback trial with mindfulness instructions had improvements in wellbeing. Clinical Trial Registration: www.ClinicalTrials.gov, identifier NCT03152331. Registered May 15, 2017.
- Genes and variants in hematopoiesis-related pathways are associated with gemcitabine/carboplatin-induced thrombocytopenia. [Journal Article]Pharmacogenomics J 2019PJ
- Chemotherapy-induced myelosuppression, including thrombocytopenia, is a recurrent problem during cancer treatments that may require dose alterations or cessations that could affect the antitumor effect of the treatment. To identify genetic markers associated with treatment-induced thrombocytopenia, we whole-exome sequenced 215 non-small cell lung cancer patients homogeneously treated with gemcita…
Chemotherapy-induced myelosuppression, including thrombocytopenia, is a recurrent problem during cancer treatments that may require dose alterations or cessations that could affect the antitumor effect of the treatment. To identify genetic markers associated with treatment-induced thrombocytopenia, we whole-exome sequenced 215 non-small cell lung cancer patients homogeneously treated with gemcitabine/carboplatin. The decrease in platelets (defined as nadir/baseline) was used to assess treatment-induced thrombocytopenia. Association between germline genetic variants and thrombocytopenia was analyzed at single-nucleotide variant (SNV) (based on the optimal false discovery rate, the severity of predicted consequence, and effect), gene, and pathway levels. These analyses identified 130 SNVs/INDELs and 25 genes associated with thrombocytopenia (P-value < 0.002). Twenty-three SNVs were validated in an independent genome-wide association study (GWAS). The top associations include rs34491125 in JMJD1C (P-value = 9.07 × 10-5), the validated variants rs10491684 in DOCK8 (P-value = 1.95 × 10-4), rs6118 in SERPINA5 (P-value = 5.83 × 10-4), and rs5877 in SERPINC1 (P-value = 1.07 × 10-3), and the genes CAPZA2 (P-value = 4.03 × 10-4) and SERPINC1 (P-value = 1.55 × 10-3). The SNVs in the top-scoring pathway "Factors involved in megakaryocyte development and platelet production" (P-value = 3.34 × 10-4) were used to construct weighted genetic risk score (wGRS) and logistic regression models that predict thrombocytopenia. The wGRS predict which patients are at high or low toxicity risk levels, for CTCAE (odds ratio (OR) = 22.35, P-value = 1.55 × 10-8), and decrease (OR = 66.82, P-value = 5.92 × 10-9). The logistic regression models predict CTCAE grades 3-4 (receiver operator characteristics (ROC) area under the curve (AUC) = 0.79), and large decrease (ROC AUC = 0.86). We identified and validated genetic variations within hematopoiesis-related pathways that provide a solid foundation for future studies using genetic markers for predicting chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia and personalizing treatments.
- Assessment of Biventricular Function by Three-Dimensional Speckle Tracking Echocardiography in Adolescents and Young Adults with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection: A Pilot Study. [Journal Article]Cardiology 2019; :1-11C
- CONCLUSIONS: 3DSTE may help to identify HIV patients at high cardiovascular risk allowing early detection of biventricular dysfunction in the presence of normal LV ejection fraction and in the absence of pulmonary hypertension. LV strain impairment in HIV patients is less prominent and widespread compared to DCM patients.
- The Market Reacts Quickly: Changes in Paclitaxel Vascular Device Purchasing Within the Ascension Healthcare System. [Journal Article]J Invasive Cardiol 2019JI
- CONCLUSIONS: Purchase volumes of paclitaxel devices decreased immediately during the months following publication of the related meta-analysis. Total Ascension-wide paclitaxel device purchase volume in February 2019 demonstrated a 43.1% reduction from peak monthly purchase volume during the assessed period and a 32.5% reduction compared with November 2019, the last month preceding publication of the meta-analysis.
- Impact of circadian rhythmicity and sleep restriction on circulating endocannabinoid (eCB) N-arachidonoylethanolamine (anandamide). [Journal Article]Psychoneuroendocrinology 2019; 111:104471P
- CONCLUSIONS: The 24-h rhythm of AEA is markedly different from that of 2-AG, being of lesser amplitude and biphasic, rather than monophasic. These observations suggest distinct regulatory pathways of the two eCB and indicate that time of day needs to be carefully controlled in studies attempting to delineate their relative roles. Moreover, unlike 2-AG, AEA is not altered by sleep restriction, suggesting that physiological perturbations may affect AEA and 2-AG differently. Similar 24-h profiles were observed for OEA and PEA following normal and restricted sleep, further corroborating the validity of the wave-shape and lack of response to sleep loss observed for the AEA profile. Therapeutic approaches involving agonism or antagonism of peripheral eCB signaling will likely need to be tailored according to time of day.
- Systematic Review of Expected Weight Changes After Birth for Full-Term, Breastfed Newborns. [Review]J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 2019JO
- CONCLUSIONS: Weight loss is commonly 7% to 8% of birth weight or greater by the third day after birth among healthy, full-term, breastfed newborns.
- Clinical and Optic Disc Characteristics of Patients Showing Visual Recovery in Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy. [Journal Article]J Neuroophthalmol 2019JN
- CONCLUSIONS: A younger age at onset and a less severe reduction of visual acuity at the nadir were associated with a higher probability of VR. Presence of peripapillary telangiectasia and optic disc hyperemia may serve as predictive factors for poor visual prognosis in patients with LHON.
New Search Next
- Stereotactic radiotherapy for prostate bed recurrence after prostatectomy, a multicentric series. [Journal Article]BJU Int 2019BI
- CONCLUSIONS: SSRT showed to yield significant biochemical control and allowed ADT delay despite adverse features.