- Dialysate Flow: Is the Less the Better? [Letter]
- BPBlood Purif 2019 Jul 15; :1-2
- Anti-inflammatory treatment with a soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibitor attenuates seizures and epilepsy-associated depression in the LiCl-pilocarpine post-status epilepticus rat model. [Journal Article]
- BBBrain Behav Immun 2019 Jul 12
- CONCLUSIONS: TPPU treatment after SE attenuates SRS and epilepsy-associated depressive behaviours in the LiCl-pilocarpine induced post-SE rat model, and it also exerts anti-inflammatory effects in the brain. Our findings suggest a new therapeutic approach for epilepsy and its comorbidities, especially depression.
- Decreased H3K9ac level of KLF4 mediates podocyte developmental toxicity induced by prenatal caffeine exposure in male offspring rats. [Journal Article]
- TLToxicol Lett 2019 Jul 12
- This study aimed to verify the toxic effects of prenatal caffeine exposure (PCE) on the podocyte development in male offspring, and to explore the underlying intrauterine programming mechanisms. The …
This study aimed to verify the toxic effects of prenatal caffeine exposure (PCE) on the podocyte development in male offspring, and to explore the underlying intrauterine programming mechanisms. The pregnant rats were administered with caffeine (30 to 120 mg/kg⋅d) during gestational day (GD) 9 to 20. The male fetus on GD20 and the offspring at postnatal week (PW) 6 and PW28 were sacrificed. The results indicated that PCE caused ultrastructural abnormalities on podocyte, and inhibited the expression of podocyte marker genes such as Nephrin, Wilms tumor 1 (WT1), the histone 3 lysine 9 acetylation (H3K9ac) level in the Kruppel-like factor 4 (KLF4) promoter and its expression in the male offspring from GD20 to PW28. Meanwhile, the expression of glucocorticoid receptor (GR) and histone deacetylase 7 (HDAC7) in the fetus were increased by PCE. In vitro, corticosterone increased GR and HDAC7 whereas reduced the H3K9ac level of KLF4 and KLF4/Nephrin expression. KLF4 over-expression reversed the reduction of Nephrin expression, knockdown of HDAC7 and GR antagonist RU486 partially reversed the inhibitory effects of corticosterone on H3K9ac level and KLF4 expression. In conclusion, PCE caused podocyte developmental toxicity in male offspring, which was associated with corticosterone-induced low-functional programming of KLF4 through GR/HDAC7/H3K9ac pathway.
- Successful early sofosbuvir-based antiviral treatment after transplantation of kidneys from HCV-viremic donors into HCV-negative recipients. [Journal Article]
- TITranspl Infect Dis 2019 Jul 15; :e13146
- CONCLUSIONS: Early administration of a sofosbuvir-based regimen to HCV-negative recipients of kidneys from HCV-viremic donors is feasible and safe. The definition of an optimal therapeutic approach warrants further investigation. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- A 24-week Anemia Correction Study of Daprodustat in Japanese Dialysis Patients. [Journal Article]
- TATher Apher Dial 2019 Jul 15
- Daprodustat is an oral hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor developed for treating anemia of chronic kidney disease. This 24-week, phase 3, open-label study (NCT02829320) evaluated w…
Daprodustat is an oral hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor developed for treating anemia of chronic kidney disease. This 24-week, phase 3, open-label study (NCT02829320) evaluated whether daprodustat could achieve and maintain target hemoglobin levels in Japanese hemodialysis patients with anemia not receiving an erythropoiesis-stimulating agent. Twenty-eight patients received daprodustat 4 mg once daily for 4 weeks, after which doses were adjusted to achieve a hemoglobin target of 10.0-12.0 g/dL (inclusive). Baseline mean hemoglobin was 9.10 g/dL and mean change from baseline at 4 weeks was 0.79 g/dL (95% CI, 0.53 to 1.05). Mean hemoglobin levels reached the target range by week 8 and were maintained within this range through week 24. Daprodustat 4 mg once daily increased hemoglobin over the first 4 weeks. Throughout the 24-week study, daprodustat achieved and maintained hemoglobin within the target range and no new safety concerns were identified in hemodialysis patients not receiving erythropoiesis-stimulating agents. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Transplantation of Kidneys From Hepatitis C Infected Donors To Hepatitis C Negative Recipients: Single Center Experience. [Journal Article]
- AJAm J Transplant 2019 Jul 15
- Our aim was to evaluate the safety of transplanting kidneys from HCV infected donors in HCV uninfected recipients. Data collected from 53 recipients in a single center, observational study included d…
Our aim was to evaluate the safety of transplanting kidneys from HCV infected donors in HCV uninfected recipients. Data collected from 53 recipients in a single center, observational study included donor and recipient characteristics, liver and kidney graft function, new infections and de novo donor specific antibodies and renal histology. Treatment with a direct-acting antiviral regimen(DAA) regimen was initiated when HCV-RNA was detected. The mean±SD age of recipients was 53±11 years, 34% were female, 19% and 79% of recipients were white and African-American, respectively. The median and interquartile range(IQR) time between transplant and treatment initiation was 76(IQR:68-88) days. All 53 recipients became viremic (genotype:1a(N=34), 1b(N=1), 2(N=3),and 3(N=15)). The majority(81%) of recipients did not experience clinically significant increases(>3-times higher than upper limit of the normal value) in aminotransferase levels and their HCV RNA levels were in the 5-6log range. One patient developed fibrosing cholestatic hepatitis with complete resolution. All recipients completed antiviral treatment and 100% were HCV-RNA negative and achieved 12-week sustained virologic response. The estimated GFRs at end of treatment and 12-weeks post-treatment were 67±21ml/min/1.73m2 ,and 67±17ml/min/1.73m2 ,respectively. Four recipients developed acute rejection. Kidney transplantation from hepatitis C infected donors to hepatitis C negative recipients should be considered in all eligible patients. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- The impact of an integrated diabetes and kidney service on patients, primary and specialist health professionals in Australia: A qualitative study. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2019; 14(7):e0219685
- CONCLUSIONS: Health professionals and patients reported that a co-designed integrated diabetes kidney service improved integration of care and improved health and management of health. However, some aspects of the process of care, health professional education and patient self-management remained challenging.
- A prospective, observational study on conversion of clinically isolated syndrome to multiple sclerosis during 4-year period (MS NEO study) in Taiwan. [Journal Article]
- PlosPLoS One 2019; 14(7):e0202453
- CONCLUSIONS: 'Below normal BMI' and 'number of demyelinating lesions (≥4)' are significant predictors of conversion from CIS to MS. A low conversion rate to MS in Taiwanese CIS patients and majority of them having a mild course and minimal disability suggest the roles of geographic, genetic and ethnic factors.
- Impact of Structured Pathways for Postcardiac Arrest Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. [Journal Article]
- CCCrit Care Med 2019; 47(8):e710-e716
- CONCLUSIONS: Following cardiac arrest, patients treated in a structured care pathway may have a substantially higher likelihood of favorable functional outcome than those who receive standard care. These findings suggest benefit of a highly organized approach to postcardiac arrest care, in which a cluster of evidence-based interventions are delivered by a specialized interdisciplinary team. Given the overall low certainty of evidence, definitive recommendations will need confirmation in additional high-quality studies.
New Search Next
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress and proteasome pathway involvement in human podocyte injury with a truncated COL4A3 mutation. [Journal Article]
- CMChin Med J (Engl) 2019 Jul 10
- CONCLUSIONS: We demonstrated that excessive ERS and ERS-induced apoptosis were involved in the podocyte injury caused by the NC1-truncated COL4A3 mutation. Furthermore, proteasome pathway intervention might become a potential treatment for collagen type IV-related nephropathy caused by a severely truncated COL4A3 mutation.